U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM

13,879 posts, read 19,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Because private firms will do it far more efficiently. When faced with zero competition the city employees will under perform when compared to a market with several privately competing firms. Privatization isn't always the answer but when its an option that won't run into market breakdowns its usually the superior one. Trash pick up is something that does better when privatized.
Really? The proof I've seen contradicts that pretty heavily, and I've seen it just recently. In late 2007 we moved out of a medium sized city here in Florida that had their own city run trash service that was less expensive than the private companies we must hire to haul the trash in our new city, which does not provide that service. I'm betting it has something to do with that gross inefficiency of driving all over the city in large trucks to serve whichever citizens decide to hire you. Hell, in my neighborhood alone we've got 3-4 different companies running their trucks up and down the street to pick up trash.

Of course it's all moot anyways, as Deffenbaugh is a private company that is simply contracted and paid by the city. I find that to be a perfectly acceptable middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 AM

816 posts, read 1,412,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
If you would pay for it out of your pocket like EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO DO, the tax money that pays for it could be used for something else.
You do realize most large cities do exactly what Omaha dose. I think your compairing Omaha to Ralston, LaVista, and the like and you really can't do that. You just sound like another anti government person to me as I do pay for my trash service out of my own pocket. I pay the city taxes and they hire a trash service to pick it up. Either way I had to spend money to get that service.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 AM

6,120 posts, read 6,410,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
You do realize most large cities do exactly what Omaha dose. I think your compairing Omaha to Ralston, LaVista, and the like and you really can't do that. You just sound like another anti government person to me as I do pay for my trash service out of my own pocket. I pay the city taxes and they hire a trash service to pick it up. Either way I had to spend money to get that service.
So pay your city more money so they can fix their roads. Problem solved.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the part about the wheel tax increasing?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Did you miss the part about the wheel tax increasing?
No, I did not miss that.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
No, I did not miss that.
Then you should know that this...

Quote:
...is already happening.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Then you should know that this...

...is already happening.
Omahans have been electing people who cater to the police and firefighters for years. They elected someone who insisted on leasing a ridiculously expensive vehicle and gave his new employees ridiculous raises before they ever did any work. Perhaps Omahans need to take some responsibility for the mess they helped create and pay up. If they want to start charging people that don't live there, I will expect the roads to actually be fixed and I will expect the people that pay the tax to receive city services. Free library cards! Something tells me not to hold my breath.

How fair is it to charge people who mostly use state roads to get to work and then sit at their desk all day? What about those who carpool and don't even drive? Why not charge the unemployed housewives who have nothing better to do than drive around and shop all day?

I realize there's not much I can do about it. I will continue to live, work and spend my money in Sarpy county and encourage others to do the same. I look forward to seeing companies relocate or pass Omaha up thanks to the new burden they will face. There's plenty of space to build in my neck of the woods!

I will, however, keep going to concerts at the Qwest and pay for parking so all of you that would like to b*tch about me not contributing can shut it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Omahans have been electing people who cater to the police and firefighters for years.
Wrong. I suggest you go read up on the issue a little more. Hint...the only real matter of contention (pension spiking) was the result of a former mayor NOT catering to the police and firefighters and then the law of unintended consequences kicked.

Quote:
They elected someone who insisted on leasing a ridiculously expensive vehicle
Every mayor in Omaha gets a city provided vehicle. Probably happens in every other major city as well. Jim Suttle just happened to pick a Dodge Durango hybrid, yet judging by outcry by some of the public, you would have thought he leased a Bugatti.

Quote:
and gave his new employees ridiculous raises before they ever did any work.
A half truth. Yes, he gave raises to people in many positions but nobody mentions that at the same time consolidated many positions into one, requiring higher salaries. They also fail to mention that he came under his staff budget in 2009.

Quote:
Perhaps Omahans need to take some responsibility for the mess they helped create and pay up.
I agree, although it's less about paying for their mistakes and more about realizing that they're not going to be able to live in a big city and pay small town taxes.

Quote:
If they want to start charging people that don't live there, I will expect the roads to actually be fixed and I will expect the people that pay the tax to receive city services. Free library cards! Something tells me not to hold my breath.
You'll get exactly for your tax dollars are going to per state law. In this case, your occupation/wheel tax that you pay to Omaha will be used to repair Omaha roads. All other services (police, fire, EMS...etc) are essentially provided to you free of charge.

Quote:
How fair is it to charge people who mostly use state roads to get to work and then sit at their desk all day?
Absolutely fair. Just as fair as it would be if Council Bluffs, Bellevue or LaVista did the same with Omaha residents. If contributing $50 a year to help maintain the roads in the city where you work is unacceptable, then (and I think I speak for most Omahans here) by all means, feel free to seek employment in whatever podunk suburb you come from. I'm sure they have an abundance of jobs that you can take.

