U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 7,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yeah, but if the city loses out on the tax revenue, it's kinda pointless isn't it?

While you do lose the tax revenue on some items, other items are not tax free and you are also drawing in people who would not have otherwise come into your state/community to shop. So anything they buy that is not tax free is a bonus.

On a development side, the one weekend "shot in the arm" of receipts at local stores can significantly boost overall sales numbers giving already present retailers incentive to build new facilities or hire more employees. It can also make an area look more attractive to retailers who are looking to open a new location in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM

736 posts, read 1,663,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Council tucky probably does all that stuff to further convince people to come over the river. I sure as hell wouldnt live there.
It is not just the City of CB, it is the whole State of IOWA that is in a tax free weekend.

The City of Council Bluff has really come around in the past few years. OWH just had a piece on the 3.5 million dollars bridge sclupture that is goin up now. Looks pretty cool.

CB is looking good to a lot of people.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
Do you actually save any money? Or do the retailers mark their stuff up?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,307,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Do you actually save any money? Or do the retailers mark their stuff up?
I can't speak for CB, but where I live it seems that retailers actually compete and mark things down. They know everyone is going to be out shopping that weekend so there are a lot of sales.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,127 times
Quote:
Yeah, but if the city loses out on the tax revenue, it's kinda pointless isn't it?
so you are saying that people in Omaha saving money is bad

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Funny how you lower taxes and people go spend money.

HEY WASHINGTON LIBERALS SEE HOW THAT WORKS!!!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM

13,906 posts, read 19,079,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so you are saying that people in Omaha saving money is bad
No, I'm saying that there is very little benefit to the city from a financial standpoint.

Now if Omaha wanted to put Council Bluffs' nose to the grindstone (and I would) they could always have a 4 day tax holiday spanning the weekend plus the Friday and Monday while increasing the cap on tax free items and extending it to more products. In one fell swoop we could completely steal CB's mojo and beat them over the head with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post

Did you sleep through all of 2009? Maybe instead of spending all that time complaining about eastern Omaha you should have turned on the news.

Quote:
The size of the proposed tax cuts -- which would account for about 40% of a stimulus package that could reach $775 billion over two years -- is greater than many on both sides of the aisle in Congress had anticipated. It may make it easier to win over Republicans who have stressed that any initiative should rely more heavily on tax cuts rather than spending.

The Obama tax-cut proposals, if enacted, could pack more punch in two years than either of President George W. Bush's tax cuts did in their first two years. Mr. Bush's 10-year, $1.35 trillion tax cut of 2001, considered the largest in history, contained $174 billion of cuts during its first two full years, according to Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation. The second-largest tax cut -- the 10-year, $350 billion package engineered by Mr. Bush in 2003 -- contained $231 billion in 2004 and 2005.
Obama Eyes $300 Billion Tax Cut - WSJ.com

Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:

that might scare liberals since many liberals believe in the ways of Jim Wallis (aka socalism)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
No, I'm saying that there is very little benefit to the city from a financial standpoint.

Now if Omaha wanted to put Council Bluffs' nose to the grindstone (and I would) they could always have a 4 day tax holiday spanning the weekend plus the Friday and Monday while increasing the cap on tax free items and extending it to more products. In one fell swoop we could completely steal CB's mojo and beat them over the head with it.

Did you sleep through all of 2009? Maybe instead of spending all that time complaining about eastern Omaha you should have turned on the news.

Obama Eyes $300 Billion Tax Cut - WSJ.com
From what I understand Obama is goin to STOP the Bush tax cuts 01-01-2011.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
From what I understand Obama is goin to STOP the Bush tax cuts 01-01-2011.

happy, wont that be 2 weeks before Pelosi and Reed are no long Majority leaders in the Senate and House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or