U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,459,328 times

Advertisements

Some Metro passengers worry about proposed changes

OMAHA, Neb. - Metro released a draft of proposed service changes in May.

Emily Brayman, who is visually impaired, contacted Action 3 News shortly after that about some of the consequences from the proposal.

On Wednesday, we caught up with Brayman as she addressed her concerns with Metro officials at an informational session.

"I was hoping to meet with someone on the board so they can see who is being affected by this, not just numbers and stats," she said.

The wait for a decision about her bus route still isn't over. Brayman uses route 55.

She lives near 138th and Harrison. The closest stop is 138th and Q, which would be eliminated if this plan is approved.

That leaves her with two options: 144th and West Center, which is four miles away, or 120th and Q, which is almost three miles away.

"Get off your desk, get out of your car, park your car and ride a bus for a week," said Brayman. "Ask people on the bus what they think of the changes."

more... Some Metro passengers worry about proposed changes - www.kmtv.com

Bus Route 15 / 55 - Omaha Metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM

the 55 is to end at 120th and l area now (not to be confused with the route vanishing all together in 2016 or 2017)

Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM

Big changes in Omaha bus routes rev up: Later hours, expanded weekend service - Omaha.com: OMAHA METRO

Big changes in Omaha bus routes rev up: Later hours, expanded weekend service

The biggest changes to the Omaha bus system in decades will begin May 31, the Metro Board of Directors decided Thursday.

Some routes have been added, changed or deleted, but the biggest difference will be more frequent buses, later night hours and more service on the weekends, said Curt Simon, Metro director.

The changes affect 25 of Metro’s 33 bus routes.

Nine of the main routes will run past midnight. All weekend routes will run at least once an hour.

The restructuring results from a two-year process that included a dozen public meetings, surveys of 4,000 riders and more than 500 public comments submitted.

A list of the changes can be found at ometro.com under the “Announcements” tab. New route schedules will be issued in mid-April, and Metro plans to roll out a marketing campaign soon.

The goal, Simon said, is to provide better job access for night shift workers and to streamline service, making routes more direct and easier to navigate for first-time riders.

Metro didn’t increase its overall budget to pay for the changes, even though the number of miles buses travel is expected to increase by 3.8 percent.

The transit authority figures the new system has potential to prompt 300,000 to 400,000 more passenger trips a year. That would be a 10 percent increase on the current 4 million trips, Simon said.

“That’s big,” he said. “The expansion and more frequent trips makes the system much easier to use.”

A sample:

Route 18, which serves a large portion of north Omaha, will run more often — every 15 minutes until 7 p.m. instead of the current 30-minute frequency.

http://www.ometro.com/bus-system/bus.../beltway-north

Routes from Westroads Mall to downtown will run every 15 minutes at rush hours.

So will routes from downtown to Metropolitan Community College’s South Omaha campus.

http://www.ometro.com/bus-system/bus.../beltway-south

more... Big changes in Omaha bus routes rev up: Later hours, expanded weekend service - Omaha.com: OMAHA METRO

Old 05-07-2015, 01:00 PM

bus route changes coming on may 31st

http://www.ometro.com/index.php/bus-...nges_05_30_15/

(if u live or work in west Omaha or sarpy county, disregard this info cause City bus system could care less about those areas

Old 05-07-2015, 01:22 PM

btw:

there probably wont be buses running on sunday for much longer

considering how Metro is screwing up weekend bus service, I wouldnt be surprised

if city bus service on sundays stops happening in 2016

(seen the bus route schedules for sundays as of may 31st and the 15 and 4 routes could use a little time tweaking for them to work

and not have to wait a hour at a transit center like Bergan Mercy

Old 05-14-2015, 03:09 PM

13,889 posts, read 19,070,929 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujBjn1qeCLs

Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,687,605 times
A really good article from CityLab about the new system. Positive, nonetheless.

Omaha Just Designed a Way Better Transit System for Zero Cost

Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 AM

624 posts, read 1,101,302 times
Talk about taking empty buses off the street, though! I think they made a great move juicing up the busy routes and taking away the ones that didn't perform. In time it'll all translate to more ridership and better funds, for better service. Win Win!

Old 05-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Talk about taking empty buses off the street, though! I think they made a great move juicing up the busy routes and taking away the ones that didn't perform. In time it'll all translate to more ridership and better funds, for better service. Win Win!
lets hope ur right and the drunks (night crowd)

and the hipster crowd will embrace taking the city bus. (after all, that is who Metro Bus is trying to pander to)

Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM

busguy2010:

the 13 sunday bus route time needs to be tweeked a bit.

u gotta wait at Bergan Mercy for 55 minutes for a 13 bus going south (after getting off the 18)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or