U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM

2,797 posts, read 4,655,190 times

Advertisements

What are winters like in Omaha (and Nebraska in general)? Are they as nasty and as cold as in North Dakota? Do they destroy automobiles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 PM

696 posts, read 918,695 times
Not as bad as ND but can be considered bad. It is all a point of view.
Winter doesn't destroy automobiles, owners do.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:10 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,357,090 times
They can be kinda nasty. Probably not quite as bitter cold as ND, but still pretty cold. After -5, does it really matter? It's cold!.

Snow fall might be similar, some years are heavier than others.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 3,125,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What are winters like in Omaha (and Nebraska in general)? Are they as nasty and as cold as in North Dakota? Do they destroy automobiles?

Probably depends on what part of ND...but I'm guessing ND winters last a month later and probably start a month earlier. I'm sure they also have a few less days in January where it hits 50 degrees to give a bit of relief.

There are usually quite a few days that I can ride my motorcycle every winter...I tend to ride if it's above about 20-30 degrees. This past winter it sat for a couple months. This past winter in Nebraska we had a lot more snow, too than I remember in recent years. We were running out of places to put it.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:09 PM

933 posts, read 979,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
They can be kinda nasty. Probably not quite as bitter cold as ND, but still pretty cold. After -5, does it really matter? It's cold!.

Snow fall might be similar, some years are heavier than others.
-5 degrees doesn't happen here every year. When it does, it is because that is our low for the day and still only happens at worst 10 times a year (some years it doesn't get below 10 degrees).

Our average January High is 39, and low is 20 degrees. I'll take that average any day over the Southern 105 degree average with 95% humidity.

To each their own.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 PM

2,915 posts, read 4,085,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
so true. we have many wreckless drivers who dont like to slowdown in winter time on the roads.

when it is snowy and icy on the roads, some drivers in omaha act like they are on the shows Jackass or 1000 ways to die when it comes to their reckless winter driving.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so true. we have many wreckless drivers who dont like to slowdown in winter time on the roads.

when it is snowy and icy on the roads, some drivers in omaha act like they are on the shows Jackass or 1000 ways to die when it comes to their reckless winter driving.
The season doesn't matter. You can't fix stupid. Everyday I see someone doing something insane.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM

933 posts, read 979,156 times
Try driving in Southern California or in Las Vegas when it rains! I shutter even remembering!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM

370 posts, read 526,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post

You said it....OWNERS DO. Brace the cold and hit a car wash with a do it yourself wand once a week and rinse off all that salt! Keep it waxed! I work at a car dealership and see every trade it. The older ones (mid 90's-early 00's) are all trashed. Every once and a while you'll get a nice one. We just got in a 2000 Grand AM that is CHERRY! One owner that is insanely clean. Amazing what happens when you take care of your vehicle!!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 15,833 times
As someone who has never experienced more than 18 inches of snow what should I expect? And how about other severe weather? Tornadoes, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha