U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 AM

920 posts, read 1,723,859 times

Advertisements

Well, I think I qualify as an expert on this...not only am I from California, but I have lived in Omaha for a year now- I would like to give my opinion, beg for answers, and not offend anyone because I speak the truth----

We came here for the low unemployment rate, because yes, California's unem. rate is astronomical. I have to give Omaha that, your unem. rate is wonderful, seriously. Now....

The Weather: This is the most unbelievably strange, horrid weather I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have lived in N. MI where there was 200+ inches of snow, and even Canada during the winter, and I've never seen anything like this. I'm going to assume that it snows in Omaha every year, and has since anyone can remember. So please, someone tell me, why is it that when it snows, street cleaning and "thinking ahead" just seem to fall off the face of the earth? It's as if there is no preparation, or whoever cleans the streets are shocked that there is actually snow, because the streets are awful- schools shut down, side streets are out of the question, it's insane. And with the hills around here, mercy- unless you have a 4wheel drive, you are S.O.L. - how is this possible, when the rest of the state is flat???? Where did these hills COME from? And then...there is the summer, or I should say the months of June, July, August, because this isn't summer. There are loads of "orange" people running around with deep tans obtained in tanning salons, because there isn't enough of the natural stuff to tan normally. Rain. Rain. More Rain. Threats of Rain. Humidity..oh LORD, the humidity. Rain/Thunderstorms/TORNADO WATCH/and possibility of LARGE HAIL....in 90 degree weather??? How is this possible?? Ok, I will admit, I'm not a weatherman, and I don't understand the inner-workings, but still...I'm so tired of walking outside and gasping, because it feels like a small bathroom with no window, after a 15 minute hothothot shower, and you end up feeling as limp as an old dishrag.

Roads: Sigh. There are no potholes. Those are NOT potholes....they are huge, deep, gauges in the street that looks as if someone took a jackhammer to them. I'm surprised we haven't been pulled over by the police, the way we weave on the road to avoid them, we look like drunken bums on the road. To their credit, yes, at times they do fix them. But please...filling it with DIRT, then LEAVING IT THAT WAY??? The other day my husband drove home on a shredded tire. Why? Because on Saddlecreek, you know those huge, metal grates they have for drainage? Well...two grates together with the cement lip completely gone, on the side facing the road, and our tire looked like the side of the titanic, with the dit-dit-dit holes in it- up by the rim, even. Unbelievable. And then...there are the street signs..holy toledo. If there is a place in this town that you can turn left going down a main street, then maybe I just haven't found it yet- everywhere you look, "no left turn, no u-turn". Oh, there may be one or two lights that you actually can turn, or flip a u, but they are few and far between. Instead, you have to turn right into a parking lot, or go around the block and come back out, it's just crazy. And there are places that are seriously frightening, lights that have no green left turn arrow, but having people flying over a hill from the opposite direction that you can't see until they are ON you---why wouldn't they just put a simple arrow for turns??? And I don't care what anyone says...people drive FAST here- if you are in a 35 mile zone, people are doing 45 or 50...all to "get there" faster...faster? To where? The stop light? By 2 SECONDS, MAYBE?? And heaven help you if you don't wait at least 5 seconds once your light turns green, because the majority of the time, the people who have the red light are still flowing through the intersection, seriously.

Everything else: Henry Doorly Zoo, and various restaurants- nice, especially the zoo, best one I've ever been to outside of the San Diego Zoo. People here are friendly, for the most part. There is work here, that's a big plus. When we first landed here, I was impressed with the bus system. Until I tried it. I won't even go into it, but let's just say it's like the "no left turn" of the bus world. Stopping at a QT for something to drink on the way home from work (to combat the heat and humidity)...not a good idea. Unless, of course, you want people hitting you up for money AND a ride somewhere, to the degree of where they open your car door to try and get in. I wondered why police hung around inside QT. I don't wonder anymore. Corn. There are cornfields as far as the eye can see outside of town. Someone took me to the edge of town to show me one day not long after I got here, and I damn near hyperventilated- cornfields, sky, and nothing else. And yes, I know...the corn is mostly used for ethynol, etc.- but that still begs the question, why is corn on the cob so expensive (or what I would consider to be expensive, given the fact that there are CORNFIELDS ALL OVER the place) here? Come on...I lived in California where there were grape vineyards EVERYwhere, and grapes were NOT expensive. Rent is not bad here. Electricity is not bad here. Gas (for home)...unbelievable but in all fairness, I think that goes just about everywhere. The houses over by U.N.O. are wonderful, old houses that are well taken care of- beautiful neighborhoods, so individual back when people built houses that looked individual, and WERE individual. So different from the side of town that has Boy's Town (or thereabout)--row upon row of 2 story houses that look exacty the same, save for a door being on a different side every now and again. It reminds me of Edward Scissorhands, where everyone walks out the door, pulls out of the driveway in tandem, and all of the houses look the same. So depressing.

Ok....I've ranted. Before everyone starts to bash me for "bashing" your town/state, please...think about this. Look up at my list, and tell me where I was just being mean. Everything I said is true. And here is the really sad part, when I first got here, I did my very best to think positively, really I did. I looked and looked to try and see the positive aspects of it here, and there ARE positive aspects. But, and this is just my opinion, the negatives so outweigh the positives, that it just obliterates the view. I think you would have to live here your whole life, and truly develop an appreciation of this place to see it differently. But then, what do I know, my glass is half-empty as far as Omaha goes, and there are many who feel their glass is half-full.

All a matter of opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 AM

704 posts, read 1,613,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
And yes, I know...the corn is mostly used for ethynol, etc.-

All a matter of opinion!

Actually the vast majortiy of the corn in Nebraksa is used to feed cows. Got to get them nice and fat so WE can eat them!!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Actually the vast majortiy of the corn in Nebraksa is used to feed cows. Got to get them nice and fat so WE can eat them!!
lol- I was working at U.N.O. and one of the ladies I worked with told me she did her master's thesis on the ethynol/corn business - I guess she missed the cows somewhere along the line!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM

51,634 posts, read 41,596,877 times
The coasts have long looked down upon "fly-over" country so this is nothing new.

It's ironic because that's how NY etc. were treated back 60+ years ago by the "sophisticated" European cities.

Especially in the era of the internet, this is starting to change...not to mention the fact that people are getting sick of 3 hours of daily commuting to a modest house that costs 350k and has 9k a year property taxes.

With that said, it's a joke. The guy rips on anything and everything in brutal fashion.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Omaha isn't really bad, it just isn't for me...but having left California a few years ago, I have no intention of ever going back there, either- the state has changed, and not in a good way, not on any level.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 PM

14 posts, read 34,017 times
I don't know that I'd heed the advice of a man whose sole claim to fame is surfing the internet. I could start on that little dorky Dumbo, but it's enough to say that he's no Dane Cook, or even Red Green.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,622 times
I've lived here in Nebraska for 16 years now, and I LMAO! Not even close to Omaha, way down here where people aren’t even sure if we have electricity...LOL
Daniel talks about a lot more controversial things than Nebraska in that routine. He's not the only one, Rodney Carrington also put down NE, Chris Porter. They are comics, the write material that will make people laugh. That's what they get paid the big bucks for! I say things all the time to make people laugh, doesn't necessarily mean that's what I believe, just know it will get a few laughs, that is what it is all about. I think he's great, and would pay to go and see him just to hear that joke!!! Tosh isn't for everyone, especially if you are a little sensitive. I think it’s funny someone would take offense to that before the whole Jesus skit. In today’s world, you have to be able to laugh!

Someone said it best, you have to be able to laugh at yourself!

“These fried mayonnaise balls are AWESOME”….too funny

Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM

30 posts, read 26,395 times
Ah, Nebraska's top contribution to the world of comedy: Larry the Cable Guy. Dear god.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahole View Post
Ah, Nebraska's top contribution to the world of comedy: Larry the Cable Guy. Dear god.
Johnny Carson?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM

30 posts, read 26,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Johnny Carson?
Good point, though I was thinking more along the lines of standup, but still, that's true, though I never watch TV so I can't comment on if JC is funny or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or