U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,827,387 times
Reputation: 699

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
i believe in free speech for both sides, but you see Oberst is someone who believes in supporting illegal aliens over the people of Fremont.

Oberst believes political ideology trumps facts. that is the mantra of many on the left and some on the right as well.


look, we need Immigration reform and a system to help these illegals become us citizens if they are working and just here for a better life

and the immigration issue is a bit complicated and a thorny issue


my comment is folks like Oberst believe the left's agenda is more important than actually addressing the immigartion issue and calling for immigration reform.
I believe you, but you really need to work on your delivery of your message to reveal the integrity of it.

It's really difficult to take your message very seriously when you put it context that you do. It's like somebody telling you that you need to be a forgiving soul, but you are punching them in the process.

Belief is what you say, integrity is example by action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,459,328 times
Reputation: 524
I know that omahahonors. I know Oberst probably means well, but he ought to look into all the facts before screaming at the people of fremont nebraska. it is a complicated issue.

same with Arizona. Arizona I could understand why the put that law. (the govt. refusing to better secure the border states like Arizona and the rancher that got killed by illegal aliens

and stories like FOXNews.com - Mexican Gangs Maintain Permanent Lookout Bases in Hills of Arizona

and: 21 die in Mexican gang gunbattle near Ariz. border - World news - Americas - msnbc.com


now, I know it is unlikely that would happen in Nebraska, but we need to have some serious immigartion reform and better border security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,827,387 times
Reputation: 699
This is a serious issue that has to be handled very soon, no doubt. There is a reason that we have immigration laws. Too many people coming in at one time can put a damper on our resources if they do not integrate right away.

This is my issue with illegal immigration. The city of Fremont is going to have to cut back on spending and raise taxes on the upcoming lawsuits.

If the people of Fremont are okay with that and feel they are not going to hurt the community in the long-run, then I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
 
143 posts, read 87,381 times
Reputation: 93
Oberst f'd up when he decided that his "agenda" needed to directly benefit the ACLU, which I'm sure we all know, is nothing more than a left wing lawsuit waggon hell bent on milking all levels of government hundreds of millions of dollars via our court systems.

I find it ironic that Oberst, as a white male, would single-handedly spearhead a benefit for an organization that would have no intention on defending his rights. Unless of course, he was a child molesting muderer protesting funerals.

As far as the law goes, it's pretty misguided to tell a population of people that it's no longer ok to be a part of their community while turning a blind eye previously. Either way, the feds will sue the city of Fremont in time because apparently our supreme leader, Obama, has absolute legislative input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
 
143 posts, read 87,381 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post

If the people of Fremont are okay with that and feel they are not going to hurt the community in the long-run, then I say go for it.
That's where it's unfair. The ACLU, which is providing legal direction and funding for this lawsuit, has unlimited funding via their members, private donations, and other organizations. I believe they have even been able to manipulate some government funding, as well.

The city has very little funding to pass a law in which it's citizens have voted, and it's leaders written.

Perhaps this Fremont law is misgiuded or at the very least poorly written, but it goes to show that majority voting power is fading fast in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:53 PM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,646,040 times
Reputation: 477
I think the outburst here has more to do with Oberst's ideology clashing with your own. Its a little ridiculous to suggest that you don't have an ideology of your own and that your factual interpretation is not skewed by that ideology.

Its just intellectually dishonest.

Now, I agree, we need immigration reform. No doubt about it. But it should NOT be taking place city by city. As far as it being unfair that the ACLU has more resources than the city, well, that's life. It has nothing to do with majority rule. The lack of majority rule argument could also be made by the fact that Fremont is implementing immigration and foreign policy with a vote of 20,000 people. This issue is simply not suited for a city to handle. And while i agree that the federal government needs to take action in the immigration arena, that doesn't simply allow the various municipalities to supplant the federal government. Would you be ok with Fremont imposing a tariff on Mexico or determining citizenship requirements??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
 
143 posts, read 87,381 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I think the outburst here has more to do with Oberst's ideology clashing with your own. Its a little ridiculous to suggest that you don't have an ideology of your own and that your factual interpretation is not skewed by that ideology.

Its just intellectually dishonest.
While I can understand why you would come to that conclusion, it's not [completely] true. I disagree with him using the ACLU as a conduit to spread his message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
"Now, I agree, we need immigration reform. No doubt about it. But it should NOT be taking place city by city."
I agree. However, the federal government has already demonstrated no interest in enforcing their existing immigration laws, nor do they have any intention on doing so from here on out.

I think it's blatantly obvious that this country will likely not exist in it's current form much longer with such an influx of different cultures and varying political ideologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
"And while i agree that the federal government needs to take action in the immigration arena, that doesn't simply allow the various municipalities to supplant the federal government. Would you be ok with Fremont imposing a tariff on Mexico or determining citizenship requirements??"
If it were done so in their own interest because the feds declined to act on their behalf, I sure would.

Look, Matt, nearly every single person in this country agrees reform is desperately needed. However, the country is almost evenly divided as to what that reform should be.

The left, they want blanket amnesty and minority voting power.

The right, some want deportation, some want worker programs, and some know amnesty is the only feasible option. However, they sure as hell aren't about to hand a possible 30 million votes to the dems.

In a nutshell, Washington is in gridlock on this matter, and the local municipalities have NO choice but the write and enfore their own laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,459,328 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_dave11 View Post
Oberst f'd up when he decided that his "agenda" needed to directly benefit the ACLU, which I'm sure we all know, is nothing more than a left wing lawsuit waggon hell bent on milking all levels of government hundreds of millions of dollars via our court systems.

I find it ironic that Oberst, as a white male, would single-handedly spearhead a benefit for an organization that would have no intention on defending his rights. Unless of course, he was a child molesting muderer protesting funerals.

As far as the law goes, it's pretty misguided to tell a population of people that it's no longer ok to be a part of their community while turning a blind eye previously. Either way, the feds will sue the city of Fremont in time because apparently our supreme leader, Obama, has absolute legislative input.

Oberst is a spoiled brat. he did graduate from Creighton Prep you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 AM
 
1,220 posts, read 2,128,532 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Oberst is a spoiled brat. he did graduate from Creighton Prep you know
I think you're projecting a little. So anyone who graduated from Prep is a "spoiled brat"? I grew up in a working class neighborhood, and there were any number of parents who sacrificed vacations and drove old cars so that their sons could attend Prep. Conor Oberst grew up in a very modest neighborhood---his mom worked for OPS and his dad was a musician. I didn't really know about him until my nephew sent me an album entitled: "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning". I think it's one of the best albums of the past decade, and he deserves every accolade he receives from the music critics. I think it also betrays an intellect and a depth of character that you couldn't begin to comprehend. The lyrics alone are worth the purchase price, revealing a wisdom well beyond his youth. Omaha should be proud to have produced someone who put this city on the musical map. I know I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,495,256 times
Reputation: 283
I think Oberst is just using this for publicity. He said


"In my view, it's state-sanctioned racism. If we let it slide in one place in the country, it's like dominoes. That way of thinking will start to erode everywhere, and I think it's important that we take a stand now," Oberst said.


Racism is based on country of origin (skin color) not immigration status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top