U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,309,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
The border patrol is KNOWN TO SHOOT WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND BEAT PEOPLEWHO ARE DEHYDRATED FROM DAYS IN THE SUN WITHOUT PROPER FOOD AND WATER.
Again, I do not advocate crimes or illegal activity of any sort, but let's deal with reality.
Some of you are very blind as to the plight of these immigrants and what really goes on.
Granted there are people who work for border patrol who are honest, caring individuals who do not abuse their "power" but everyone knows that many bigots and abusive people work for border patrol and abuse the illegals go and research it. Makes my skin crawl.
Honestly your posts seem the most hateful on this entire thread - calling people spoiled and telling people to shut up. Is your compassion, kindness, and tolerance only for certain people?

I do have a lot of compassion for these people who are living in horrid conditions. I have been in the guts of Mexico and seen the squalor in which some live. I am also half Hispanic and grew up poor. But I am still against illegal immigration and anything that supports or facilitates it, and always will be.

You are right though, we are VERY privileged to live in this wonderful country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

255 posts, read 736,261 times
To whom it may concern, as an American citizen, I have also taken meanial low paying jobs at times to get me through adverse times financially but the truth of the matter is, illegals are willing to do tripple the work for less money. They have a HUMAN NEED AND ARE EXPLOITED.
One can argue that the American work force is suffering because of this situation, but in all honesty, the jobs they are generally willing to take ARE NOT THE JOBS }ENERAL americans want. Many hollywood actors Hire illegal nannies for this very reason. Why pay a premium price on a na nanny when you can get "rosa" doing it for chump change, and then she gets free room and board and money to send to her poverty stricken relatives.
No normal American would take that job. Or wait for hours in the blazing sun to be a hired hand on a farm. Granted some would, and I have...but we all know its temporary for us, not an EVERY DAY FOR LIFE POSITION.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM

And no I'm not hateful. I love people and that's why the bigotry towards illegals upsets me. Aside from the legal aspect of the situation, these are people in dire need of the same lives we were BLESSED WITH. JUST FOR HAVING BEEN BORN HERE. WHAT IF THE TABLES WERE TURNED? Would we not want compassion?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,672,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
The border patrol is KNOWN TO SHOOT WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND BEAT PEOPLEWHO ARE DEHYDRATED FROM DAYS IN THE SUN WITHOUT PROPER FOOD AND WATER.
Then those people need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Sometimes people get drunk and drive....then kill someone.but I'm guessing you haven't stopped traveling by car, have you?

Quote:

Again, I do not advocate crimes or illegal activity of any sort, but let's deal with reality.
You seem to be arguing on behalf of millions of people that break the law every morning when they wake up and are here illegally. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Quote:

Some of you are very blind as to the plight of these immigrants and what really goes on.
I honestly see the reason for it...but you do realize that the country they came from doesn't let people waltz in and stay illegally, don't you? I mean, let's be fair about it. There are millions of Americans that are out of work and need help, too.
Quote:
Granted there are people who work for border patrol who are honest, caring individuals who do not abuse their "power" but everyone knows that many bigots and abusive people work for border patrol and abuse the illegals go and research it. Makes my skin crawl.
So what? Really....what does that have to with it? Are the illegals suddenly justified because there are a few corrupt border patrol agents?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Ps) I've also been to the guts of mexico, am half hispanic and grew up poor. My mom is an immigrant. A leagal one, but I still know the plight of hispanics, and illegals quite well. So please save the speech.

Last edited by ambermerci; 08-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 PM

I never said anyone breaking the laws were "justified". I'm speaking up on the hate and bigotry against them. If people took the time to educate themselves on the lives and individual life stories of each illegal..they'd know there is a heck of a lot more to it than "breaking the law".
I'm not asking for any rules or laws to be broekn, but that a human touch needs to be shown. Compassion, sympathy and love for humans who were led to these curcumstances because of their poverty stricken lives.

Its much like someone who kills someone for molesting their child. Its WRONG to murder and take another persons life Regardless of the circumstances. But if we know the background of the situation we are mor elikely to have compassion and less hate.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,464,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
You guys are missing the point here.

I know you think you've got a cute little analogy here that really blows a hole in the rationale of the jerky liberals you detest.

However your analogy is flawed.

The taking of tickets and keeping people out of the fenced area of the show is like the Federal Government, INS, and the Border Patrol checking documents and deporting Illegals when they find them.

What the concert was protesting was the law passed in the city of Fremont which required landlards and employers in that city to check the status of potential employee's or renters.

To correct your analogy that would be like the guy selling beer asking to check all the ticket stubs before selling them a beer. It's not his job to check the legal status of the concert goer. That is the job of the proper security personnel. It is not in the interest of the beer vendor to deny sale to the illegal concert goer. I would argue it is not in the interest of Fremont to deny a home to the Illegal immigrant. In fact the last population survey of Nebraska, Fremont was the only city over 20K that was losing population. Should they be trying to run out the only group of people that apparently still wants to move there?

Taking tickets at a concert is a perfect analogy. Of course there are many more that maybe better.

Why should someone that wants to go to the concert be told they can't if they don't have the money? Maybe they don't want to wait in line like everyone else. Who can blame them? And who are they really hurting if they just break in?

And you can argue that Fremont should welcome illegal immigrants because their population is declining (so say you) but you haven't considered the reason for said decline. The meat packing industry in Fremont used to be a decent paying occupation. Those same jobs now pay minimally and employ primarily Hispanics. Not everyone in Fremont, or in the country have a college education. In the past they were still able to support their families and yes they did work in the meat packing industry.

The only logic I can see in the illegal immigrant debate is that those that think illegals shouldn't be deported are either in the pocket of big business or are trying to reintroduce slavery.

The illegals are forcing wages down in America and forcing more citizens into poverty. Big business is making the profit.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Lol..no one wants to be an illegal in mexico.
But many mexicans would risk it all to come here. So to even compare the rules of both countries is irrelevant.
Which country is considered 3rd world or lower loving standards? Which country has more opportunities even for poor people? Therein, lies the answer.
And my aim was not to argue or belittle anyone or to get into the laws of anything...just to add a human touch and less bigotry as we are all human, all have the same basic needs and all share the same world. Regardless of where we live.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 PM

Lol@ the ticket comparison.
Wow....not paying for a concert really = risking your life to get out of poverty.
Nope.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,464,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
No I don't think anyone believe that everyone that crosses the border is a good person. However I don't think that the folks coming to Fremont to work at a meatpacking plant are terrorists or Human traffickers, I think we can be pretty sure about that.

Actually as a self-prefessed social liberal what I would propose is that we streamline the immigration process and remove the quotas and hurdles to legal immigration. Everyone says, "oh why don't they just come legally.?" Well that's becasue it's HARD to do. I say we make it easy for anyone to come here who wants to come here for positive reasons. That means document them in a timely, in-expensive fashion, so that there is not the incentive to be an illegal immigrant. WE here in the United States create the incentive to immigrate illegally when we make the process so long and expensive.

Once we have a system in place that meets the demands of the immigrant population then I say we can just start shooting people that are trying to cross illegally becasue we know hey are up to no good since there are no hurdles to legal immigration like there are know.

There you have it, a liberal advocating violence against illegal immigrants.
And again, yes it's hard and expensive to come here legally. Like going to a concert? Don't we create the "incentive" to break into concerts by charging a fee and just putting up a little fence to keep them out?

The US has an immigration policy that "is supposed to " work in the best interest of it's citizens. We have an abundance of unskilled labor within our own population. It is not in our best interest to "open the gates" to more.

The NAFTA Treaty was to provide jobs in Mexico for Mexicans. Their gov't is corrupt and hasn't lived up to the treaty. If the illegals protested their own govt in their own country maybe they could solve their own problems. They don't appear to have a problem with protesting here.

Our country has immigration laws just like every other country. Believe it or not, there are other countries that are in worse shape than Mexico. Why should Mexicans get to go to the front of the list? Does your heart not bleed for those in worse countries? They have been on the list WAITING to come legally!

And what about the homeless and hungry US citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or