U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,316,222 times

Advertisements

2 of the 3 years I lived in Omaha the Huskers were national champions under Tom Osborne. It was a wonderful time to live in NE in that respect, and I remember the pride being palpable. I just wondered how the feeling about Huskers football has changed, if at all in the last 15+ years? The pride and near fanaticism was something I rather enjoyed... They're still my favorite team and always will be. Even living in Austin where UT is couldn't sway me from big red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 08:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,877 times
It hasn't changed at all. It's more than ever now with Bo Pelini as head coach.

Support wavered and people were very upset during the Callahan era. He attempted to change the culture of the program and that really upset people and he was all but ran out of the state. That year that we didn't go to a bowl game really got people enraged.

Nebraska is getting very favorable pre-season reviews. They are starting out with a decent ranking, are said to be the guaranteed winners of the Big 12 north and favored to win the Big 12 outright and compete in a BCS game this year. Time will tell.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM

704 posts, read 1,618,076 times
Love love LOVE the huskers!!

The fire for the Huskers burns deep in Nebraska. No doubt about it!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,316,222 times
Exxxxcccellent! Go Huskers!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,202,133 times
I'm glad there are less husker fans than what I used to notice. I hang with more people who aren't originally from Omaha or NE so it's nice to not have to listen to constant husker talk. I'm glad they're in the Big 10 now so I can root for Iowa against them. College football will actually have a rivalry I care about.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Love the Huskers, but I find it real hard to get excited when Shawn Watson is calling the plays.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,144,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Love the Huskers, but I find it real hard to get excited when Shawn Watson is calling the plays.
I think you may be surprised this year. Now that the defense is more or less squared away, Bo sat down with Watson and used his defensive skills to help formulate plays that will hopefully frustrate our opponents defense. I'm looking for some creative audibles based on certain defensive schemes. We'll either mix it up nicely, or we'll rely on our brutal defense to get our wins.

If our offense stays mediocre for another year, look for Watson to be replaced next year.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I think you may be surprised this year. Now that the defense is more or less squared away, Bo sat down with Watson and used his defensive skills to help formulate plays that will hopefully frustrate our opponents defense. I'm looking for some creative audibles based on certain defensive schemes. We'll either mix it up nicely, or we'll rely on our brutal defense to get our wins.

If our offense stays mediocre for another year, look for Watson to be replaced next year.
The plays aren't the issue. It's the retarded mismatched offensive scheme we run and the inept play calling which has been hampering this offense just as it did when Shawn Watson was at Colorado.

I like Pelini alot, but he needs to decide if his offense is going to be based on the spread (my preference), West Coast, Earhart-Perkins or the option. Then, he needs to find someone who can call that offense.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,652,840 times
You mean the same offensive play calling that just a few years ago was one of the best in the country??

Shawn Watson is a pretty good OC. Did you see Lee's accuracy and decision making last year?? Did you see how horrible Greene looked when he came in? Maybe the system isn't what we want but just like going from the option to the West Coast system you can't instantly reverse it either. He's working with what he has.

To say Shawn Watson is a bad OC is revisionist. He stayed here last year even though he was being offered more money to leave for Alabama. Saban was offering him more money to come down and be his OC. Yet, he instead decided to stay at NU for loyalty sake even though he knew he would have had a better team and a better chance to move up to a HC position after coaching a national contender at Bama. Watson gets guru status amongst the coaching ranks. Maybe you don't like his style but he is effective when given even decent weapons.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
You mean the same offensive play calling that just a few years ago was one of the best in the country??
You can thank Bill Callahan for that. As much as he sucked as a head coach, he is a very good play caller.

Quote:
Shawn Watson is a pretty good OC.
Ask some Colorado fans (they put up with him for 6 years) if they agree with that statement. I remember when Callahan hired Watson, several of my Colorado friends couldn't decide if they were happier that Watson was leaving or that he was joining the Huskers.

Here is a post one of them made on a football forum I frequent.

Quote:
I've seen Mizzou play better. A LOT better. IMO, they played better against Troy State than they did against CU.

Shawn Watson has to go. I'm not ready to lynch Barnett up yet (I'm NOT a fan of his, but that's another rant), but Watson has to go. Now. I'm fine with a mid-season firing in fact. Run on first, pass on second, pass on third, kick on fourth. It's pathetic. For a team that spends so much time studying the Broncos offense, they certainly don't show it. For crying out loud, TERRY BOWDEN pointed out that we weren't doing anything creative. That's as low as it gets. I can vouch to the fact that there are a lot of players on the offense that are frustrated with what Watson is doing and have even had discussions where they're not sure he knows what the game plan is.

The good news is, this week is the toughest Big XII opponent we'll face. If we can ride the homecoming wave, if we can stop the running attack and if the offense can remove Watson's head from his ass (all big ifs, especially the last one), we can win. We have Texass on the schedule, but their season will be done this Saturday when Oklahoma gives them their annual b****-slapping. KSU is overrated (there's a shocker), and NU is hardly potent on offense. Mizzou has to go to NU so there's a potential loss. We can still catch them. A lot depends on this weekend.
You know who Shawn Watson reminds me of? Jeremy Bates. Against weaker opponents and when everything is clicking he can call some very good games, however if the defense takes him out of his game plan he almost always keys in on certain mismatches and refuses to adjust on the fly. The only difference is that Bates is young (33) and inexperienced while Watson should know better.

Quote:
Did you see Lee's accuracy and decision making last year??
You must have been watching a different Zac Lee than I was. I saw him have some good games against some very weak opponents and go into turtle mode against decent competition.

Quote:
Did you see how horrible Greene looked when he came in?
Not a whole lot worse than Lee, especially for a freshman.

Quote:
Maybe the system isn't what we want but just like going from the option to the West Coast system you can't instantly reverse it either. He's working with what he has.
Hence the problem. Not only is he running some half ass, bastardized offense...just like he did at CU...he's trying to implement it slowly. You don't do that. You install it, take the lumps that come with the change and by year 2 you're pretty much at full speed.

Quote:
To say Shawn Watson is a bad OC is revisionist. He stayed here last year even though he was being offered more money to leave for Alabama. Saban was offering him more money to come down and be his OC. Yet, he instead decided to stay at NU for loyalty sake even though he knew he would have had a better team and a better chance to move up to a HC position after coaching a national contender at Bama.
His loyalty, while admirable, doesn't make him a good coordinator.

Quote:
Watson gets guru status amongst the coaching ranks. Maybe you don't like his style but he is effective when given even decent weapons.
I don't know who called him a guru, but I venture they're not much more than a casual fan who think they know alot more than they really do. "Gurus" don't need their good friends (Barnett and Callahan) to get them their only coordinator jobs at major programs and don't switch between several offensive styles during a single season, among other **** ups.

As for my style, I've been saying since Callahan was fired that we should snag up one of Urban Meyer's talented offensive assistants to be our OC. There are several of them on his staff that are very highly regarded, know the spread option inside and out, have coached in the toughest conference in college football and could have installed that offense here in Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha