U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-17-2007, 07:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 23,438,505 times
Well, I'm not so sure that the rich want to go to Miami or Cali anymore. Things have apparently changed in those areas a LOT these past few years. Check out the forums with the most posts. NC is in the lead. NC is just as "redneck" as you call it as OK is. Tx. isn't lagging far behind Fla. right now in posts either. Things shift and people learn about many problems in areas and are looking for peace and quiet. I'll bet if this forum would've been here 10 or 15 years ago, Az. and Cali. would've been flooded with questions.

Just curious though~since the new Peninsula will be built, will the Shangrila still be in existence? Won't the Peninsula be owned by the same company that the Shangrila is owned by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-17-2007, 06:41 PM

450 posts, read 1,290,153 times
Smile I'll take Manhattan! Times are achangin'

Well, I do not think you can stop the clock. Grand Lake is being discovered. I do not think it will turn into a Midwest Malibu just for rich folks. But there is such a thing as reverse snobbery. I am not rich but do know that not all rich folks are bad. Anyway, I am a college professor and a boy from Northern Minnesota who has discovered the lake and I think we can strike a balance between what you call "redneck" and just plain retired folk from the Caterpillar plant in Peoria and Anheuser Busch (Budweiser) in St. Louis. These are my neighbors on the lake. They worked hard all of their lives and are comfortably "middle class" and not snobs.

You don't have to live in a trailer park and drink beer to be just a good ole boy!--although I have no objection to those who do. There is still affordable housing in the area. As to the Peninsula--Monkey Island has always been pricey. The area is big enough to handle lots of folks with different incomes. And the big plus is JOBS for young people who will not have to run off to Tulsa or Kansas City but can stay close to family and friends. I think that is a big plus.

Best to develop a more positive outlook on life and accept something that is simply going to change no matter how nostalgic you are for the olden times. Hey, you may be pleasantly surprised if you give it half a chance. I do know one thing. People like me are coming in and we will not go away anytime soon. Hope we is not the big bad wolf in too many peoples eyes. I love Grand Lake and want to help the community in any little way I can. And I will work for peanuts or even nothing cause I will be officially retired and volunteer community work will be my middle name.

And please know, Manhattan, that I am not saying this in a personal way to get under your skin. You are entitled to your opinion. And I know life is not always to be viewed through rose-colored glasses and local folk do suffer when priced out of their neighborhoods by the newcomers. But we are all in this together. God Bless.

Last edited by Kurt; 07-17-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Speaking a bit more softly without the big stick.

Unread 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM

45,993 posts, read 34,738,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Well, I do not think you can stop the clock. Grand Lake is being discovered. I do not think it will turn into a Midwest Malibu just for rich folks. But there is such a thing as reverse snobbery. I am not rich but do know that not all rich folks are bad. Anyway, I am a college professor and a boy from Northern Minnesota who has discovered the lake and I think we can strike a balance between what you call "redneck" and just plain retired folk from the Caterpillar plant in Peoria and Anheuser Busch (Budweiser) in St. Louis. These are my neighbors on the lake. They worked hard all of their lives and are comfortably "middle class" and not snobs.

You don't have to live in a trailer park and drink beer to be just a good ole boy!--although I have no objection to those who do. There is still affordable housing in the area. As to the Peninsula--Monkey Island has always been pricey. The area is big enough to handle lots of folks with different incomes. And the big plus is JOBS for young people who will not have to run off to Tulsa or Kansas City but can stay close to family and friends. I think that is a big plus.

Best to develop a more positive outlook on life and accept something that is simply going to change no matter how nostalgic you are for the olden times. Hey, you may be pleasantly surprised if you give it half a chance. I do know one thing. People like me are coming in and we will not go away anytime soon. Hope we is not the big bad wolf in too many peoples eyes. I love Grand Lake and want to help the community in any little way I can. And I will work for peanuts or even nothing cause I will be officially retired and volunteer community work will be my middle name.

And please know, Manhattan, that I am not saying this in a personal way to get under your skin. You are entitled to your opinion. And I know life is not always to be viewed through rose-colored glasses and local folk do suffer when priced out of their neighborhoods by the newcomers. But we are all in this together. God Bless.
Great outlook, we have experienced a little of the "poor boy" snobery here in our little county. The Rio Grande River (if you can call it a river) separates our community from the actual city. There is a golf course in our area and the developers came in, starting in the 70s and started building. Thus people in town think of us as the "Rich Folks" from everywhere by New Mexico. Beleive me, most of the people who live here are not rich, in fact many are working class, lots of retired military and railroaders, but the reputation exists. That is why the city, who could use the tax base will not annex us. They simply don't like us.

Nita

Unread 07-18-2007, 11:00 PM

I was doing a bit of checking tonight to learn more about the Shangri-la and the Peninsula and was pretty disappointed. Has anyone ever read about the Shangri-la on Trip Advisor? I believe that ALL the feedback was negative.

Unread 07-19-2007, 03:06 AM

82 posts, read 175,367 times
No doubt Shangri La failed to offer near as many amenites as its visitors expected. If The Peninsula doesn't come through with all the amenities planned, it can't expect to do much better. I found one site where the developer claims that state support seriously lacks and could result in the decision to cut back on some of the amenities described in their devlopment plans. If that occurs, I can't imagine it could hope to do any better than the resort it is supposed to be replacing. 70 condo units ranging in price from $375,000 to $459,000 plus 150 motel rooms should have a lot of impact on the tourism as well as real estate prices but not a single real estate agent I've spoken to believes that will be the case. That leads me to believe that The Penisula will have to greatly improve upon what was there AND the local real estate agents aren't convinced that is going to happen. They must know something we don't or they won't believe it til it happens.

Unread 07-19-2007, 04:43 AM

11,886 posts, read 23,587,496 times
Interesting take SinCity. Thanks for the information. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Unread 07-19-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I was doing a bit of checking tonight to learn more about the Shangri-la and the Peninsula and was pretty disappointed. Has anyone ever read about the Shangri-la on Trip Advisor? I believe that ALL the feedback was negative.
Jammie, I haven't read much on TripAdvisor about Shngri-la but my feelings about TripA is the general posters on the forum are pretty negative period and I am a part time travel agent. Let's put it this way, I take what I read on that forum with a grain of salt, plus remember, often we are dealing with travelers that are accustom to the very best and they think they will find it everwhere they choose to stay.

It's like going to Las Vegas or Laughlin NV. Anyone who visits Laughlin and expects to have the same type of accommodations they get in Vegas will be highly disappointed. This isn't saying Laughlin isn't wonderful (we love it) but you have to know what to expect.

Nita

Unread 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity View Post
No doubt Shangri La failed to offer near as many amenites as its visitors expected. If The Peninsula doesn't come through with all the amenities planned, it can't expect to do much better. I found one site where the developer claims that state support seriously lacks and could result in the decision to cut back on some of the amenities described in their devlopment plans. If that occurs, I can't imagine it could hope to do any better than the resort it is supposed to be replacing. 70 condo units ranging in price from $375,000 to $459,000 plus 150 motel rooms should have a lot of impact on the tourism as well as real estate prices but not a single real estate agent I've spoken to believes that will be the case. That leads me to believe that The Penisula will have to greatly improve upon what was there AND the local real estate agents aren't convinced that is going to happen. They must know something we don't or they won't believe it til it happens.
The realtor we were dealing with in Grove held a similar view as what you are saying. I am not saying he didn't want the project to succeed, he did, he just had his doubts. NMnnita

Unread 07-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Nita, I know what you mean. Most places have one or two people that aren't satisfied just cause they're picky, but you've got to read the reviews. They're just not good at all. I believe two out of the whole dozen or so were positive.

So am I understanding this right? When they once have the Peninsula built, will the Shangri-la be torn down? OR will both be operational? I've got to say~I'm a bit surprised at the price of the condos!! We already checked the price for a room at the Shangri-la and were pleasantly surprised. But then we read the reviews.

Unread 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Nita, I know what you mean. Most places have one or two people that aren't satisfied just cause they're picky, but you've got to read the reviews. They're just not good at all. I believe two out of the whole dozen or so were positive.

So am I understanding this right? When they once have the Peninsula built, will the Shangri-la be torn down? OR will both be operational? I've got to say~I'm a bit surprised at the price of the condos!! We already checked the price for a room at the Shangri-la and were pleasantly surprised. But then we read the reviews.
My understanding is: the Shangri-la will go when the Penninsula is complete. I am sure others have better into than I.

Nita

ps I know what you mean about negative reviews but here is an example of what I found on TripA ( I do depend on them quite often or read at least)

This actually goes back to the Vegas/Laughlin issue. We were going to be spending one night in Laughlin or either side of our annual Vegas trip last May. After I booked the hotel (which had changed names and been purchased by a new company) I started reading reviews. Now, I need to add, we are adicted to Laughlin and have stayed there more times than I can count. In fact we are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary there next srping and renewing our wedding vows in laughlin. Back to the reviews, 90% of them were so negative, I almost cancelled and choose another hotel, but I really wanted to try this one since it had changed hands.

Our overall view: it wasn't Las Vegas, the rooms still need to be renivated but they were certainly not dirty like many had said, the stains on the carpet were pretty much exagerated. One of the problems was the carpet was the kind that shows shadows so some, of what appeared to be stains were just marks from the weave. The entrance had been re-done, new restauarants added, all new slot machines and the staff was, for the most part very friendly.

I will admit, we are not nit picky so that probably helped, but I was wondering, after 2 nights if we were in the same hotel I had read the reviews on? Again it does still need some help but i wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Reading reviews is very important and getting the pros and the cons, if nothing else makes us better educated but I still say, be aware of totally negative reivews.

And now, are we going to stay at the Shangri la, probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma