U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,668,809 times

Advertisements

Well bellevue is on the east side, but south of omaha, but its right up against the interstate, so even going to midtown omaha only is a short drive. I worked at 72nd and dodge and it was a 30 minute drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
Good to know, thanks! If I remember correctly the far East side was what would be considered downtown, right? It seems like most potential employers for my husband are right in the middle of Omaha, so maybe one of the more centrally located suburbs would be better...

Correct

Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM

6,122 posts, read 6,419,289 times
Quote:
Thanks for the drive times! Sounds very reasonable... I wondered about Bellevue, Rez... Haven't heard as much about it as say Papillion or Millard. Will look into that as well, since it seems like a good location in relation to Omaha.
I live between Bellevue and Papillion, on the outskirts of both. I really like the location. I have almost everything I need within a 5-10 minute drive and hardly ever have to leave the area. It's also easy to get to downtown Omaha, which I like.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,643,429 times
We've visited Omaha a few times and I'm always impressed with how easily the traffic flows, how courteous and sensible the drivers are......less stressful driving than most cities.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 AM

816 posts, read 1,414,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
We've visited Omaha a few times and I'm always impressed with how easily the traffic flows, how courteous and sensible the drivers are......less stressful driving than most cities.
You have to be joking! Every time I am out on my bicycle I nearly get run over or am cut off by a vehicle that can't wait 2 seconds to turn. Even outside of being a cyclist we have a HUGE problem with drivers not stopping at intersections (running red lights and stop signs) and many drivers never signal their turns. Far too many see yellow lights as green. Which results in the problem mentioned above about running red lights. As bad as omaha is Bellevue is even worse! Drivers pass my handlebars at less than 3 inches (I can almost extend my pinky and touch their vehicle) and few yield the right of way at intersections like they should. Bellevue drivers are also more prone to being impaitent, honking and trying to run one off the road if one is not doing 5 over the speed limit!

And for the record I am no lance armstrong wannabe. I have 2 lights front and back (4 total) and wear regular cloths while riding. I ride as far to the right as legally required, keeping clear of the door zone though.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,307,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
You have to be joking! Every time I am out on my bicycle I nearly get run over or am cut off by a vehicle that can't wait 2 seconds to turn. Even outside of being a cyclist we have a HUGE problem with drivers not stopping at intersections (running red lights and stop signs) and many drivers never signal their turns. Far too many see yellow lights as green. Which results in the problem mentioned above about running red lights. As bad as omaha is Bellevue is even worse! Drivers pass my handlebars at less than 3 inches (I can almost extend my pinky and touch their vehicle) and few yield the right of way at intersections like they should. Bellevue drivers are also more prone to being impaitent, honking and trying to run one off the road if one is not doing 5 over the speed limit!

And for the record I am no lance armstrong wannabe. I have 2 lights front and back (4 total) and wear regular cloths while riding. I ride as far to the right as legally required, keeping clear of the door zone though.
I can empathize with your experiences cycling in Omaha. When I lived there it felt like I was putting my life in danger every time I went out on my bike .

However I think the other poster was referring more to the general flow of traffic, probably from the perspective of driving in a car rather than a bicycle. And at least when I lived there, Omaha was very easy in terms of traffic - no major gridlock to speak of.

As for the lack of turn signals and people running through yellow or even red lights - that seems to be a problem in a lot of cities. It drives me crazy too!!! Here in Albuquerque they put up "red light cams" and now people get a traffic ticket in the mail every time they run a red light or are even speeding through an intersection with a camera. I am personally not a fan of the cameras, but it has apparently cut back on the intersection problems. Now if only there was some way to nudge people to use their turn signals .

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM

816 posts, read 1,414,345 times
Quote:
I can empathize with your experiences cycling in Omaha. When I lived there it felt like I was putting my life in danger every time I went out on my bike .

However I think the other poster was referring more to the general flow of traffic, probably from the perspective of driving in a car rather than a bicycle. And at least when I lived there, Omaha was very easy in terms of traffic - no major gridlock to speak of.

As for the lack of turn signals and people running through yellow or even red lights - that seems to be a problem in a lot of cities. It drives me crazy too!!! Here in Albuquerque they put up "red light cams" and now people get a traffic ticket in the mail every time they run a red light or are even speeding through an intersection with a camera. I am personally not a fan of the cameras, but it has apparently cut back on the intersection problems. Now if only there was some way to nudge people to use their turn signals .
Ya, I knew what point they were coming from, I just threw my point in as bicycling is a growing trend across the country.

I say Omaha needs "red light cams". I have seen how cautious drivers are in council bluffs thanks to their cameras. I think a good way to "nudge" these people to start using their turn signals is to double or triple the fine and then get aggressive in enforcing turn signals.

To get back on topic, Even on bicycle few things are more than 45 minutes away. I live in the far south east corner of the city, Almost in bellevue, and can make it to 72nd & dodge in about 45 minutes and downtown in about 30 minutes.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
To the cyclers - I still say Papillion. The trail system in town is very good and the town also promotes some biking events - for those in the biking circles they know that one of the big shots in the city is a very avid biker.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 AM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
I'm not sure about the perspective from a bicycle, but from a car, Omaha drivers are better than the ones I encountered in Iowa, Florida, and any number of places in between.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM

119 posts, read 385,760 times
I have lived in Millard, and I've lived in Southwest Omaha (Papillion, La Vista) and now I live in the Bennington area. My in-laws live in North Omaha and I work close to Epply Airport and the Florence area. I've attended classes at Metro at both the Elkhorn campus and the Fort Omaha Campus (in North O), and I enjoy going downtown a lot. My point is I've done a lot of driving from one part of the metro area to another at all times of day, and its true, that outside of rush hour, traffic-snarling accidents, inclement weather, and major construction projects, you can average 20 -35 minutes from one side of town to another. Access to the interstate or main thoroughfares is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha