U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,102,089 times

Advertisements

That's what I thought of as a reason why this route could work a little better than if the 5 wasn't around. I could actually see a good number of people transfering between the 5 and the 42 over the course of a day. I made a sample schedule and I made it to line up with the 7 so there's a good transfer at 42nd & Sunshine. It also works so it gets to the Paypal/Southport area 15 minutes before and after shifts. It seems like a bit of a squeeze as the schedule shows a 30 minute duration between MCTC and Southport, but I think it would be best to be a 30 minute route. Otherwise people probably wouldn't use it. I went for 30 minute frequency during the rush and 1 hour for off periods. Does this schedule seem realistic?
Attached Thumbnails
Omaha Metro Area Transit to change it's name (still no buses west of 120th street or south of harrison street)-route42harrisonmappaint.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,463,450 times
sounds good and realistic, but Curt Simon (like with most suggestions) wont listen, unless he is forced to listen (i.e. pressured)

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM

592 posts, read 662,072 times
Does anyone know why there is no bus service to the airport? Sorry if this was already discussed in a previous page.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Does anyone know why there is no bus service to the airport? Sorry if this was already discussed in a previous page.
There is bus service to the airport. It's just very thin. Only every 45 minutes during weekday rush periods.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
There is bus service to the airport. It's just very thin. Only every 45 minutes during weekday rush periods.
route 16 Bus Route 16 - Omaha Metro

is the airport route

(for now it's the airport bus route, considering Curt Simon is trying to cut down on bus service in Omaha who knows if route 16 may still be around in a year. (coughs route 1 in mid-town)

Old 04-11-2013, 02:12 PM

35 posts, read 50,606 times
sad that the airports own website doesn't even show that there is a bus option to get to the city...

How hard do you think it is to show which bus arrives at each stop? All the Metro needs to do is just put the bus number on the lil Metro placard so visitors ( and soon to be residents) like me know exactly which bus comes to that stop. SMH!! I was walking around the Old Market seeing tons of stops but without a way to know which bus stops there. Let alone try asking natives----I tried a bunch of times and hardly anyone knew ANYTHING about the bus even if they worked by the bus stop....

::SIGH:: I understand that when I live here I will know that the #2 goes straight thru Dodge and #11 is on Levenworth but who knows where they turn off other streets etc? Can't tell with this system unless it's at a transfer point- which, by the way- in the old market I was on dodge and 13th and THREE buses go there- 7,13,2 and you can never tell unless you ask the bus driver...

I don't really understand the transfer rules after reading them...

Old 04-11-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptianbrooklynite View Post
sad that the airports own website doesn't even show that there is a bus option to get to the city...

How hard do you think it is to show which bus arrives at each stop? All the Metro needs to do is just put the bus number on the lil Metro placard so visitors ( and soon to be residents) like me know exactly which bus comes to that stop. SMH!! I was walking around the Old Market seeing tons of stops but without a way to know which bus stops there. Let alone try asking natives----I tried a bunch of times and hardly anyone knew ANYTHING about the bus even if they worked by the bus stop....

::SIGH:: I understand that when I live here I will know that the #2 goes straight thru Dodge and #11 is on Levenworth but who knows where they turn off other streets etc? Can't tell with this system unless it's at a transfer point- which, by the way- in the old market I was on dodge and 13th and THREE buses go there- 7,13,2 and you can never tell unless you ask the bus driver...

I don't really understand the transfer rules after reading them...
I just have a hard time understanding why so many people expect that amount of information at a bus stop. I can understand numbers- yes, they need to put the numbers at the stops like they used to. Basically I think they should do it the way they do at a transfer stop, but without the transfer sign. But maps, schedules, turning directions; it's all redundant. What's the point of having all those things at the stops when that's what the website and schedules are for?

Don't get me wrong, maps and schedules should be at high traffic stops and transfer points, and specifically the stop at the airport. I'm just on the side of "if we use the website and schedules from the bus, and do a little planning, we wouln't have problems." I never have a problem when I ride the bus because I do all of these things. They're easy to do and they ensure that I won't be stuck at a stop wondering if I'll be stranded or not. With the resources they already offer, I don't see any excuse to not be aware of where you want to go and when, and how to do it.

Just a fun fact I think most people don't know, there are maps and schedules at some of the bus stops in council bluffs.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:52 AM

I just found out that Metro is eliminating Route 48. Route 48 has always been a route that mainly caters to the students of Bryan High/Middle Schools. In recent years, this is all it has been for. In the past, the route started near Bryan and went north on 48th, 50th, and 52nd, and served the medical center. The last day of service is May 31st. The reason is likely low ridership, and Bellevue can't justify paying for it. I might add that within the last five or so years, Bellevue has dropped four of the five routes that have served the area in the last 20 years. First the 60, then the 50, 17, and now 48.

On a less significant note, I noticed they also eliminated the South 72nd/Crossroads Stadium Express route.

It seems Metro has been on a route eliminating spree in a short period of time. Just in the last two years they dropped the 1, 10, 17 and the soon to be gone 48; all of which are routes that don't have any replacements (like how the 3 now serves 42nd in place of the 40). I think it's about time to get some new routes in place of these eliminations. Or at least some significant technology and information improvements other than new buses. I'm bored of hearing about new buses; lets see some new routes. I don't remember the last new fixed route in Omaha because it probably happened before I was born. Anybody have an idea of the last new fixed route?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM

I figured that would evenutally happen with the 48 route.

Curt Simon has no intention, nor plans to ever add new bus routes.

as long as he runs into the ground, I mean runs Omaha Metro Bus we will never see any new bus routes.

to him down-sizing and less bus service is his goal. Maybe advertising the bus routes would encourage bus service. But Metro Bus dont care.

I wouldnt be surprised if weekend bus service (or at least what little there is sunday service vanishes in omaha down the line)

or the elimination of bus service after 7 pm on weekdays and saturdays (u know like bus service ends shortly after 6 pm on sundays)

Old 05-04-2013, 02:27 PM

the last 2 new routes that happened were several years ago with the 25 circulator route http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-rou...d-hartman-loop (which is part of the 3 bus route)

and the 92 express route http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-rou...-weekdays-only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or