U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,462,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
But the point is the crime of illegal immigartion is not being committed against the city of Fremont. It's being committed against the United States.

If I'm really hungry and I break the speed limit to get to McDonald's and get a cheeseburger; should the McDonald's employee deny me service because I broke the law on the way there?
It certainly is being committed against the town of Fremont. Due to the lack of federal enforcement, the pay scale has dropped dramatically and education and healthcare costs rise. The rise in crime adds to taxes ie. more cops etc.

No wonder you don't think it's a problem, you don't understand the issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
moral equivilence (sp?). that would be like me saying I have a right to rob someone cause I am poor or dont like working.

dsrich98:

should we let thieves off the hook cause they are just trying to make a few dollars.
I think you said it right there!!

Should we just allow people to come in to this country and take the benefits that should be reserved for citizens that are themselves struggling to survive?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
No it wouldn't

A border is an imaginery line.

It doesn't hurt anyone to just cross it. I would argue that speeding is actaully far more dangerous than illegally crossing the United States Imaginery border line.
Tell that to the teacher in Omaha whose family was killed by an illegal drunk driver.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

704 posts, read 1,613,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
The border patrol is KNOWN TO SHOOT WOMEN AND CHILDREN AND BEAT PEOPLEWHO ARE DEHYDRATED FROM DAYS IN THE SUN WITHOUT PROPER FOOD AND WATER.

this is not true. that's completely unfounded and ridiculous.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
It certainly is being committed against the town of Fremont. Due to the lack of federal enforcement, the pay scale has dropped dramatically and education and healthcare costs rise. The rise in crime adds to taxes ie. more cops etc.

No wonder you don't think it's a problem, you don't understand the issues.

Please stay in the AZ forum. You don't know anything about Fremont. Thanks

Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I don't think there's any denying that most fans of Conner Oberst are white. So an African American at the concert might stand out a bit, right? So maybe security says, he might have jumped the fence and not paid so let me check his ticket. So if an Hispanic person who was born in this country forgets to use his turn signal and gets stopped. I don't think its a stretch to think of a scenario where the officer says, Arizona borders Mexico, this guy looks Mexican, I better check his ID. Would he do the same thing if the driver was white? Probably not.
This sounds like a racist comment. Who are you to say what music an African American may like?

And you may be unaware, but, Arizona is 40% Hispanic. And if a Hispanic doesn't use his turn signal he should be stopped like anyone else. And again, like anyone else, black ,white, pink, or green, he should be asked for license and registration. If the Hispanic can't produce a license and registration he has committed another crime. And just like everyone else that is black, white, pink, or green...then they may have a problem. If they are here legally ICE would give them the opportunity to rectify the problem by producing their license and registration and paying their fines.

Isn't it a law for EVERYONE to carry license and registration while driving?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
tell that to the teacher in omaha whose family was killed by an illegal drunk driver.

drunk drving is a violent crime. Illegally crossing a border is not...

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM

48 posts, read 87,615 times
If it helps, I was at the concert and it was awesome. Also, about 95% of the people at the concert were white. Anyone who can read above the third grade level would know that yman97 was not dictating what music black people may or may not like - he was simply making an observation.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

255 posts, read 735,340 times
Obviously there are illegals everywhere. Mexico however has the highest number of illegals in the US, is in close proximity to the US, and recieves the most attention..but of course there are people all over the world in refugee camps waiting to be sponsored and come to America..and there are many other illegals from Guatamala, Canada, Cuba and other countries.
Just because I mentioned Mexico,does not make me ignorant to the fact that there are other illegals from elsewhere, or that there are people WAITING BY THE DROVES TO ENTER THE US. And no, I do not have any more compassion for Mexicans than others..I feel for all humans..and again, I didn't make comments here to tear anyone up or argue. I just saw what seemed to me,to be a lack of compassion and understanding for others.
Thanks and have a great day.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
No offense to anyone in particular, but comparing illegal immigration to not paying for a concert isn't a good comparison. People who risk their lives and leave their homelands without proper paper work, are in Fact law breakers..but there is a reason for their madness. Put yourself in their shoes. If you felt trapped and unable to rise above poverty no matter how hard you worked and you knew that by going to another country you'd be able to live 5 times better, would you not risk it?
As Americans we were BORN UNDER PRIVLEGE. Even the poorest of us, can receive welfare, housing, food stamps, new clothes, medical and cable tv if we fill out the right paper work. In 3rd world countries, if you are poor, you are VERY POOR. I do not advocate illegal activity of any kind, but I do have a heart and compassion.
Some of you make me sick with your biased, bigoted comments. If you were blessed growing up in a nice home where you didn't have to share your room with 5 other siblings and had an indoor toilet and your choice of cereal boxes as you watched Saturday morning cartoons, then please shut up.
If you are living in the US and can still say this than you are dilussional. We also have a population of underpriveledged here. And no, we can't just walk in to the welfare office or hospital and get what we want for free. And ya see, nothing is free. SOMEONE is paying for it, just not you!

Part of the problem with trying to intellectually debate this issue is that those that feel "entitled" to the benefits of US citizens, argue their point by assuming that all Americans live in nice homes and have cable and the whole list that you concocted. It's a falacy that Calderone or someone else fed you.
And I'm sorry I make you sick because I don't feel responsible for feeding the world. I gladly pay my share to help citizens that are here LEGALLY as well as volunteering and giving to charity. Am I bigotted and biased when I do that or am I only bigotted and biased when I don't want to support someone that comes here illegally and tries to steal the things I give willingly to legal citizens.

Please respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or