Quote:
What about those who carpool and don't even drive?
Check with the city. I seem to recall KETV mentioning a provision that would allow people to bypass their portion of the tax in this situation.

Quote:
Why not charge the unemployed housewives who have nothing better to do than drive around and shop all day?
Charge them what? If they live in Omaha they already pay Omaha taxes.

Quote:
I realize there's not much I can do about it. I will continue to live, work and spend my money in Sarpy county and encourage others to do the same. I look forward to seeing companies relocate or pass Omaha up thanks to the new burden they will face. There's plenty of space to build in my neck of the woods!
Ahh yes, every conservative suburbanite's wet dream. Businesses fleeing the core city to relocate to the suburbs. Sorry to break it to you, but that just doesn't happen, even in cities where the taxes are much higher than Omaha. The few times it has happened, the suburbs ended up paying...wait for it...more taxes!

Quote:
I will, however, keep going to concerts at the Qwest and pay for parking so all of you that would like to b*tch about me not contributing can shut it.
Congrats.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Wrong. I suggest you go read up on the issue a little more. Hint...the only real matter of contention (pension spiking) was the result of a former mayor NOT catering to the police and firefighters and then the law of unintended consequences kicked.

My mistake. I honestly don't care enough about Omaha to do anymore research at the moment, so I'll take your word for it. Regardless, Omahans keep voting these people in.

Every mayor in Omaha gets a city provided vehicle. Probably happens in every other major city as well. Jim Suttle just happened to pick a Dodge Durango hybrid, yet judging by outcry by some of the public, you would have thought he leased a Bugatti.

See, I don't think they should but maybe that's just me. He has money. Surely he has his own car, and he certainly could have chosen something cheaper.

A half truth. Yes, he gave raises to people in many positions but nobody mentions that at the same time consolidated many positions into one, requiring higher salaries. They also fail to mention that he came under his staff budget in 2009.

That may be the case, but people in the private sector are dealing with increased responsibilities and consolidated positions and no raises. Some people are taking salary cuts. I don't see why government should be any different. Even if he came in under budget, I can't help but wonder how much more could have been saved.

I agree, although it's less about paying for their mistakes and more about realizing that they're not going to be able to live in a big city and pay small town taxes.

You'll get exactly for your tax dollars are going to per state law. In this case, your occupation/wheel tax that you pay to Omaha will be used to repair Omaha roads. All other services (police, fire, EMS...etc) are essentially provided to you free of charge.

If I was paying this tax (I won't be), I would believe it goes for roads when I see the roads being fixed. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Absolutely fair. Just as fair as it would be if Council Bluffs, Bellevue or LaVista did the same with Omaha residents. If contributing $50 a year to help maintain the roads in the city where you work is unacceptable, then (and I think I speak for most Omahans here) by all means, feel free to seek employment in whatever podunk suburb you come from. I'm sure they have an abundance of jobs that you can take.

They may be able to legally charge it, but the person driving in on STATE roads that are maintained by the STATE taxes they pay is not causing nearly as much wear and tear as the Omaha resident who drives around on city streets all day. I think the fee should be higher for residents than for non-residents.

I think Bellevue, Papillion, LaVista and Council Bluffs should do the same and I hope they do.

Like I said, I will not be paying the tax. I have a job in my podunk town. If I choose to work in Omaha someday, I will have to suck it up and pay, but that's about all they will get from me.

I wouldn't have a problem contributing SOMETHING if it means the roads are actually repaired and plowed. I would have a problem with paying the same amount as a resident.

Check with the city. I seem to recall KETV mentioning a provision that would allow people to bypass their portion of the tax in this situation.

I hope they do.

Charge them what? If they live in Omaha they already pay Omaha taxes.

Charge them more than the non-resident who is sitting in their office all day, NOT driving around on city streets.

Ahh yes, every conservative suburbanite's wet dream. Businesses fleeing the core city to relocate to the suburbs. Sorry to break it to you, but that just doesn't happen, even in cities where the taxes are much higher than Omaha. The few times it has happened, the suburbs ended up
paying...wait for it...more taxes!

I know it won't happen, but geez...can't I have my dreams? LOL I will be interested to see how many people stick to their plan not to spend money in Omaha.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM

1,135 posts, read 997,252 times
I don't live or work in Omaha anymore, so this doesn't affect me. Most of gripe that I hear is that those who work in Omaha but elsewhere will pay the same amount as those who live and work in Omaha. I will be cutting back on the money I spend in Omaha when Blair's Wal-Mart is built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha