U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,824,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Typical...
Typical? So you say I am lying about how some people act towards us, and then you broad-brush me with the entire group (gays) as if we are all a bunch of liars. You do know that is what you just did, right?

Besides, I'm not lying, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me how people treat other people who are like myself. We all have a bit of a chip on our shoulder because of all the various forms of harrasment. We all are scarred by it and carry it on our back. We are a bit tired, a bit angry and wish people would quit being so petty.

Then again, society has never learned how to treat minorities of race, religeon, body stature and etc.. So I guess, in a very morbid way should expect that type of behavior from 'the perfect race'.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:40 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,068,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Typical? So you say I am lying about how some people act towards us, and then you broad-brush me with the entire group (gays) as if we are all a bunch of liars. You do know that is what you just did, right?

Besides, I'm not lying, and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me how people treat other people who are like myself. We all have a bit of a chip on our shoulder because of all the various forms of harrasment. We all are scarred by it and carry it on our back. We are a bit tired, a bit angry and wish people would quit being so petty.

Then again, society has never learned how to treat minorities of race, religeon, body stature and etc.. So I guess, in a very morbid way should expect that type of behavior from 'the perfect race'.
Yes, I'm calling BS.

You claim all this "rampant homophobia" in Omaha, and I'm saying it's a lie. You're just making up crap. You want to play the part of the victim, and are looking for attention.

Rampant homophobia? Shoot... How does anybody even know you're gay?

I've got a good friend who is gay. He neither hides nor flaunts his homosexuality. He has never once talked about homophobia in Omaha. Not once. I guess he's too busy just living his life, working and doing the things that other people do. No groveling. No flaunting. Just living life in a community you claim is rampant with homophobia.

So yeah, I'm calling BS. I'm saying it's a lie. Sorry.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm calling BS.

You claim all this "rampant homophobia" in Omaha, and I'm saying it's a lie. You're just making up crap. You want to play the part of the victim, and are looking for attention.

Rampant homophobia? Shoot... How does anybody even know you're gay?

I've got a good friend who is gay. He neither hides nor flaunts his homosexuality. He has never once talked about homophobia in Omaha. Not once. I guess he's too busy just living his life, working and doing the things that other people do. No groveling. No flaunting. Just living life in a community you claim is rampant with homophobia.

So yeah, I'm calling BS. I'm saying it's a lie. Sorry.
Do you see how you are broad-brushing? Because your friend has lived a life free of problems despite his sexuality does not prove there is not a problem.

That is a very unfair comparison.

And the only lie being told is the one you are telling yourself.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Do you see how you are broad-brushing? Because your friend has lived a life free of problems despite his sexuality does not prove there is not a problem.

That is a very unfair comparison.

And the only lie being told is the one you are telling yourself
No, that's not true.

YOU are the one claiming that there is "rampant homophobia" in Omaha. That is a lie.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
No, that's not true.

YOU are the one claiming that there is "rampant homophobia" in Omaha. That is a lie.
There is. If you walked in the shoes of a homosexual and if people knew you'd be called names, less likely to be hired or promoted and kicked out of churches (yes this happens) you would understand. But since you don't you can only assume that everything is all rosy and are treated well.

People, businesses and churches will even brag about it. It's probably no more rampant than say 75% of places, but to experience this is almost as dissapointing as having family disown you for this.

Even if we advocate on messageboards, people like you excitedly start to chime in only to put words in our mouth.

You are an advocate for homophobia Omaharocks, and you know it.

Last edited by Omahahonors; 07-17-2010 at 08:19 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
There is. If you walked in the shoes of a homosexual and if people knew you'd be called names, less likely to be hired or promoted and kicked out of churches (yes this happens) you only assume that everything is all rosy and are treated well.

People, businesses and churches will even brag about it. It's probably no more rampant than say 75% of places, but to experience this is almost as dissapointing as having family disown you for this.

Even if we advocate on messageboards, people like you excitedly start to chime in only to put words in our mouth.

You are an advocate for homophobia Omaharocks, and you know it.
So I have a good friend who is gay, who lives here in Omaha, yet I'm an advocate for homophobia? Ummm... I might have been mistaken. Maybe what you're doing isn't lying. Maybe it's just straight up stupid.

I'm still wanting to know how everyone knows that you're gay? Do you tell everyone? Wear a sign? What?

Shoot, I've been mistakenly assumed to be gay before. A professor friend of mine and I have been friends for decades and often meet at various coffee shops to "talk shop" and catch up on family news. On more than one occasion we've had a barista assume we're gay and say so. I don't know why he'd think that, since we both have wedding rings on, but oh well...

Oh by the way, about churches... My gay friend happens to be an active member of a church that honestly believes homosexuality is wrong. Why does he go to that church? Because they're so kind and good to him. Weird, huh? All these churches that are full of hateful homophobes, yet a gay man feels quite welcome and affirmed in one of them.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,332,695 times
C'est la vie. Viva Omaha.

Quote:
I am at a crossroads in my life where I am realizing the great state of Nebraska and great city of Omaha just will not tolerate people like myself from ever getting married. Like DTO Luv (soon moving to Boston), I cannot help but to think of a place that has decided not to do what it can to impede my life. DTO and I have been very strong voices for the city of Omaha and state of Nebraska, but it seems as if this place will not tolerate our lifestyle. I am going to graduate soon and probably will decide in the next year as to what my next step is. I can either keep living, support and advocating for a city/state that has southern climate type of intolerance towards me or I can move to a state that does not, but is not what I grew up loving.

We'll see, I'll keep you all updated.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:30 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,680,635 times
Quote:
No, that's not true.

How would you know? You aren't gay like we are, you don't have to experience the pain of coming to grips with that, then on top of that having to have people use the single word to define you. If you say this you may as well be saying racism doesn't exist. Except heres the thing, racism isn't supported by 50 percent of the nation. Have you ever heard of the "Homosexual Agenda?" Well apparently according to a large part of the conservative community we all have a secret agenda. Many parents practically teach their children to fear us. For who else does that exist in society? To deny its existence is ridiculous of you.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,680,635 times
Quote:
So I have a good friend who is gay, who lives here in Omaha, yet I'm an advocate for homophobia? Ummm... I might have been mistaken. Maybe what you're doing isn't lying. Maybe it's just straight up stupid.
Weren't you the one who called out someone who you were as racist when they said they had black friends? huh.... weird.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:

I'm still wanting to know how everyone knows that you're gay? Do you tell everyone? Wear a sign? What?

Oh by the way, about churches... My gay friend happens to be an active member of a church that honestly believes homosexuality is wrong. Why does he go to that church? Because they're so kind and good to him. Weird, huh? All these churches that are full of hateful homophobes, yet a gay man feels quite welcome and affirmed in one of them.
Must be torture for him to have to listen to all of your anti-gay pride propaganda. I hope your 'friend' develops enough self-respect to find friends that will support him with these issue that are beyond his control instead of ripping apart everything the gay community does.

congrats on your church being kind enough to allow your gay friend in. I'm not saying that all churches kick gays out, but it does happen.

Again, you are a messenger of homophobia and it is easy to see. Anytime somebody even mentions the word gay you act as if your hair has been set on fire. I know you really enjoy jumping into these threads started by people who have been through a lot only to demonize, name call and pretend that you know more than they. people have gone through a lot.

You're just so ready to make gay people feel bad for having a community or being themselves. It's like you have no choice but to throw in your anti-gay $.02 everytime somebody even touches the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or