U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM

70 posts, read 304,396 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the area between these streets are like. The area is bordered on the north by Farnam St and bordered on the south by Leavonworth and west would be 41st and on the east side border is 36th street. Is this mainly large houses or businesses, what type of people, such as young, old, college students, families etc. Is this a safe area. Is this considered midtown? Any thoughts would be appreciate. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM

143 posts, read 225,607 times
its kind of a sketchy area but not horrible...ummmm I'm not sure if its considered midtown TECHNICALLY but I would consider it midtown...It's close to downtown so that a plus. Theres prostitution in and around those areas so that sucks...Houses are big, but old. Utility bills would be horrible because of poor insulation. A lot of college kids who go to Creighton and UNMC are in the area but I wouldn't say it's 'party central' or anything like that...traffic can be sucky at times because of people rushing to and from downtown but nothing major. You've got Mutual of Omaha right there on about 33rd and Dodge also.
Are you looking to move into this area? I wouldn't say its the worst place, but there are definitley better.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM

48 posts, read 87,508 times
I live in the area, so let me clear some things up. First, there is no prostitution in the area. There is prostitution in areas near downtown, but not in the area you describe in your post. Second, yes the houses are big and old. To me, this is a plus. Many of the houses also have been updated, so utitility bills are fine. This is an area of the city that is architecturally and historically significant with mature trees. There are a couple of dumpy areas. The area on the north side of 36th and leavenworth comes to mind (about two blocks of run down homes). Otherwise, it is a fantastic area if you want access to downtown without living downtown. Also, it is called Midtown, you are right about that. Oh, and I live on 36th and work downtown and it has never taken me more than 10 minutes to drive to work. I encourage you to visit the area, some of the mansions are really remarkable.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

70 posts, read 304,396 times
Well thank you both for your response. I am actually looking at a place to rent in that area Utilities are not a problem as that is included in the rent. I will be working at the VA for approx 4 months. I want something close to the VA where I can feel safe which is my number one concern. I am also looking at places farther west past 72nd street and am afraid the traffice on Dodge would be horrible going down to try to get to work. (my second major concern) Thank you again and will have to come down and see the area soon, just wanted to get a jump start and kinda get a feel for what to expect.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM

48 posts, read 87,508 times
well, there are certainly safer areas of the city. If safety is your primary concern, you should probably live in the suburbs (anywhere west of 72nd Street). If you have ever lived in a city approaching the size of Omaha or larger, you will quickly notice that you can get anywhere in this town rather quickly. The city's roads are over engineered and, as a result, you can get places quickly and there isnt a significant push for better public transportation. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,044,739 times
I wouldn't let people scare you with the idea that the neighborhood is more dangerous. Most police calls for service are either in the NorthEast corner of the city, and in the far West.

I live about 10-20 blocks west of that neighborhood and about 10 blocks north. Over 20 years, we've had the house broken into once, (only a billfold was taken) and a bike stolen. For 4 months, I seriously doubt you'll have the least problem.

Traffic is almost never an issue in Omaha. People come back here because they get addicted to our clear roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or