U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Reputation: 9155
Agreed. I don't think $50 a year is too much to ask from people so we can give them decent, snow plowed roads. If they want to be babies about, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
 
6,125 posts, read 6,432,588 times
Reputation: 6533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Agreed. I don't think $50 a year is too much to ask from people so we can give them decent, snow plowed roads. If they want to be babies about, so be it.
Like that's ever going to happen...decent snow plowed roads....LOL. There's no way the money will actually go to maintain the roads.

I won't be subject to the tax, but if I was then I think I should be entitled to use Omaha city services. Pick up my trash and give me a free library card, a$$holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
 
6,125 posts, read 6,432,588 times
Reputation: 6533
Oh yeah, you're welcome for the money you're stealing through the Learning Community.

Signed,
Sarpy County residents who never support Omaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Like that's ever going to happen...decent snow plowed roads....LOL.
We managed to do it for decades until Hal Daub got into office and decided to start slashing at the tax rates and pay for it by not buying city equipment. That's a big , (but not the only) reason why we still have police cruisers from 1997, half of our snow plow fleet is broken down and we have dead trees falling on cars parked at intersections.

Quote:
There's no way the money will actually go to maintain the roads.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the law is written to where that money can only be used for the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Omaha, NE
1,048 posts, read 2,139,555 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Find me a tax someone does like.
I don't mind paying taxes if my money is spent wisely and used for the things it's supposed to be used for. I think most people are like this. However, I was pointing out that as long as there are still people willing to drive to Iowa to save 2 cents on gas, there are certainly people that will drive outisde of Omaha to grab a bite to eat, even if it's just to prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that the law is written to where that money can only be used for the roads.
Of course it's written that way. But so was the last tax and the "temporary" wheel tax, that is now permanent and going up. It's always supposed to just be used for roads, but always they find a way to dip into it for other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I don't mind paying taxes if my money is spent wisely and used for the things it's supposed to be used for. I think most people are like this. However, I was pointing out that as long as there are still people willing to drive to Iowa to save 2 cents on gas, there are certainly people that will drive outisde of Omaha to grab a bite to eat, even if it's just to prove a point.
I agree. There's a very vocal minority of people who like to rant and rave about taxes and do stupid things like drive to Iowa to save a couple cents. They aren't proving any point though, except for the fact that they're not very bright.

Quote:
Of course it's written that way. But so was the last tax and the "temporary" wheel tax, that is now permanent and going up. It's always supposed to just be used for roads, but always they find a way to dip into it for other things.
Do you have evidence of this actually happening? I think if it was a known fact and not just tax cranky rhetoric, someone would have made a big deal about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM
 
5 posts, read 16,808 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
There's a very vocal minority of people who like to rant and rave about taxes and do stupid things like drive to Iowa to save a couple cents.
You're absolutely right. A very, very, very small minority who do all those things. But there's a larger, much larger minority and quite even a majority that believes you should keep your filthy, tax happy hands out of other people's wallets. You can volunteer to pay more taxes and I'm sure the city will be more than happy to take that money off of your hands. And for a guy who wants evidence, I'd like some evidence of Hal Daub's tax slashing at work. Daub doesn't have any significant power over taxes to a significant degree in Omaha's political structure. If that were the case, what was the city council doing at the time?

Not that I'm some defender of Daub. The guy's a moron, running on a graffiti and gang violence platform the last go-around. I mean come on. It isn't like Daub was the only stooge over time to hoist follies on the public. Wasn't there a guy who decided to help saddle us with a baseball stadium-sized bond debt. Why not make voters who decided to vote for such a boondogle pony up, just like the voters who sold us out on the Qwest center should?

Omaha's problem isn't that we're short of revenue, it's a spending problem. Too many stupid projects and too little focus on the core services the city provides. Too many visionary planners and far too few bean counters to put them in their place. If Omaha really wants to play pretend-big-city with big-city-tax-policy, it will drive the city to be the next Philadelphia, Detroit or god-forbid, Cleveland. Detroit has no industry left, Cleveland is still the mistake on the lake and Philly (god rest her soul) has driven the vast majority of business to the suburbs outside of her giant wallet-sucking hands. The most significant common thread among them all: bureaucratic, tax-aholic business policy. Have fun (being an advocate for) driving the city into the ground Bosco!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwatt View Post
You're absolutely right. A very, very, very small minority who do all those things. But there's a larger, much larger minority and quite even a majority that believes you should keep your filthy, tax happy hands out of other people's wallets. You can volunteer to pay more taxes and I'm sure the city will be more than happy to take that money off of your hands. And for a guy who wants evidence, I'd like some evidence of Hal Daub's tax slashing at work. Daub doesn't have any significant power over taxes to a significant degree in Omaha's political structure. If that were the case, what was the city council doing at the time?

Not that I'm some defender of Daub. The guy's a moron, running on a graffiti and gang violence platform the last go-around. I mean come on. It isn't like Daub was the only stooge over time to hoist follies on the public. Wasn't there a guy who decided to help saddle us with a baseball stadium-sized bond debt. Why not make voters who decided to vote for such a boondogle pony up, just like the voters who sold us out on the Qwest center should?

Omaha's problem isn't that we're short of revenue, it's a spending problem. Too many stupid projects and too little focus on the core services the city provides. Too many visionary planners and far too few bean counters to put them in their place. If Omaha really wants to play pretend-big-city with big-city-tax-policy, it will drive the city to be the next Philadelphia, Detroit or god-forbid, Cleveland. Detroit has no industry left, Cleveland is still the mistake on the lake and Philly (god rest her soul) has driven the vast majority of business to the suburbs outside of her giant wallet-sucking hands. The most significant common thread among them all: bureaucratic, tax-aholic business policy. Have fun (being an advocate for) driving the city into the ground Bosco!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,673,880 times
Reputation: 1272
Typical democrat policy. It is mind-boggling that they can't figure out that increasing the cost of employment or reducing take-home pay hurts the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,416,131 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I still don't understand why Omaha people can't pay for their own garbage pick-up.
We do. We pay for it in our taxes. Just because the city dose not have a special tax for it does not mean it is free. The money payed to deffenbaugh comes from somewhere and that is from the taxpayers! Those crying about this make as much sense as those saying renters pay no property tax. The owner pays the tax and passes the cost to the renters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top