Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 09:56 PM

41 posts, read 97,833 times

Advertisements

What is the most unique town in northeastern Oklahoma? I know that for many, amish communities will come to mind immediately, but I am thinking more in terms of mainstream culture. Also, I know that this is a particularly beautiful area, with lots to offer in terms of scenery and recreation but for the purpose of this thread, I'm more interested in learning about unique community characteristics, people and attitudes; dare I say, a place you might be tempted to call progressive or even funky. Please be sure and tell me why the town you suggest is unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:47 PM

144 posts, read 484,511 times
Pawhuska is my favorite. Osage history and the Tall Grass Prairie.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
I would pick Bartlesville because the high height of its downtown towers are unusual for a small or kinda small Oklahoma town, especially the Price Tower, the only high rise ever constructed that famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed. There's a lot of culture in the architecture in Bartlesville. For an additional example, the community center there is stunning.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
Pawhuska is my favorite. Osage history and the Tall Grass Prairie.
Thank you for reinforcing my impression, Lasomeday. Pawhuska was barely on my radar when I began this search but once I started reading about it, it has quickly become a finalist....Now, if there were only jobs there....

Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I would pick Bartlesville because the high height of its downtown towers are unusual for a small or kinda small Oklahoma town, especially the Price Tower, the only high rise ever constructed that famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed. There's a lot of culture in the architecture in Bartlesville. For an additional example, the community center there is stunning.
Yes, in terms of architecture, Bartlesville is definitely unique and really one-of-a-kind. In learning about Bartlesville, what stood out to me was a combination of cleanliness, upscale appearance and atmosphere, as well as consistent maintenance of that appearance, lots of trails for walking and running, and plenty of land dedicated recreation within the city.

Currently, Bartlesville is number three on my list of places in Oklahoma I'd like to live and will rise or fall based on what I learn about it and the other frontrunners, going forward. My biggest concern about Bartlesville is perhaps, due to the perpetuation of an invalid stereotype on my part, having never been there. Specifically, sometimes communities which are upscale also include a prevailing attitude among the majority, or most vocal, of the population that they are somehow better than others and must constantly remind everyone of this with their overbearing behavior. Ironically, folks who are truly wealthy, affluent and sucessful are also secure enough not to have to rub everyone else's nose in it constantly. It is the wannabes, those in the upper middle in terms of income, who can be the most obnoxious in this regard. You'll observe them talking down to store clerks, waiters, etc., and trying to make a spectacle of being hard-to-please, demanding and difficult. Their personal and family relationships are often a disaster because they are compelled to constantly compete and measure themselves with others and I assure you, that is a deadend road. Of course, people of this sort exist at every economic strata but when you get a large number of them together, vying against everyone else to prove that they have arrived and belong in an upscale community, it can make for a very depressing social atmosphere. I live within 15 miles of a place like this now and completely avoid it altogether, though it is a visually, beautiful place.

So I'm wondering, is Bartlesville an upscale community of mostly secure, fulfilled, generally kind and respectful people, or has competitiveness and petty jealousy choked the enjoyment out of living in this community? Sincere thanks to all who respond to this question.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Well, my guess that Bartlesville has been humbled enough by all the downsizing and layoffs in its past by Phillips Petroleum, now known as Conoco-Phillips. I think at one time as many as 10,000 worked for Phillips there.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I'm picking Tahlequah because of it's history and enmeshing with the Cherokee tribe from the time of relocation to the present day. The history of president John Ross and Elias Boudinot from their days in Western North Carolina to the tragic end in Park Hill (outside of Tahlequah) after removal is absolutely fascinating.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 PM

It's very hard to pick just one, but yep, Tahlequah holds the number 1 spot on my list, right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma