U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 AM

5 posts, read 12,328 times
Default Any information on Pryor and Northeast OK

I am considering a move to Pryor Oklahoma. I have not been out there as of yet, and would love some information regarding this town and Northeast Oklahoma or as I have seen, "The green country."

I am looking for the good, bad and the ugly. I have three kids 10 and under. I am looking for information about schools, weather, life in Pryor, what the country looks like, what there is to do in a town this size, shopping for household items, shopping for clothes or retail stuff, outdoor activities, stuff for kids, etc.

I would really love some information on the weather? Are the summers too hot/humid? Also, how does this part of the country affect asthma as my youngest has asthma.

I have heard that this does not look like stereotypical OK (flat and dry) but is actually a rather pretty area with rolling hills and lots of green.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 08:25 AM

47,264 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Ican't help you too much cause we are about to make our first trip to NE OK, next week. Well it isn't our first trip, we considered the area many years ago but thought we wanted to escape the humidity. Now we have decided we would rather live with humidity than stay here with no family for 700 miles.

As for Asthma, is there really a good place for asthamic kids. Our son was and still is a sever sufferer. The doctor told us, when he was very young, most of it has to do with what an individual is alergic to. You can move to the desert for the dry air and if he is alergic to cactus problems will arise. I have never had a problem in my life til we moved to NM> I don't have asthma but from mid Feb until early May I suffer from hay fever so bad: why, because I am alergic to so many of the trees here, especially Juniper.

As for being green, yes, much of OK is green from what we have heard and seen. Its the south part and the panhandle that is flat and plain. Or at least that has been what we have seen so far.

Nita

Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 AM

11,882 posts, read 24,258,425 times
Although Pryor is in NE Oklahoma, which is mostly green and hilly, you won't be "in" the hills in Pryor. If you head about 8 or 10 miles to the east, you'll start getting into the foothills of the Ozark mountains though. You'll notice a big change in the terrain right after you cross the bridge over Hudson Lake into Salina. The hills begin on Salina's west side.

The weather will be hot and humid in the summer, from June to late September. Humidity is bad, but not sticky wet like you'll find in the deep south. Still, humid enough to make it feel pretty uncomfortable at times. As far as asthma goes I wouldn't expect it to be a great place for someone with asthma since I believe that most asthmatics are better off in dry climates; I could be wrong however.

In mide June expect temps to be in the mid to upper 80s, crossing the 90 degree mark a few times before mid June. July/August temps can range from 90-100+, but generally around 95 degrees. September it starts to cool off somewhat, and by the end of September it can start to slip back into early June temps. October throught early November can be pleasant with cool, dry days and temps in the upper 70s to low 80s in mid October to very pleasant 60 degree highs with cool nights by mid November (first freez in mid to late November). December through February are generally cold, with some snow now and then, but never more than 12 inches or so a year. Spring can be up and down with a mixture of all of the above (except for summer temps). I think the last freeze is in late March or early April.

Go to GreatSchools.net to check out the schools. Pryor High School (on that website) had a four out of five star rating. Pryor high student to teacher ratio is 15 students to 1 teacher. There is one high school, one junior high school, and about 6 elementary schools in Pryor. Population is a little over 8,600.

I can't help you with any personal information about Pryor because I've never been there. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-09-2007 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the great information. If there are any locals on here, I would appreciate your thoughts also.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 PM

I noticed that the actual name of the town that I want info on is listed as Pryor Creek on the City data website. So now that the name Pryor Creek is in the message thread it may come up on the main page for City Data. So if any of you hae any info on this area that I listed above, I would appreciate it.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,134 times
hey i like your school

Old 05-19-2010, 01:53 PM

hay if anyons out there i just went to say that i am makin good grades

Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorblaine View Post
Thanks for the great information. If there are any locals on here, I would appreciate your thoughts also.
sometimes people may look down on you but you are the one thats a superstar. just like my mom said it takes a real person to stand up for whats right. it more powerful to stand up for whats right then stant by and let it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma