Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times

Advertisements

I am at a crossroads in my life where I am realizing the great state of Nebraska and great city of Omaha just will not tolerate people like myself from ever getting married. Like DTO Luv (soon moving to Boston), I cannot help but to think of a place that has decided not to do what it can to impede my life. DTO and I have been very strong voices for the city of Omaha and state of Nebraska, but it seems as if this place will not tolerate our lifestyle. I am going to graduate soon and probably will decide in the next year as to what my next step is. I can either keep living, support and advocating for a city/state that has southern climate type of intolerance towards me or I can move to a state that does not, but is not what I grew up loving.

We'll see, I'll keep you all updated.

Last edited by Omahahonors; 07-17-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2010, 01:17 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
I've gotta say... I find this thread to be pretty pathetic. Actually, having read it again, I find it extremely pathetic.

Are you looking for pity? Somebody to beg you to stay in Omaha? To stay on this forum?

Shoot, I didn't even know you're gay until you just announced it. Never dawned on me, I suppose. But it sure does seem like you whip out the gayness thing like a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

Anyway, go ahead and leave. Or stay. Whatever you want to do. But you'll probably grow up enough - someday - to realize that people not paying enough attention to you doesn't automatically mean that they're homophobic or hateful. It's probably that we're just busy living our lives and doing other things.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've gotta say... I find this thread to be pretty pathetic. Actually, having read it again, I find it extremely pathetic.

Are you looking for pity? Somebody to beg you to stay in Omaha? To stay on this forum?

Shoot, I didn't even know you're gay until you just announced it. Never dawned on me, I suppose.

Anyway, go ahead and leave. Or stay. Whatever you want to do. But you'll probably grow up enough - someday - to realize that people not paying enough attention to you doesn't automatically mean that they're homophobic or hateful. It's probably that we're just busy living our lives and doing other things.
Wooooooooooooah!

Did I just pinch a nerve?

I feel compelled to let say something about the issue as it has a direct impact on my life. There's been quite a depressive feeling running through me the last several years in regards to the state of Nebraska versus gays.

Let's put it this way...

I know Nebraska's culture and how it has been built on conservative ideas. I'm not here to change that, but to clear my mind a little bit. If I stay despite the extreme-rampant homophia, then I really have to be careful here because of the allowed discrimination. At the same time, Omaha is a diamond in the ruff with a lot to offer to non-homosexuals.
When I make my decision it will be based on what is best for me. I need to be a part of something that will let me plug into society 100% without people impeding in my direction.
I don't want pity, I want people to understand that this has a much bigger impact than they imagine.

DTO and I grew up loving this place and really advocating for a long time. As we got a little older, we still realize how awesome the city is and is getting better all the time. But unfortunately for us, we are gay people. And you know that we are frowned upon here.. You'd be kidding yourself if you tell me otherwise.

I suspect that Omaha will continue to grow very quickly with new jobs and people as it has for the last couple of decades. It's one of the premier cities in the United States without a doubt.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,688,622 times
Omahahonors is right. If people at my church or school knew that I am gay, I would be shunned or looked down upon. No one would treat me the same. Thats just how our culture develops and what it encourages. To not acknowledge that is ignorant.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,072 times
Well, what's the old saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out."

If I felt unappreciated and going nowhere, I would probably move also.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Guru View Post
Well, what's the old saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out."

If I felt unappreciated and going nowhere, I would probably move also.
SandhillsGuru I'm going places! I've got a high GPA and will be graduating soon. To say that I am going nowhere without even knowing anything about me says very loudly the pre-concieved prejudices you have about people like me.

Here's what you are saying:
Man says Omaha is a great city that isn't necessarily a cultural fit for him and is struggling to make a decision to leave. This man understands the states culture (which has an abundant bright spots) and feels a sting inside because of it.

Your response:
Your going nowhere in life, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

And my response is suppose to be...............(You get the idea).

Old 07-17-2010, 03:54 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,635 times
Thank God we live in the best country in the world!!!!!!

You can move to a state where gay marriage is legal. Sorry it's not Nebraska.

I have been waiting for 20 years to ride my Harley without a helmet in Nebraska.....so in a way........... I feel your pain.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Lol @ happygolucky... Good call

Old 07-17-2010, 04:36 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Lol @ happygolucky... Good call
Its' all good! Have fun life is short.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:21 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Wooooooooooooah! Did I just pinch a nerve?
No, you didn't pinch a nerve. But you may very well have pinched a loaf.

I feel compelled to let say something about the issue as it has a direct impact on my life. There's been quite a depressive feeling running through me the last several years in regards to the state of Nebraska versus gays.
Then leave. That is your choice. Or stay. That is your choice too. Despite you thinking I'm some homophobic maniac, it really doesn't matter to me at all.

Let's put it this way...

I know Nebraska's culture and how it has been built on conservative ideas. I'm not here to change that, but to clear my mind a little bit. If I stay despite the extreme-rampant homophia, then I really have to be careful here because of the allowed discrimination. At the same time, Omaha is a diamond in the ruff with a lot to offer to non-homosexuals.
When I make my decision it will be based on what is best for me. I need to be a part of something that will let me plug into society 100% without people impeding in my direction.
I don't want pity, I want people to understand that this has a much bigger impact than they imagine.
"Extreme rampant homophia [sic].

Sorry buddy. You are a liar. Straight up, flat-out, liar.

DTO and I grew up loving this place and really advocating for a long time. As we got a little older, we still realize how awesome the city is and is getting better all the time. But unfortunately for us, we are gay people. And you know that we are frowned upon here.. You'd be kidding yourself if you tell me otherwise.
Like I said in my first post, I didn't know you were gay until you had to wave it as a flag over the forum. Further, I don't care. I guess I must have forgotten to install my Gaydar this morning.

I suspect that Omaha will continue to grow very quickly with new jobs and people as it has for the last couple of decades. It's one of the premier cities in the United States without a doubt.
I suspect you are right about Omaha. It is a good city.
Typical...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: