U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

280 posts, read 708,307 times

Advertisements

Enough with the NCAA/CWS/Blatt business. The absolute bottom line is that despite all the pretty posturing in the press to protect any sliver of reputation that the NCAA has, the College World Series would have been gone unless a new stadium was built to the NCAA's criteria. The only decision there was to make, was to built it and get a 50 year commitment or say goodbye.

So, the only real argument is financial/sentimental/city marketing value of the CWS to the citizens and taxpayers of Omaha. Let's not get sidetracked with meaningless subplots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,458,814 times
altajoe is right. we shouldnt bring up Mike fahey 's legacy remembering idea (downtown stadium) anymore.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
he might

Omahans Against Suttle's Entertainment Tax | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=255001820234 - broken link)

and:

Movement to Impeach Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle | Facebook

are 2 anti-suttle groups on facebook
Not even 300 members between them. Even if everyone of them and Tom Becka's 4,050 fans signed he would still be a long ways off, especially when you consider a sizable amount of Becka's fan base is outside the city limits and are ineligible to sign.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,827,135 times
And yet almost every city in the nation has had a substantial tax increase.

Somehow we are suppose to be the only city in the US that is immune to all ills, if we are not then let's blame the current mayor.

MY OPINION: With the exception of a few of you (Bosco and altajoe etc), I'd really hate to continue living my life if my thought processes were that terribly depressing.. Good grief..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,316,152 times
Accept the things that cannot be changed. The stadium is going up. Move on to more elevating topics.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:13 AM

280 posts, read 708,307 times
Quote:
altajoe is right. we shouldnt bring up Mike fahey 's legacy remembering idea (downtown stadium) anymore.

Good to see that your sarcasm button disables your reasonable thought process button.

I'll try to say to slower and try to keep it shorter for you:

T H E...N C A A...R E Q U I R E D...T H E...D O W N T O W N...S T A D I U M...O R...T H E...C W S...W O U L D...L E A V E...O M A H A.

Now enough of my sarcasm; A valid argument would be if Omaha should have said "see ya..it's been fun". Of course as other have pointed out, that ship has sailed, so its a fools game to beat that dead horse.

Ironically, as much as I dislike Fahey for downsizing the Qwest, and then having to spend exponentially more to expand it and choosing a smaller Hilton, rather than a larger, more upscale Marriot and then having to expand it (see the pattern) just because they were championed by Daub, the downtown stadium has ZERO to do with his ego.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,667,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
And yet almost every city in the nation has had a substantial tax increase.

Somehow we are suppose to be the only city in the US that is immune to all ills, if we are not then let's blame the current mayor.

MY OPINION: With the exception of a few of you (Bosco and altajoe etc), I'd really hate to continue living my life if my thought processes were that terribly depressing.. Good grief..

Almost every city in America has had major spending cuts, too. But not us...we're spending $1 million to see if a streetcar system would be a good thing.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 34,003 times
What I have read about was that Fahey's name is on a nearby street. What I haven't read about was matching funds from the NCAA to help us out. I'm not entirely sure that the "real" revenue and business gained during those 3 weeks justify us taking on this particular project, and everything built starting with the Qwest Center seems to have been the wrong size, either too big (stadium) or too small (qwest and hotel). Then again, perhaps the neighborhood will benefit from an expansion of Henry Doorly and not having to deal with the nightmare traffic scenarios associated with the CWS. It's hard to say without all of the information the city has, and of course we aren't told most of it.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,458,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Almost every city in America has had major spending cuts, too. But not us...we're spending $1 million to see if a streetcar system would be a good thing.
youre so right.

but to Fahey/Suttle apologists, the streetcar system will bring in a million t0 150 million dollars the first year

(after all, isnt that the lie we were told about the downtown stadium)

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,667,795 times
Quote:
youre so right.

but to Fahey/Suttle apologists, the streetcar system will bring in a million t0 150 million dollars the first year

(after all, isnt that the lie we were told about the downtown stadium)
It could also cause traffic delays and other problems. If they're going to do it, they need to do it right and build a light rail that does not run on city streets. This streetcar thing is idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or