Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,313 times

Advertisements

It’s Suttle vs. OHA board - Omaha.com

quote:

Suttle, she added, “told me three months ago, ‘I’m going to take over OHA, the MAT (Metro Area Transit) board, the library board.’”

btw:

Gray shouldnt be on the oha board and the city council board at same time. that is a conflict of intrest.

sick of local leaders suggesting having a conflict of interest job is okay for omaha

the only way I would have Suttle take over MAt is we could see Curt Simon get the boot and have the route 64 idea happen

Facebook group: We want Omaha MAT bus to implement this "Route 64" for Northwest Omaha

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-wan...26214820748295
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM

14 posts, read 40,639 times
How you know he is Fahey II is that he's spending all this money on the stupid trolley idea. Seriously, WTF? All you have to do is buy a few more "Ollie the Trolley"s, hopefully hybrids by now, and then you can change routes at will. He really wants to go back to ancient ideas and dig up streets and so forth for this? Here's a grand idea: work with the state to build a light rail system between Omaha and Lincoln! Oh, wait, who would have taxation authority over it?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM

I thought Vokal was Fahey II cause he was a butt kisser to Fahey.

I guess it was Jim Suttle also who is a Fahey wannabee. we cant afford some of what Suttle wants right now. Suttle is more intrested in legacy remembering than what is best right now for the city.

I btw voted for Suttle and I regret my choice now.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM

14 posts, read 40,639 times
Ever since Daub (when I was old enough to pay some attention) it's been "let's figure out some way to spend the money on some boondoggle other than fixing the potholes so we can raise taxes" which, if I recall correctly, was why we threw Daub out in the first place. The fact that he ran again and won the primary indicated to me that they're ALL Fahey. But then I thought, "This Suttle is an engineer, like me, surely he'll come up with a fix for the mess we're in". Then I hear him open his mouth when he takes office, and I knew I "got fooled again", to paraphrase the prophet Townshend. Turns out most if not all of our mayors have been crooks since the days when Omaha was a riproaring riverfront town. Check out this rogue's gallery - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Omaha - if Fahey ran again, I was going to start calling him "Cowboy Mike"!

Last edited by Kenneth T.; 07-23-2010 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM

624 posts, read 1,308,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
the only way I would have Suttle take over MAt is we could see Curt Simon get the boot and have the route 64 idea happen
Man they need to get rid of Curt Simon. Badly. I was actually surprised when they made all those positive route changes in April, like the 1, 3 and 5 extenstions, so much to where I thought they had a new executive director. Guess not.

It's funny how almost all of the changes they have made in the past five years, I thought up on my own, unknowing of their plans. So, maybe the 64 will happen. I just sent it to the planning department down at MAT, so hopefully we will see something soon. Or they could just replace Simon with me haha.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,054,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Man they need to get rid of Curt Simon. Badly. I was actually surprised when they made all those positive route changes in April, like the 1, 3 and 5 extenstions, so much to where I thought they had a new executive director. Guess not.

It's funny how almost all of the changes they have made in the past five years, I thought up on my own, unknowing of their plans. So, maybe the 64 will happen. I just sent it to the planning department down at MAT, so hopefully we will see something soon. Or they could just replace Simon with me haha.
Personally I'd like to see MAT dissolved and a department started to replace it, hopefully in conjunction with a streetcar/light rail system. Sometimes you just gotta burn things down and rebuild them from scratch.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post

I am suprised Simon still has his job.

remember his I didnt know there are bus that go near mid-town movie theatre comment around the time the mid-town opened up last year.

he also cant tell the difference between the 20 grand movie theatre and the culver's at 120th and miami (he thinks there are blocks apart, when they 3-4 miles apart)

Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 PM

Personally, I like to think light rail will happen in Omaha eventually, but realistically, not in the next 10 years. It would be very very very expensive, probably the most expensive single project we've ever dove into, so that may be what is holdig it back. In reality, omaha isn't that big and it only takes at most maybe 45 minutes to get from downtown to 216th street, the outter skirts. With a light rail train, that trek would probably take 25 or so minutes, so does 20 minutes time saved justify spending billions of dollars? I don't think so. Althought I think light rail would be awesome in Omaha, and I would ride it all the time, we're not ready for it yet. A less cool idea, but much more cost friendly would be a BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) line to replace Routes 2 and 92. BRT lines have stations like light rail where they show arrival times and have transfers with other buses, but are much less expensive. Despite being inexpensive, the riding experience is nothing like a regular bus. They travel in their own lane, so congestion isn't something that will slow down a BRT bus.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 PM

I btw like the new 3 and 25 routes.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM

Yeah, the 3 has quite a bit more importance now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: