Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm not suggesting we teach it in schools, but do you know that Child Evangelism Fellowship is in quite a few schools in Omaha? The SCOTUS decided that if other clubs can be in our schools, so can they.
I don't mind if they want to have their clubs there. That's perfectly fine with me. Now having educational curriculum based off of any type of religious belief is where I start drawing lines.

Quote:
Don't fear the Bible. There are worse things our kids could be reading.
I don't fear the Bible (I'm plenty spiritual myself) but I do fear using it as a teaching tool in the public school system, usually at the hands of people with extremely misguided interpretations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Calvinist---You Make A Good Point, But...

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with "God and the Bible"? There are plenty of progressives that have such a phobia of God and the Bible that they will avoid any and every idea that remotely seems religious. Sometimes it's ok to have religous things.
There is nothing wrong with God and the Bible...you are absolutely correct on that point...

However, I think part of the 'progressive backlash' or 'phobia', as you called it, stems from the same thing that billiefan made mention of in her thoughts on the 'leftist agenda'---that is, when folks try to use God and the Bible as a bully pulpit to try and tell everyone else how to live, i.e. 'shoving it down people's throats'...

I have always been of the firm belief that if one wants to come to God, they should be able to do so of their own free will, in their own time, without a bunch of ceaseless yelling from those who are trying to 'convert' people (forgive me if I used that word in the wrong context, but I thought it applied here)...or from those who take Christianity to extremes, denouncing anyone who doesn't accept their beliefs as the be-all and end-all of everything...

Kinda like the ongoing debate between liberals/conservatives...each side takes turns throwing 'bricks' at each other, and believing that their 'way' is the best way to do things...it's getting so no thread here on CD goes by with out it degenerating into a liberal-conservative shouting match...same goes for the debate between some Christians and some 'non-believers'...

Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What "progressive" social views? Safe sex education? Maybe if you consider anything that isn't God-fearing rhetoric to be "progressive".

And no, this is where you and so many others are mistaken. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't make it valid or worthy of being considered. Case in point is arguing for any faith based doctrine to brought into the public school system.

If Laura Ingraham can make an argument for promoting abstinence (not "abstinence only") by reaching for logic and fact instead of God and the Bible, then she can have a seat at the table. Until then she deserves nothing beyond being treated like the loon she is.
You've got all the answers at age 23.

Hmmmm....why does that seem so familiar? Oh yeah....it's because I had all the answers at age 23. And in recent years each of my three kids also had all the answers at age 23. Strange as it may seem, someday you will realize that even you could be mistaken now and then. Don't worry - life will go on and you'll be a wiser person for it.

Revelation #2 - it's not your table. And who gets a seat at it is not your call. I have heard Laura make many valid points that were not at all based on God and the Bible, so you're really over-reaching when you try to paint her as a religious nut.

You're way off the mark in suggesting that I think anything that isn't God-fearing is progressive. I'm the least religious conservative on this board and "God" has had no place whatsoever in my viewpoints.

I'm going to exit this thread because any further discussion of the progressive agenda and the tightening grip of progressives on school curriculum in recent years belongs in the POC forum. Suffice to say that progressives have taken sex education far beyond fundamentals of knowledge truly beneficial to a child. It has become an instrument of radical social change - a tool at the foundation of their quest to advance their agenda.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It should be a given that today you must carefully filter everything presented through your own experience and common sense. But each of the "entertainers" you mentioned has something worthwhile to say on one issue or another.
True. Some of the most brilliant political and social commentary has come from entertainers - e.g. George Carlin.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm....why does that seem so familiar? Oh yeah....it's because I had all the answers at age 23. And in recent years each of my three kids also had all the answers at age 23. Strange as it may seem, someday you will realize that even you could be mistaken now and then. Don't worry - life will go on and you'll be a wiser person for it.
All the answers? Hardly. Smart enough to look at the facts and see that abstinence only education is a complete failure and that when it's faith based it is a direct violation of the Constitution? Absolutely.

I realize that places me in higher IQ bracket than about 95% of the "moral conservatives" in this country, but admittedly that isn't a high bar to clear.

Quote:
Revelation #2 - it's not your table. And who gets a seat at it is not your call. I have heard Laura make many valid points that were not at all based on God and the Bible, so you're really over-reaching when you try to paint her as a religious nut.
I doubt that figurative speech is beyond you, but suffice it to say that as a tax paying American it's as much my table as it is anyone else and we that pesky thing called the Constitution does a pretty good job of making sure loons like Ingraham don't get to promote their agenda.

Quote:
You're way off the mark in suggesting that I think anything that isn't God-fearing is progressive. I'm the least religious conservative on this board and "God" has had no place whatsoever in my viewpoints.
Then feel free to tell us what your viewpoints are. Right after that, you can cite some examples of this progressive takeover of sex education.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Default OK, everybody into the lotus position.

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with "God and the Bible"? There are plenty of progressives that have such a phobia of God and the Bible that they will avoid any and every idea that remotely seems religious. Sometimes it's ok to have religous things.
We have this thing called 'separation of church and state' for public institutions. The last thing I want to see in the public schools is anything religious. Public schools are for everyone, not just for YOUR children. The minute you begin to let people teach religion in the schools, then you open the door to all kinds of mischief. Do you really want prayer in public schools? Whose prayer? Catholic prayers? Kids speaking in tongues? Kids praying toward Mecca? Some witch's kid casting spells? This country isn't all about you and your beliefs.

Last edited by smithy77; 08-02-2010 at 12:39 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
granite: who do you listen to? cause if you listen to MSNBC mostly, you arent really a independent. you are a leftist.

MSNBC, where we shill for Obama and Pelosi weedays and air reruns of Lockup and to catch a predator non-stop on weekends.
You're right. MSNBC is definitely left of center, and I'm glad someone is out there to point out the mind numbing idiocy of the right wing screech-fest. I wish the people at Fox would realize that Glen Beck is veering off the rails. I just hope they pull him of the air before he blows his brains out on TV or something. Have you ever noticed that the right wing media rarely attack anything Olberman actually says, because he's a journalist and not just a commentator, and therefore adheres to journalistic standards. The difference between Olberman and most of the people on Fox is the fact that Olberman employs an army of fact-checkers----the people at Fox just say whatever comes into their vacuous heads, and THAT is why it is so easy for MSNBC to lampoon them and call them out on their gaffes. The people at Fox know how to attack someone's character, and that has always provided a level of entertainment to the lowest common denominator, which is exactly the audience they're shooting for. Hey, it sells---and the people who watch it are being played like a 3 dollar banjo. Rupert Murdoch is a marketing genius, but that's about all he is.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Default No sex please, we're West Omahan's

Quote:

I'm going to exit this thread because any further discussion of the progressive agenda and the tightening grip of progressives on school curriculum in recent years belongs in the POC forum. Suffice to say that progressives have taken sex education far beyond fundamentals of knowledge truly beneficial to a child. It has become an instrument of radical social change - a tool at the foundation of their quest to advance their agenda.
Hey, Bosco55David makes more sense to me than most of the old folks on this thread, and I'm 56. Sex education isn't "progressive"; and besides, you can pull your kid out if you want to. Heck, I had sex education in a Catholic High School in the early 1970's and we covered everything, even same sex relationships.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Hey, Bosco55David makes more sense to me than most of the old folks on this thread, and I'm 56.
Thanks man.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't mind if they want to have their clubs there. That's perfectly fine with me. Now having educational curriculum based off of any type of religious belief is where I start drawing lines.

I don't fear the Bible (I'm plenty spiritual myself) but I do fear using it as a teaching tool in the public school system, usually at the hands of people with extremely misguided interpretations.
You're sure acting like you fear the Bible. Honestly...I don't think we should be using it to teach curriculum...we go that route and we'll have islamic shariah law in the name of fairness.

But to ban it entirely and not even allow it in for a club or even as a literary study is weak, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
There is nothing wrong with God and the Bible...you are absolutely correct on that point...

However, I think part of the 'progressive backlash' or 'phobia', as you called it, stems from the same thing that billiefan made mention of in her thoughts on the 'leftist agenda'---that is, when folks try to use God and the Bible as a bully pulpit to try and tell everyone else how to live, i.e. 'shoving it down people's throats'...

I have always been of the firm belief that if one wants to come to God, they should be able to do so of their own free will, in their own time, without a bunch of ceaseless yelling from those who are trying to 'convert' people (forgive me if I used that word in the wrong context, but I thought it applied here)...or from those who take Christianity to extremes, denouncing anyone who doesn't accept their beliefs as the be-all and end-all of everything...
You do realize that the apostle, Paul, who wrote approximately 1/2 the New Testament, stated that if there are not people to proclaim it, how will they know?

Jesus also commanded that we go forth and spread the gospel. So to suggest that we all just live our lives and whatever happens will happen is weak. In a sense, you're imposing your beliefs on me by suggesting that a laisez-faire attitude is better than intentional prosletyzing.

Quote:
Kinda like the ongoing debate between liberals/conservatives...each side takes turns throwing 'bricks' at each other, and believing that their 'way' is the best way to do things...it's getting so no thread here on CD goes by with out it degenerating into a liberal-conservative shouting match...same goes for the debate between some Christians and some 'non-believers'...
I'll agree with you to a point. It's easy to get too worked up over politics. In the end, leaders rise and fall and the world still goes on . There are bigger things to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: