Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM

183 posts, read 242,728 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to visit Oklahoma since I was a little girl. I absolutely love the country. So my husband finally saved up enough money to take a vacation. We want to come to Oklahoma not just to visit but to do research and see if it would be better to live there than it is here in Indiana. I have a few question for both our visit and for my research if yall dont mind?

What kind of jobs are available? My husband has worker warehouse mainly and some trash service experiences. I am trying to go to school and find a job either in office, because Im good at it or retail.

How are the schools? I have 3 girls my twins will be startin Kid- in August and I want to make sure they have the best education.

The cost of living. We would need a 3 bedroom at the least with 2 bathrooms. What does the average rent run around in good areas?

What areas are the best to move to that have the lowest crime?

When would be the best time for us to visit? If there is any festivals going on that we might enjoy Id like to see if we can schedule something around it.

I appreciate any help or advice given thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Check out Bartlesville.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 AM

152 posts, read 370,114 times
Check out my town!

>>>>>>> City of Guthrie >>>> Guthrie Chamber of Commerce - Historic Guthrie Oklahoma

Old 01-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks but can you tell me bout the cost living, education and jobs?

Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylee963 View Post
Thanks but can you tell me bout the cost living, education and jobs?
I can't help you about the schools, but a friend of mine is moving here without a job since she can't find one in Texas. She can't make it there. The current economy has hit us hard, but we are far better off than a lot of places.

As to cost of living, when I moved here from California, I was just stunned by how much lower it is. There are also a lot of smaller towns nearer the urban centers where its cheaper to live. I estamate that its about half of what it cost me in California.

I suggest checking some of the realestate sites and calling agents for information on waht is available in their area for what. This is what I did and got a good idea of what I could expect when I started to look.

Good luck and enjoy your visit. As a satisfied new resident, hope you join us.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,420 times
It's as easy here to get jobs now as it has been. This area has been touched by the recession but not as much as other places. Still jobs in retail and warehousing are nearly always available for people who are dependable and willing to work hard and do most anything needed.

3 Bedroom house is probably in the $1,000 to $1,500 per month range. Rentals are available but not plentiful in my experience. Definitely can be good to work with an agent.

Suburban schools are probably better than Oklahoma City depending upon specific location. But the Oklahoma City school district has definitely improved.

Probably best to avoid the hottest part of summer.

Best wishes.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
I have been wanting to visit Oklahoma since I was a little girl. I absolutely love the country. So my husband finally saved up enough money to take a vacation. We want to come to Oklahoma not just to visit but to do research and see if it would be better to live there than it is here in Indiana. I have a few question for both our visit and for my research if yall dont mind?

What kind of jobs are available? My husband has worker warehouse mainly and some trash service experiences. I am trying to go to school and find a job either in office, because Im good at it or retail.

How are the schools? I have 3 girls my twins will be startin Kid- in August and I want to make sure they have the best education.

The cost of living. We would need a 3 bedroom at the least with 2 bathrooms. What does the average rent run around in good areas?

What areas are the best to move to that have the lowest crime?

When would be the best time for us to visit? If there is any festivals going on that we might enjoy Id like to see if we can schedule something around it.

I appreciate any help or advice given thank you.
Here are some web sites and links for Tulsa Oklahoma.......Real Estate
Tulsa Area Condo Rentals - Condos & Townhouses for Rent - Oodle
Tulsa Real Estate & Tulsa Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Tulsa County Duplexes For Sale - Tulsa Oklahoma
ERA John Hausam Realtors® | Rental & Leasing Properties (http://www.johnhausam.com/leasing/ - broken link)
AOL Search (http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=Average+Price+for+a+3+Bedroom+2+bathroom+ House+In+Tulsa&s_it=spelling - broken link)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=12468032

Turner Turnpike Seperates Tulsa from Oklahoma City 86 Miles Toll Road
Turner Turnpike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I-44 Turner Turnpike WESTBOUND from Tulsa Toll Plaza to I-35

For Tulsa Oklahoma Major Venues and Events...my thread....
What Is The Next Iconic Project Due For Tulsa Oklahoma

Oklahoma City Bricktown and Downtown Attractions
Bricktown - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Dining, Shopping, Events
Welcome To Bricktown (http://www.welcometobricktown.com/index.html - broken link)

Tulsa Booker T. Washington Magnet High School Nationally Ranked
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booker_...ulsa,_Oklahoma)
Historic Tulsa: Booker T. Washington High School, 1913

Oklahoma City Top High Schools
What is the Best Private high School In Oklahoma

Tulsa OK Medical Offices
http://www.hga.com/experience/warren_ambulatory.html#home (broken link)

Last edited by Howest2008; 01-16-2010 at 09:19 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM

Thank you guys/gals for your help. 1200/month is way to high for me. Im around 700/month and we cant buy anything right now because of our credit. Were working on egtting it paid off. We will hopefully be out there spring. Now heres another question I need to ask. Is there ANY parts of OK I should avoid? I have 3 kids, I love the country and we like to keep to ourselves realy so we dont get sucked up in all the drama. So I ened some place very safe for my kids that has plenty of yard for them and a dog.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Thank you guys/gals for your help. 1200/month is way to high for me. Im around 700/month and we cant buy anything right now because of our credit. Were working on egtting it paid off. We will hopefully be out there spring. Now heres another question I need to ask. Is there ANY parts of OK I should avoid? I have 3 kids, I love the country and we like to keep to ourselves realy so we dont get sucked up in all the drama. So I ened some place very safe for my kids that has plenty of yard for them and a dog.
I really don't think there's any place that needs to be avoided (per se). The only big cities in OK are Tulsa and Oklahoma City, The rest is mostly Farms, rolling hills, lakes. woodland.ect, But I've only ventured in the N&SW part of OK.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Generally speaking, I would simply avoid any Oklahoma town that has been going down in population. Why get on board a slowly sinking ship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma