U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 PM

624 posts, read 1,104,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
apparently the omaha city bus drivers are giving folks a reason not to ride by pulling pranks on them:

quote:

The No. 92 Metro bus was full about 7:15 a.m. Friday when the driver announced that there was a problem — a breakdown.

Riders groaned.

The bus had started at Village Pointe near 168th and West Dodge Road and had picked up more passengers at a bank parking lot near 144th and West Dodge, headed for downtown.

Though the bus makes a few stops to drop people off at their jobs along the way, it's called an express.

On this morning, it appeared, it was expressly the opposite. People looked at their watches, fidgeting and wondering how late they would be.

Contacting Metro headquarters and speaking loudly enough on his phone that everyone could hear, the driver explained that warning lights had lit and the bus wouldn't move. He asked for an estimated time when help would arrive, and looked disappointed at the response.

He hung up, turned to his passengers and delivered the news: “April Fools!”

Brad Ven Huizen, one of his riders, said the gag surprised everyone — and brought loud laughter, followed by applause.

more... Michael Kelly: A reason to laugh - Omaha.com
It sounds to me like the riders enjoyed the prank and didn't take it hard. I would have expected the opposite, but bravo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,346 times
they are getting rid of the 10 and 17 routes next month from what a driver told me earlier

still no bus non express routes planned for west dodge road or west maple road

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM

I can see why they will get rid of the 10 and the 17. The western half of the 17 doesn't go anywhere that you cant get off the 13 or the 7 to walk a few blocks to get to. The eastern leg actually goes places where no other bus goes, so it will be a loss for those who ride... Or don't ride, I guess. The 10 is within three to seven blocks away from the 13, also something I think Metro could get away with.

In any case, if they were to remove these two routes, it will not hurt the majority of it's customers, but rather will probably benefit the majority by being able to use the money saved- by not running routes that have extremely low ridership- and using that money to enhance the well ridden routes, or use it to fund a new route.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM

5 route is cutting half it's daily bus service

and 16 might sooner or later be joining 10 and 17 as a former route

Announcements - Rider Alerts - Omaha Metro

btw: still no word when after the year 2025 will a non express bus route be allowed to go down west maple or west dodge roads

with gas prices going up, more people are taking the bus and yet,

METRO wants to cut down on routes.

I took the 4 or 14 (forget which one) on monday around noon and it was packed. about 15-20 people got on at downtown

(this btw was near downtown library

aka omaha central high library as many of us who graduated from high school who see kids skipping from central all the time jokingly nickname the library now but that is another story)

that and some west omaha mega churches and business dont want a bus route down west maple or west dodge (especially on sunday)

that is partially as one driver told me why the 55 dont run on sundays

Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 PM

816 posts, read 1,419,399 times
With the loss of the 17 I no longer have access to a bus. Just adds more fuel to getting out on a bike. Sad really in a city the size of Omaha and with ridership going up. I know dozens of people this will negatively affect, most elderly and unable to drive.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

I remember riding the 17 when it used to go down 24th and 16th and a lot of people rode the section that went into Bellevue. Ever since they made it one of those "spoke" routes, it hasn't done well, especially since Bellevue decided they didn't want to pay for the 17 service any more. I think the reason Bellevue dropped interest in it is a result of Metro making it a spoke route. Now the majority of the time it's empty when I see it. It's probably about time they removed it. A shame for the people that do ride it, but looks like not enough people are interested in using that route anymore.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
With the loss of the 17 I no longer have access to a bus. Just adds more fuel to getting out on a bike. Sad really in a city the size of Omaha and with ridership going up. I know dozens of people this will negatively affect, most elderly and unable to drive.
it is sad, and u gotta realize that METRO dont really care about good bus service.

that is why we wont likely before the year 2025 see a non express bus route down west maple road

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
Default Think before you speak..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Their customers are people that either don't have a car, or have moved into a specific area to utilize public transport. They aren't going to burn fuel to cruise out to Elkhorn to pick up 2 people and drive all the way back to Westroads for a couple bucks then drive those 2 people all the way back.

People didn't move south of Harrison and west of 120th because of the great public transportation. The vast majority of the people in those areas have cars. Especially south, because they don't even bus the school kids out there, either you live really close to work or school, or you have a car. Otherwise you'd live in Midtown like the rest of the bus clientel.
This is the typical ignorant thought process that makes Mass Transit a joke....
Did you ever think that alot of poor people have to ride the Bus out West to work those Sub-Living Service Jobs to serve the Soccer Moms, and Ditto-Heads out there?
I know for a fact all the people working at Wendy's and Burger king aren't financing a 250k home, and driving an Escalade. If you look out your windshield commuting from West O downtown to work every morning you might notice most everyone else is doing it too eh?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconious View Post
This is the typical ignorant thought process that makes Mass Transit a joke....
Did you ever think that alot of poor people have to ride the Bus out West to work those Sub-Living Service Jobs to serve the Soccer Moms, and Ditto-Heads out there?
I know for a fact all the people working at Wendy's and Burger king aren't financing a 250k home, and driving an Escalade. If you look out your windshield commuting from West O downtown to work every morning you might notice most everyone else is doing it too eh?
You're both right. People didn't move away from the city to use public transit, but lesser off people that need to get out there for work are missing out as a product of that. There are most likely fewer people that need to commute from north Omaha to west Omaha, than need to commute within their own areas. Eastern Omaha, east of 72nd was far better built for public transportation than west Omaha. With that in mind, with the money Metro is alotted, I'd say they're more obligated to fulfil eastern Omaha's needs than west Omaha's needs. It's unfortunate they don't have enough money to run routes from everywhere in Omaha to everywhere else in Omaha.

Limited funding is the reason mass transit is "a joke"(I find it to be most useful and enjoyable to use, so I don't see much how it deserves being labled "a joke". It could use some improvements, definitely, but I must disagree with you on that.)

Bottom line, would you pay extra taxes to make Metro better?

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM

When they eliminated the 5 mid-day southern section, the 10 and the 17, that took three buses off the road during rush hour, and I believe two buses during the mid-day. With the money saved from those cuts, a half hour fequency, fourty-five minute long route could be added during rush hour without spending extra money. That could amount to a north Omaha-west Omaha fixed rush hour bus route that operates five days a week.

The main thing I don't like is when they remove routes, but don't improve service elsewhere.

I forgot to mention they removed one bus from the 16 service as well, and improvements made to the CB routes in the near future will combine routes 41 and 42 and add service to currently unserved areas and will run later in the night. Route 43 will be extended westward all day to the MAC area at the expense of route 44, and I believe they will be discontinuing route 45 all together.

Last edited by Busguy2010; 05-01-2011 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or