U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 AM
 
30 posts, read 104,595 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've never been to Oklahoma, please tell me what a person with brown skin might encounter. I'm looking to move to one of the cities in between OKC and Tulsa (Cushing, Stillwater, Glencoe, Ripley, Perkins, Yale, Oilton, Drumright, Jennings, Morrison). What is the level of racism in these cities and police crookedness?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,718,090 times
Reputation: 2407
Being white and having mostly white friends that are both liberal and conservative I can tell you that I hardly hear rude remarks about people of other races. I am a blue collar worker and when going out to eat lunch with coworkers I never hear rude comments.

Now that being said most Okies hate Obama. I hear him called the "N" word quit often. I was at the McDonalds in Eufaula and was next to a table that had 5 men. The news was on the TV and there was a story about the BP oil spill and Obama was touring the area. The men at the table called him "Our "N" president" and N this and N that...And they were being somewhat loud it was like they wanted others to know how they felt about our President.

I don't know if these people are always this way toward other races or if it is more like politicians are free game. Obams had less votes in Oklahoma than any other state by percentage, and didn't win any of our 77 counties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
20,548 posts, read 15,257,792 times
Reputation: 6275
Stillwater is probably the least racist of the towns you mention due to being accustomed to the number of international students who live there. And I don't hear of Obama when not spoken well of referred to in a racist way here in this town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: OKLAHOMA
1,788 posts, read 3,817,571 times
Reputation: 988
I do not think this state is racist. I've lived in several states too. The reason for disliking Obama is not his skin color but his politics. Red, white or black, politics is politics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM
 
30 posts, read 104,595 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Being white and having mostly white friends that are both liberal and conservative I can tell you that I hardly hear rude remarks about people of other races. I am a blue collar worker and when going out to eat lunch with coworkers I never hear rude comments.

Now that being said most Okies hate Obama. I hear him called the "N" word quit often. I was at the McDonalds in Eufaula and was next to a table that had 5 men. The news was on the TV and there was a story about the BP oil spill and Obama was touring the area. The men at the table called him "Our "N" president" and N this and N that...And they were being somewhat loud it was like they wanted others to know how they felt about our President.

I don't know if these people are always this way toward other races or if it is more like politicians are free game. Obams had less votes in Oklahoma than any other state by percentage, and didn't win any of our 77 counties.

Hello,

Thanks for reply. My idea for moving to Oklahoma came to mind when I started reading the Bible again. I wanted to move to Tulsa so I can attend ORU but I have several places that my current employer can transfer me to: Stillwater, Norman, and Tulsa. The reason for me wanting to stay between Tulsa and OKC is so I can find another job in either of the big cities. What do you think?

I am republican, half latino and half white but most people say I look full latino. People also say that I look like Lou Diamond Phillips and Peter North (porno actor) rolled into one! I voted for "W" and McCain and I do NOT like the democrat point of view, it is perverted.

Last edited by rpeter; 06-02-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
 
30 posts, read 104,595 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Stillwater is probably the least racist of the towns you mention due to being accustomed to the number of international students who live there. And I don't hear of Obama when not spoken well of referred to in a racist way here in this town.
Thanks.
Can you give me some insight on the other cities I mentioned? Also, what are the police officers like - racial profiling/crooked. Will they plant drugs in my truck because they don't like me? Will they make me take a sobriety test and not be satisfied?

Last edited by rpeter; 06-02-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
 
30 posts, read 104,595 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I do not think this state is racist. I've lived in several states too. The reason for disliking Obama is not his skin color but his politics. Red, white or black, politics is politics.
Thanks. I would like to move to Oklahoma but I would like to know first what to expect before I tie myself into an apartment lease. The farthest east I have been is Prescott, AZ. I like Arizona but I want to move farther away from California. My original plan was Montana but I started reading the Bible again after a very long absence and thought I should attend ORU.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,718,090 times
Reputation: 2407
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post
Hello,

Thanks for reply. My idea for moving to Oklahoma came to mind when I started reading the Bible again. I wanted to move to Tulsa so I can attend ORU but I have several places that my current employer can transfer me to: Stillwater, Norman, and Tulsa. The reason for me wanting to stay between Tulsa and OKC is so I can find another job in either of the big cities. What do you think?

I am republican, half latino and half white but most people say I look full latino. People also say that I look like Lou Diamond Phillips and Peter North (porno actor) rolled into one! I voted for "W" and McCain and I do NOT like the democrat point of view, it is perverted.
If you think that the democrat point of view is perverted then you will fit in just fine Oklahoma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Tulsa, OK
2,572 posts, read 3,718,090 times
Reputation: 2407
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I do not think this state is racist. I've lived in several states too. The reason for disliking Obama is not his skin color but his politics. Red, white or black, politics is politics.
Yeah I agree that a lot of people may dislike Obama because of his politics, but when you hear him call the N$##er President it is hard for me to believe its not racist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
 
30 posts, read 104,595 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Yeah I agree that a lot of people may dislike Obama because of his politics, but when you hear him call the N$##er President it is hard for me to believe its not racist.
I keep reading about nigs but how about wets, wetters, w*tbacks etc.........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top