Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,868 times

Advertisements

it's dry. Everything is freaking dry here. I'm from the East coast and we sell wine in grocery stores and malls. Any state that doesn't allow wine to be sold in normal pharmacies and grocery stores, has a random liquor tax, and has liquor stores closed on sundays is DRY. haha it's like they punish you here for drinking. I don't even drink that much. I have a glass of wine with my dinner every now and then and I feel like I'm doing something illegal here. All I know is that Oklahoma is by far the worst state I've ever been in when it comes to alcohol. Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttaylor123 View Post
it's dry. Everything is freaking dry here. I'm from the East coast and we sell wine in grocery stores and malls. Any state that doesn't allow wine to be sold in normal pharmacies and grocery stores, has a random liquor tax, and has liquor stores closed on sundays is DRY. haha it's like they punish you here for drinking. I don't even drink that much. I have a glass of wine with my dinner every now and then and I feel like I'm doing something illegal here. All I know is that Oklahoma is by far the worst state I've ever been in when it comes to alcohol. Absolutely ridiculous.
Considering that the Federal Government had banned sales of alcohol in Oklahoma In 1834 (Indian Territory back then), it is pretty decent. Try a dry county in Texas to see real misery. Colorado had the same laws until 2 years ago.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Since Oklahoma has allowed sales of 3.2% beer for many decades, it's hard to believe there may still be counties outside of Oklahoma that don't even allow any beer.

I'm hoping Payne County will allow an election this year to legalize legalize liquor by the drink on Sunday, so I can order a drink in a Stillwater restaurant on Sunday, if I feel like it. I think it would be good for business.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoonamike View Post
What is the reason of liquor banning?

Cisco CCNA Certification
Cisco CCIE Certification
I guess people think to get drunk on Sunday is a sin before God, so in Oklahoma close the liquor stores on Sunday and in some counties don't allow liquor by the drink on Sunday. I don't understand why it's still dry in some places every day. I guess it's feared that people will get drunk before God, if alcohol is legal.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Do they still close liquor stores on Election Day? That was always the funniest one to me, I think it was a holdover from the days where they were afraid someone would try to bribe voters with booze.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttaylor123 View Post
I'm working up here in Pennsylvania, East Coast state, and their beer laws are worst than ours! I still haven't figured it out. I think you have to go to a state owned Beer store. But I was in a Wegmans (Great store by the way, wish we had them in OK) and they have a state beer store inside of the grocery store I think... And you can't buy anything on Sunday. And with beer you can't buy a six or 12 pack, you have to buy a case! But in Wegmans they were selling craft beers by the six pack...

Some parts of Arkansas and Texas are bone dry. That means you can't buy any bear or liquor at all. You can buy beer and liquor in all 77 of Oklahoma's counties.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Liquor stores are closed in Texas on Sundays and election days too, I believe. Of course, you can still get beer and wine in the grocery stores on Sundays, after 12:00pm assuming your in a county that is not completely dry.

Heck, the entire southern half of Dallas county was completely dry until just a few years ago. The entire time I lived there,we had to drive "across the river" to buy beer. Oklahoma does not have the market cornered on stupid liquor laws.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I guess people think to get drunk on Sunday is a sin before God, so in Oklahoma close the liquor stores on Sunday and in some counties don't allow liquor by the drink on Sunday. I don't understand why it's still dry in some places every day. I guess it's feared that people will get drunk before God, if alcohol is legal.
Well, I hear at Cowboy Church you just bring it in with you!

A little shot of whiskey from the flask never hurt anybody to stay awake and listen to the preacher's sermon!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhpatton View Post
Most counties with larger metro areas did away with liquor by the drink. Tulsa, Washington Co. (Bartlesville) Oklahoma City etc all repealed it back in the late 80's.

You know why Oklahoma is so windy? Kansas blows and Texas sucks.
Just to clarify. the Oklahoma law that passed what was popularly called "liqour by the drink" was passed in 1984. It allowed county option to allow restaraunts and bars to openly serve alcohol.

Prior to that the state had what was affectionately called "liquor by the wink." This system is still used in so called "dry counties". What happens is that bars have/had to be called "private clubs". You bought a club membership at the door for that night and you were supposed to bring your own bottle of liquor and pay the bar to set you up. Nobody else in the club was supposed to drink out of your bottle.

In the larger cities, the bars would just buy their own liquor and slap a club members name on it and sell it to everyone.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I remember the BYOB in Delaware County at a restaurant. You bought the membership and ice and rented the glass. The one time I bought wine for my spouse, coke for me, and chips for both of us, it was a hoot. ABC stated if alcohol and pop was sold the building had to be physically divided. I bought the wine that had to be in a sack and paid for it before left the building. I then entered the same building through a second door. This side was filled with soda and junk food. I paid again. It didn't take me too long to find the other liquor store. I bought a case of wine and everything else at the grocery store next door. ABC=Alcohol Beverage Control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma