U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 AM

20 posts, read 54,136 times

Advertisements

I've posted a couple of times asking about specific schools, but maybe a more general thread will garner more information. We are thinking of relocating from the NOVA suburbs of DC, which we love, to Omaha/Lincoln. There are so many great schools where we live, and I feel like I have a good handle on their reputations beyond what you can glean from websites. My twin sons will just be starting high school if/when we move, and I need to do my homework on finding the best fit for them. They have never been to public school, not because our publics aren't good (they are), but my boys are shy and really good students, so a small school that is academically selective and rigorous is best for us. My kids are good tennis players who will definitely play on the school tennis team but not "jocks." We are a fairly conservative Catholic family and would greatly prefer a Catholic high school. Oh, the other thing is that both my sons are pretty involved in music -- it would be great to have an orchestra program, since one son plays cello, and both play currently in a school jazz band (percussion and guitar). Any info on Skutt, Prep, Mount Michael, Brownell-Talbot, Pius X, and how they compare, or any other schools I don't know about would be greatly appreciated! Also, if there are any DC transplants out there who could tell me which NE school is most like which DC school, that would be really helpful. Thanks so much!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 AM

152 posts, read 317,277 times
SKUTT -coed- located in the best part of town of any of the private schools mentioned. They have a very competative Tennis program with summer clinics which should appeal to your boys. There are lots of nice houses in close proximity ranging in price from 135,000 on up.

PREP -- boys only- but they have competative athletics programs. Centrally located.

Mount Michael -boys only - and it is a boarding school - not in town (kind of secluded) - I don't know if you "have" to board your students to obtain admission - but just know that there are going to be kids there that might be there for behavioral correction.

Brownell Talbot - mid-town location - they have tennis. This is an Episcopal institution with a pretty strong "liberal/progressive indoctrination" program.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,918 times
What about Gross? That's a private Catholic school, isn't it?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks. I will look at Gross, as well. As for Mount Michael, tones, does it have a reputation for being a school for boys with behavioral issues, or are you just saying that about boarding schools generally? I definitely want to avoid a school that specifically caters to kids who have been "problems" at other schools.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamom View Post
Thanks. I will look at Gross, as well. As for Mount Michael, tones, does it have a reputation for being a school for boys with behavioral issues, or are you just saying that about boarding schools generally? I definitely want to avoid a school that specifically caters to kids who have been "problems" at other schools.
It's not a school 'for' problem boys -- but it is a boarding school - I'm making a broad generalization - I'm sure they run a tight ship. But it should be something for you to consider. I think you can't go wrong with Skutt.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
Quote:
I've posted a couple of times asking about specific schools, but maybe a more general thread will garner more information. We are thinking of relocating from the NOVA suburbs of DC, which we love, to Omaha/Lincoln. There are so many great schools where we live, and I feel like I have a good handle on their reputations beyond what you can glean from websites. My twin sons will just be starting high school if/when we move, and I need to do my homework on finding the best fit for them. They have never been to public school, not because our publics aren't good (they are), but my boys are shy and really good students, so a small school that is academically selective and rigorous is best for us. My kids are good tennis players who will definitely play on the school tennis team but not "jocks." We are a fairly conservative Catholic family and would greatly prefer a Catholic high school. Oh, the other thing is that both my sons are pretty involved in music -- it would be great to have an orchestra program, since one son plays cello, and both play currently in a school jazz band (percussion and guitar). Any info on Skutt, Prep, Mount Michael, Brownell-Talbot, Pius X, and how they compare, or any other schools I don't know about would be greatly appreciated! Also, if there are any DC transplants out there who could tell me which NE school is most like which DC school, that would be really helpful. Thanks so much!
I currently live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC, and am a graduate of the Catholic schools in Omaha, and I'm familiar with the schools in Fairfax and Arlington counties in NoVa. Where do your kids currently attend school? I might be able to make some comparisons.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Smithy77--that's perfect! We live in Great Falls. Our boys go to the Heights, which is a small all boys independent Catholic school in MD you may not have heard of. We love the school. We also like St. Anselms for its academic reputation, but it was too far for us. GP and Landon seem too high testosterone for my boys. A school with the academic reputation of St. Anselms or St. Albans would be great. A little intimidated by the bigger co-ed schools for my shy guys, but a school along the lines of Potomac could work for us (if not too liberal). Gonzaga might work but a bit large. The dicoesan schools (such as O'Connell) don't really appeal b/c they are big and don't seem to be that academically selective, just from my observation. TJ appeals to my kids for the academic rigor, although they're not particularly science/technology focused. Thoughts? Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,230 times
Quote:
Smithy77--that's perfect! We live in Great Falls. Our boys go to the Heights, which is a small all boys independent Catholic school in MD you may not have heard of. We love the school. We also like St. Anselms for its academic reputation, but it was too far for us. GP and Landon seem too high testosterone for my boys. A school with the academic reputation of St. Anselms or St. Albans would be great. A little intimidated by the bigger co-ed schools for my shy guys, but a school along the lines of Potomac could work for us (if not too liberal). Gonzaga might work but a bit large. The dicoesan schools (such as O'Connell) don't really appeal b/c they are big and don't seem to be that academically selective, just from my observation. TJ appeals to my kids for the academic rigor, although they're not particularly science/technology focused. Thoughts? Thanks again!
Actually, I am familiar with the Heights---had a co-worker/friend who went there 20 years ago. Aside from the religious component, the school that most resembles the Heights is Brownell-Talbot---lots of individual attention, top-notch academics, encourages an atmosphere of mutual respect among students, small student body (the High School has about 120-140 students) small classes, etc.. O'Connell is similar to Skutt and Gross, but I think both have more rigorous academic standards than O'Connell, and both are about half the size of O'Connell (600+ coed). Gonzaga is similar to Creighton Prep---very rigorous academic standards/both run by the Jesuits, but it may be a bit larger than what you're looking for (about 900+ boys). There is a conservative Catholic high school in Omaha---I think it's called Mater Dei, but it's run by a renegade schismatic religious order (the Order of Mary Immaculate or something) that's been excommunicated by Rome. I'm not sure if you're that conservative, but it's there if you want to check into it. Good luck.

Last edited by smithy77; 06-15-2010 at 02:51 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 04:51 AM

Thank you. That is very helpful!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 AM

Just be aware that Brownell-talbot is NOT Catholic - and if the way it's website is worded is any indication - it's going to have a strong liberal slant to the curriculum. I think Skutt - with it's relatively small size, excellent (safest part of town) location and strong tennis programs would be attractive to you. Even though it's coed and you say your boys are shy --I think it would be better for them to be around girls now and learn how to socialize - rather than have those awkward moments in college. Skutt would be a nice sheltered environment for them to overcome their shyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or