Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,228,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
I keep reading about nigs but how about wets, wetters, w*tbacks etc.........
Oklahoma Law makers have passed several strict anti imagration laws a few years back and some of the more consertive law makers are looking at what AZ has been doing and thinking of doing the same here in OK. They are just doing that to pander to the right wing voters.

That being said I don't think I have ever heard the term Wets or wetters I have heard the word W#tback but that has been years ago.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am just trying to be helpful. but if seems strange that you are concerned about prejudice people when a few post up you say that Democrats point of thinking is perverted. Bud, that is a prejudice remark its self. A lot of people on this post will not take you very seriously with remarks like that one. Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
I don't discuss politics or religion with people, so that I'm not the norm in either is not an issue. I've found that religion wise people here tend to be believers but its more private. I'm pagan, and I know there is a community here somewhere, but in California would be ambushed by Christians of the fringe and told I need to be saved. Hasn't happened here. I view religion as strictly a private matter.

I can't say what happens with latinos, since there aren't many in this town, but everyone here has been incredably friendly. I've had neighbors check to see if I need anything when I first moved in and was a total stranger.

Can't say about the police here since I only see them drive down the street, but I frequently don't lock my door. One thing you'll find different is the pace of life. In socal "soon" means tomorrow. Here "tomorrow" may be next week. But its a very relaxing pace if you don't like a rushy rushy kind of life.

If prices are a concern, the area between OKC and Tulsa is cheaper to start out in. Stillwater is also a nice place. A friend of mine recently moved there. Its a kind of small town atmosphere with all the stores your want on one street. If you look there when school is out, you should be able to find a place a lot cheaper since the students leave for the summer and there are a lot of empties.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,345,825 times
I've had my share of "The Fast Lane" in So Cal. Here in OK things are slower,lower priced and life is alot easier.

And yes, there are some people in Ok that are prejudice, but I've found that's it's mostly found in some people over 60.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 PM

30 posts, read 115,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Oklahoma Law makers have passed several strict anti imagration laws a few years back and some of the more consertive law makers are looking at what AZ has been doing and thinking of doing the same here in OK. They are just doing that to pander to the right wing voters.

That being said I don't think I have ever heard the term Wets or wetters I have heard the word W#tback but that has been years ago.

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am just trying to be helpful. but if seems strange that you are concerned about prejudice people when a few post up you say that Democrats point of thinking is perverted. Bud, that is a prejudice remark its self. A lot of people on this post will not take you very seriously with remarks like that one. Just saying
Didn't realize that those remarks would bother anyone because I tried to not spell the whole thing out while also not using the more derogatory terms.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't discuss politics or religion with people, so that I'm not the norm in either is not an issue. I've found that religion wise people here tend to be believers but its more private. I'm pagan, and I know there is a community here somewhere, but in California would be ambushed by Christians of the fringe and told I need to be saved. Hasn't happened here. I view religion as strictly a private matter.

I can't say what happens with latinos, since there aren't many in this town, but everyone here has been incredably friendly. I've had neighbors check to see if I need anything when I first moved in and was a total stranger.

Can't say about the police here since I only see them drive down the street, but I frequently don't lock my door. One thing you'll find different is the pace of life. In socal "soon" means tomorrow. Here "tomorrow" may be next week. But its a very relaxing pace if you don't like a rushy rushy kind of life.

If prices are a concern, the area between OKC and Tulsa is cheaper to start out in. Stillwater is also a nice place. A friend of mine recently moved there. Its a kind of small town atmosphere with all the stores your want on one street. If you look there when school is out, you should be able to find a place a lot cheaper since the students leave for the summer and there are a lot of empties.
Thank you.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,910,910 times
que pasa hermanos......beinvenidos...........

I thinnk the only racism you will find here is that racism you bring with you............gotta remember, everyone here is NDN.......and proud of it. We all have brown skinned kin. The most you will be asked is what nation are you from.........

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I've had my share of "The Fast Lane" in So Cal. Here in OK things are slower,lower priced and life is alot easier.

And yes, there are some people in Ok that are prejudice, but I've found that's it's mostly found in some people over 60.
Where abouts in SoCal did you live?

Where in OK do you currently live?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
que pasa hermanos......beinvenidos...........

I thinnk the only racism you will find here is that racism you bring with you............gotta remember, everyone here is NDN.......and proud of it. We all have brown skinned kin. The most you will be asked is what nation are you from.........
Hello,

What is NDN?

Oh, I never did learn spanish. Didn't grow up speaking it or hearing it too much.

Last edited by rpeter; 06-02-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,228,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
Hello,

What is NDN?

Oh, I never did learn spanish. Didn't grow up speaking it or hearing it too much.
NDN=Indian

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,345,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
NDN=Indian
Native Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma