U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Almost every city in America has had major spending cuts, too. But not us...we're spending $1 million to see if a streetcar system would be a good thing.
We haven't? Have you taken a look at our snow removal fleet? Our police cruisers? Civilian workforce?

Like I said earlier, even Chuck Sigerson said that further cuts would not be feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth T. View Post
What I have read about was that Fahey's name is on a nearby street. What I haven't read about was matching funds from the NCAA to help us out.
From my understanding there are provisions in the contract that would have the NCAA pick up some funding if the tax revenue falls short and/or pay off the balance if for any reason they break the contract and move to another city.

Apparently there are some pretty solid financial protections in there for the city.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure that the "real" revenue and business gained during those 3 weeks justify us taking on this particular project
It's not just 3 weeks. Creighton and the Nighthawks are already set to start playing at TDA park when it's ready.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
but to Fahey/Suttle apologists, the streetcar system will bring in a million t0 150 million dollars the first year
That's not really out of line considering the revenue streetcar products have brought in for other cities.

Quote:
(after all, isnt that the lie we were told about the downtown stadium)
Dude, the stadium isn't even completed and you're already declaring the revenue projections a lie?

You're normally one of the more rational posters here, but you've seriously taken a walk off the map on this issue.

Quote:
It could also cause traffic delays and other problems. If they're going to do it, they need to do it right and build a light rail that does not run on city streets. This streetcar thing is idiotic.
I'd gladly ditch the street car in favor of Light Rail, but that's an even bigger project that is very unlikely to happen in Omaha.

This "streetcars cause traffic delays" stuff is just nonsense though. I live in a city that has street cars and have family and friends in others, including Portland, who's system we will base ours off of and there are no complaints of that sort.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,835,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That's not really out of line considering the revenue streetcar products have brought in for other cities.

Dude, the stadium isn't even completed and you're already declaring the revenue projections a lie?

You're normally one of the more rational posters here, but you've seriously taken a walk off the map on this issue.

I'd gladly ditch the street car in favor of Light Rail, but that's an even bigger project that is very unlikely to happen in Omaha.

This "streetcars cause traffic delays" stuff is just nonsense though. I live in a city that has street cars and have family and friends in others, including Portland, who's system we will base ours off of and there are no complaints of that sort.
All billiefan wants to do is stir the pot with extreme beliefs. I have a hard time believing this person actually believes what he says.

Billiefan = sucessfull troll, sucessfull

Old 07-25-2010, 12:35 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,688,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

I'd have to be convinced of that. I don't know how it wouldn't. I'm open-minded though, and if it did ease traffic, while benefiting the community, it would be something to be considered...but I have a hard time understanding how spending $1 M right now is a good thing--in light of the huge tax increases they're talking just to make budget. This just seems like something easy to cut out.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 AM

816 posts, read 1,420,692 times
Quote:
I'd have to be convinced of that. I don't know how it wouldn't. I'm open-minded though, and if it did ease traffic, while benefiting the community, it would be something to be considered...but I have a hard time understanding how spending $1 M right now is a good thing--in light of the huge tax increases they're talking just to make budget. This just seems like something easy to cut out.
My understanding was that the $1m came from the federal government. If so, Omaha is technically not spending anything on this study.

Also I just love all the people that seem to WANT the new stadium to fail! Do they not realize the CWS brings in ~40m to the city each year? In 2007 alone it is estimated the CWS brought in 1.8 million in tax revenue alone to the city. This is money that we the citizens of Omaha do not have to come up with.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I'd have to be convinced of that. I don't know how it wouldn't. I'm open-minded though, and if it did ease traffic, while benefiting the community, it would be something to be considered...
It's good that you're open minded. Unfortunately alot of people aren't. They simply look at the big price tag and start screaming bloody murder. They don't even give the slightest thought to benefits (social or economic), just cost.

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait to go into more detail on the traffic issue. There are many ways it can be alleviated with streetcars but I'd have to

Quote:
but I have a hard time understanding how spending $1 M right now is a good thing--in light of the huge tax increases they're talking just to make budget. This just seems like something easy to cut out.
From my understanding, these tax increases will not only have us making budget, but also include funds to restore many of the services that have been cut over the years. While the merits of that are debatable (personally, I'm all for it) it will leave us with money to work with so we have some breathing room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or