U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,108,584 times
Reputation: 3889

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
Who would want to go to Council Bluffs other than to go to the casinos, anyway?
Well... Now that bars in Omaha can stay open until 2:00 AM I'd guess that even fewer people will be going from Omaha to Council Bluffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
175 posts, read 389,082 times
Reputation: 45
I used to work in CB and I tried to always be careful around those lights, I normally am and don't like running yellows but when you know there are cameras you try a little harder ya know? I swear it's like they were trying to get me, I never thought of the short yellow before but it makes sense since I can think of two times I went through yellow/red there, never got a ticket. Each time it was because traffic was backed up though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,108,584 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post
I used to work in CB and I tried to always be careful around those lights, I normally am and don't like running yellows but when you know there are cameras you try a little harder ya know? I swear it's like they were trying to get me, I never thought of the short yellow before but it makes sense since I can think of two times I went through yellow/red there, never got a ticket. Each time it was because traffic was backed up though.
I really have no problem with the red light cameras. Not particularly fond of them, but their presence has been challenged in court and their legality has stood up to it.

The problem I have is that they have shortened the yellow lights in Council Bluffs - and have done so despite the fact that shorter yellow lights has been repeatedly proven to cause more accidents.

The bottom line is that the city of Council Bluffs installed the red light cameras, and shortened the duration of the yellow lights, to increase revenue, NOT to increase public safety. It's all about money.

This is unconscionable.


The War on Short Yellows - WSJ.com

Change of Subject: Seeing red over yellow lights. Experts say three seconds is not long enough

Shorter yellow lights boost red-light camera revenue | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
123 posts, read 362,447 times
Reputation: 77
The city of Omaha should declare war on Council Bluffs. In order to do this, they should redirect the rich people from expanding into west Omaha to expanding across the river into Council Bluffs until the city is annexed by Omaha. It'll be like Elkhorn all over again, only worse! The people will be left paying Omaha's taxes. And they can build rich people shopping malls like Village Point all over Council Bluffs until the people there have nowhere to shop but Banana Republic and their only eating choices will be fancy 5 star restaurants. They'll milk the city of Council Bluffs dry! West-Omahatizing Council Bluffs is a fate worse than death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 23,108,584 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
The city of Omaha should declare war on Council Bluffs. In order to do this, they should redirect the rich people from expanding into west Omaha to expanding across the river into Council Bluffs until the city is annexed by Omaha. It'll be like Elkhorn all over again, only worse! The people will be left paying Omaha's taxes. And they can build rich people shopping malls like Village Point all over Council Bluffs until the people there have nowhere to shop but Banana Republic and their only eating choices will be fancy 5 star restaurants. They'll milk the city of Council Bluffs dry! West-Omahatizing Council Bluffs is a fate worse than death.
Screw that. I say we just declare war! We can take 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,138,294 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
The city of Omaha should declare war on Council Bluffs. In order to do this, they should redirect the rich people from expanding into west Omaha to expanding across the river into Council Bluffs until the city is annexed by Omaha. It'll be like Elkhorn all over again, only worse! The people will be left paying Omaha's taxes. And they can build rich people shopping malls like Village Point all over Council Bluffs until the people there have nowhere to shop but Banana Republic and their only eating choices will be fancy 5 star restaurants. They'll milk the city of Council Bluffs dry! West-Omahatizing Council Bluffs is a fate worse than death.
lol. . You can't even annex across county lines can you? Let alone state ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Reputation: 9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
lol. . You can't even annex across county lines can you? Let alone state ones.
Who would stop us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
123 posts, read 362,447 times
Reputation: 77
If Nebraska invaded Iowa the Obama administration would be forced to take massive steps to stop the invasion. He'd put up signs on the bridge saying: "Warning! Do not invade Iowa!" Just the same way he took action to stop drug trafficking and illegals at the Arizona border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,282 posts, read 11,174,268 times
Reputation: 14119
There appear to be no mandatory standards for the length of the yellow light cycle. Nevertheless, challenges to the "short-cycling", particularly in combination with red light cameras, are becoming more prevalent:

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

and:

Yellow Light Time Standards | Stop Short Yellow Lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,282 posts, read 11,174,268 times
Reputation: 14119
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sage1 View Post
If Nebraska invaded Iowa the Obama administration would be forced to take massive steps to stop the invasion. He'd put up signs on the bridge saying: "Warning! Do not invade Iowa!" Just the same way he took action to stop drug trafficking and illegals at the Arizona border.
Completely off topic. Aren't there better places for you to troll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top