U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2007, 03:32 AM
 
18 posts, read 56,469 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I grew up and lived in North Dakota and will be retiring from the military.
Is it reasonable to to believe that I could fully retire and live near or around Omaha on about 45K a year.
I'll have no bills, and expect a very small house payment.
Any or all opinions are greatly appreciated.
Can anyone tell me the cons about living there.
I spent about 4 days there last summer and really liked what I saw.
Thanks,
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 AM
 
482 posts, read 2,037,358 times
Reputation: 196
Depends on what you want. You can find a nice place in a smaller community around Omaha that will be quiet with some friendly people. Cost of housing could be lower and taxes could be lower as well. The down side is that you would have to travel into Omaha in order to find a new job after your retirement. Offutt Air Force Base is there so you can stay on Tricare Prime if you want and use your medical benefits. They have a nice commissiary and they are building a new Base Exchange at this time that will be a nice addition. If you still have kids in school then you will need to check out which schools will fit you best your family needs. So take the time to check out the area real good first. You might also take a look on the Iowa side of the river.

I am also retired military and to me Nebraska is not very friendly to retirees, but that is just what I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 AM
 
Location: Omaha
88 posts, read 73,687 times
Reputation: 27
If you are on a pension and want proximity to omaha --but also want lower expenses - try Traynor IA - Silver CIty IA -- Glenwood IA - or even perhaps Ashland NE -- All within driving distance to the medical facilities you will be using.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 AM
 
18 posts, read 56,469 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Depends on what you want. You can find a nice place in a smaller community around Omaha that will be quiet with some friendly people. Cost of housing could be lower and taxes could be lower as well. The down side is that you would have to travel into Omaha in order to find a new job after your retirement. Offutt Air Force Base is there so you can stay on Tricare Prime if you want and use your medical benefits. They have a nice commissiary and they are building a new Base Exchange at this time that will be a nice addition. If you still have kids in school then you will need to check out which schools will fit you best your family needs. So take the time to check out the area real good first. You might also take a look on the Iowa side of the river.

I am also retired military and to me Nebraska is not very friendly to retirees, but that is just what I think.
kosnebbear,
Thanks, look forward to more insight.
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 AM
 
18 posts, read 56,469 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse--james View Post
If you are on a pension and want proximity to omaha --but also want lower expenses - try Traynor IA - Silver CIty IA -- Glenwood IA - or even perhaps Ashland NE -- All within driving distance to the medical facilities you will be using.
jesse--james,
Thanks, look forward to more insight.
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
 
482 posts, read 2,037,358 times
Reputation: 196
Well what more insight are you looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,096,954 times
Reputation: 1025
Taxes are quite high here in Nebraska. Property taxes, cell phone taxes, income taxes, everything is high here. One thing you might want to consider is living across the river in Council Bluffs where taxes are much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
 
8 posts, read 28,922 times
Reputation: 12
I agree with Hawkeye48. Don't forget about the snow, but you should be use to that being from North Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 04:02 AM
 
18 posts, read 56,469 times
Reputation: 14
I really did not plan on working when I retire. I'll have no bills and a retirement of about 45K a year. Is that enough or do I really need to consider working
Thanks,
Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Papillion
2,585 posts, read 9,526,090 times
Reputation: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
I really did not plan on working when I retire. I'll have no bills and a retirement of about 45K a year. Is that enough or do I really need to consider working
Thanks,
Jon
You can be very comfortable at that level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top