U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:51 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,472,512 times

Advertisements

also, can we get rid of the loitering center aka Benson Park Transit Center

the extra 10 minute breaks the bus drivers take is causing the buses to be real late (almost always the 5 and 14 routes are late going east from BPTC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 AM

and the 14 would run on saturdays?

that actually would be a improvement for once for the bus system

(though, I am skeptical that expanded bus service on weekends will happen and Less Bus Service is what Curt Simon wants (and more difficulty on weekends) , at least that seems to have been the case I have seen for years.

the 18 running every 30 minutes on sunday wont happen either.

same with the 4 running every hour on sundays. or the 3 running every 30 minutes on saturday.

(if it does it will stop due to lack of ridership)

plus Metro still wont get much new customers.

METRO has messed up the bus system for too long and most omahans have for many years avoided it cause of it's impractical ability.

22 and 9 and 25 and 32 and 94 would be gone.

36 is too practical, it wont get approved.

55 only running to 108th and I? u gotta be kidding.

I sometimes on saturdays walk from 138th and Q up to 156th to go see friends. End it at 132nd and L would be better compromise.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 05-06-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 02:50 PM

my prediction: more bus service on sundays (in which the buses are barely half full or used, I should know I take the 4 or 8 or 18 or 15 buses a lot on sundays)

will cause death of sunday bus service all together

Old 05-18-2014, 12:40 AM

11 posts, read 14,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
By the way, what street did the 20 serve? I've never heard of it.

The system we currently have is so different than the one we had when I was a kid. I have a lot of fond memories riding bus routes that no longer exist. It may be just a bias, but I feel like we had better service when there were buses like the 9, 17, 36 and 24 that used to go from downtown to about 45 minutes out without necessarily serving or terminating at a transit center.

I hear there used to be a 72 that ran straight up 72nd all the way from immanuel to somewhere down south. Now you would have to ride three different routes to get that done.

If you have any other memories of routes that don't exist anymore, please share them, I'm really interested in the topic.
Tardy reply to Busguy 2010: The former Route 20 was basically crosstown in West Omaha. 120th from Millard, and then through Westroads. Can't remember if it went on north to 102 & Maple, or if I would xfer to a 4 or 14.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 AM

Finally obtained on-bus brochure and studied on-line material for Fall 2014 massive changes. This is a very disappointing snow job that could severely hurt Metro in the long run. Considering other scandals in our now downrated #16th nation (CNN News about 2 months ago), especially the Phoenix V.A. Medical Center records falsification, this is yet another example of management gone bad. One bright spot is Illinois upgrading Chicago-St. Louis rail line for 110 m.p.h. service. Shows that good things can still be achieved, and we sorely need many more leaders like the ones doing the 110 m.p.h. upgrade.^^^^^^^ Sorry to sound so negative, but Forbes and NY Times published a study showing 72% of employed Americans don't like their jobs. I no longer wonder why we receive poor service in some stores, see botched jobs like Metro just cutting back actual bus service, et al. Yes, Metro does upgrade transit centers and adds many new buses, but will be to little avail, if routes get butchered this Fall. Management has likely already made their decisions, and any further surveys or public meetings will just be to fool the public.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
Finally obtained on-bus brochure and studied on-line material for Fall 2014 massive changes.
This is a very disappointing snow job that could severely hurt Metro in the long run.

Considering other scandals in our now downrated #16th nation (CNN News about 2 months ago), especially the Phoenix V.A. Medical Center records falsification, this is yet another example of management gone bad.

One bright spot is Illinois upgrading Chicago-St. Louis rail line for 110 m.p.h. service. Shows that good things can still be achieved, and we sorely need many more leaders like the ones doing the 110 m.p.h. upgrade.^^^^^^^ Sorry to sound so negative, but Forbes and NY Times published a study showing 72% of employed Americans don't like their jobs.

I no longer wonder why we receive poor service in some stores, see botched jobs like Metro just cutting back actual bus service, et al.
Yes, Metro does upgrade transit centers and adds many new buses, but will be to little avail, if routes get butchered this Fall.
Management has likely already made their decisions, and any further surveys or public meetings will just be to fool the public.

agree. some of the changes will severely hurt Metro in the long run

I suspect the weekend bus serivce (sunday for sure) in Omaha is as good as finished once this stuff goes into place in August

I btw use the bus routes on weekends. I use the 15/55 and 8 and 18 and 13 a lot

Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM

624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
It would be bad if the 55 stopped at 108th and I. The most served stop on the route is at the Walmart on L Street.

I don't necessarily disagree with removing the 7, 9, 22, and 25 because they will essentially be covered by other routes to a sufficient level.

However, I strongly disagree with removing the 32 and the 94. The 94 is two miles away from any other express route and it serves a dense corridor in West Center. Improvements to stops could raise ridership to a good level. If they remove the 32 Grover street won't be served and that will mean the area south of Center, east of 72nd, north of L and West of 42nd will have no service. Thats basically about a 4 square mile area in the middle of the city.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
It would be bad if the 55 stopped at 108th and I. The most served stop on the route is at the Walmart on L Street.

I don't necessarily disagree with removing the 7, 9, 22, and 25 because they will essentially be covered by other routes to a sufficient level.

However, I strongly disagree with removing the 32 and the 94. The 94 is two miles away from any other express route and it serves a dense corridor in West Center. Improvements to stops could raise ridership to a good level. If they remove the 32 Grover street won't be served and that will mean the area south of Center, east of 72nd, north of L and West of 42nd will have no service. Thats basically about a 4 square mile area in the middle of the city.

the 55 and 14 and 26 (and sunday bus service in general) will be purged next.

the 55 is being butchered. the 14 wont last long being re-routed.

and there is not enough people on sundays as it is who take the bus that warrant expansion of the bus system on sundays.

I take the 8 and 18 and 15 on some sundays and it is at most half or 1/3 full (or barely has anyone on it in the 8's case)

and If sunday bus service isnt purged completly under this train wreck of a idea,

I suspect the 4 and 15 will be casualties of Metro 's fumblings and mis-steps.

just got that feeling cause I sometimes go to 90th and Maple area on some sundays for lunch

and other times go to Oakview 24 movie theatres on sundays.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 05-21-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 AM

Cool Throwing clay at a bus, er, a wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
and the 14 would run on saturdays?

that actually would be a improvement for once for the bus system

(though, I am skeptical that expanded bus service on weekends will happen and Less Bus Service is what Curt Simon wants (and more difficulty on weekends) , at least that seems to have been the case I have seen for years.

the 18 running every 30 minutes on sunday wont happen either.

same with the 4 running every hour on sundays. or the 3 running every 30 minutes on saturday.

(if it does it will stop due to lack of ridership)

plus Metro still wont get much new customers.

METRO has messed up the bus system for too long and most omahans have for many years avoided it cause of it's impractical ability.

22 and 9 and 25 and 32 and 94 would be gone.

36 is too practical, it wont get approved.

55 only running to 108th and I? u gotta be kidding.

I sometimes on saturdays walk from 138th and Q up to 156th to go see friends. End it at 132nd and L would be better compromise.
+
+
+
+

REPLY: One person reviewing the printed brochure indicated it seems Metro management has regressed to simply throwing pieces of clay at the wall, seeing if they stick.
Laughing so hard it's still difficult to write a reply.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 AM

624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
My appoligies if this isn't relevant. With these new route changes, it seems like Metro is moving with, or even preceding an over-all migration by people to move into the city.

With metro removing or reducing some of the suburb routes, I feel metro is doing the right thing; realizing the over-all change and siezing the opportunity to become a more efficient transit opporator through traveling lesser miles to serve what is projected to be a higher population relative to what is being run now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or