Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times

Advertisements

More than anything, I think its just a sign of the times. Most people, myself included, prefer the outdoor lifestyle centers like Village Pointe and Shadow Lake. I think that indoor malls are outdated and many of them will shut down. I'm not sure about Westroads. They've done a lot of development and places like Cheesecake Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods, Granite City, Brickhouse Tavern (it will occupy what was formerly the Macaroni Grill), and the movie theatre make it viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM

124 posts, read 309,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
More than anything, I think its just a sign of the times. Most people, myself included, prefer the outdoor lifestyle centers like Village Pointe and Shadow Lake. I think that indoor malls are outdated and many of them will shut down. I'm not sure about Westroads. They've done a lot of development and places like Cheesecake Factory, Dick's Sporting Goods, Granite City, Brickhouse Tavern (it will occupy what was formerly the Macaroni Grill), and the movie theatre make it viable.
"Outdoor lifestyle centers"? Oh, Westies.

It's somewhere to buy things, but I guess that is part of the lifestyle out there.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM

76 posts, read 142,337 times
*shrug* Maybe it's just because I'm a man, but I don't care if the place is inside or outside. I need something...what's closest? Where can I get the best deal? That's where I go. I don't care what the place looks like or that it's in some fancy new urban design.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,383 times
I'm old... I remember the Center Mall. And Southroads! And the Midlands Mall.

Look across our state at towns like Grand Island, Hastings, and Scottsbluff where their malls are ghost towns. (GI's Conestoga mall is doing OK, I'm talking about the other one whose name escapes me now).

Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
i think the smaller strip malls that clutter the west omaha landscape are also cutting into the larger traditional malls take. posh shops in new smaller strips serve the label conscious types well, they can park closer and get the added benefit of showing off their overpriced vehicles. poor old crossroads, just aint hip and cool. what will become of it?

i agree with ya, michael, i dont care for malls, though im not fond of chinamart either.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Found this old picture of Midlands Mall aka Omni Center.

Midlands Mall - Council Bluffs, IA. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cbpl/5054414052/ - broken link) by Council Bluffs Public Library Special Collections (http://www.flickr.com/people/cbpl/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

32 posts, read 95,122 times
UNO should buy Crossroads, or rent out spaces. Theres nothing left, so they could turn old stores into reasonably sized classrooms. Theres TONS of parking, so get a bus/shuttle that runs from crossroads to the main UNO campus to transport students and teachers. The stores that are still there could use the added business, and it may encourage more people to come back. Bring the "customers" back, and some stores, and food places would come back as well. Just needs to be used in a different way.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I loved Omaha when I was there 2004-2007 but I did not understand why "they" were making all the same mistakes other older cities had made with regard to sprawl, hollowing out the middle and allowing urban decay to set in, downtown to fail.
Plenty of good examples out there now of what not to do and what to do but they seemed like they never examined anything and were just allowing things to happen with zero foresight.
Really sad. Ruining the city.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sspiked View Post
UNO should buy Crossroads, or rent out spaces. Theres nothing left, so they could turn old stores into reasonably sized classrooms. Theres TONS of parking, so get a bus/shuttle that runs from crossroads to the main UNO campus to transport students and teachers. The stores that are still there could use the added business, and it may encourage more people to come back. Bring the "customers" back, and some stores, and food places would come back as well. Just needs to be used in a different way.
That's way more space than UNO needs, not to mention that dropping a school on such prime real estate would be a total waste.

Since it appears that rehabbing Crossroads into a legitimate mall is out of the question, it should be torn down and have a truly legitimate mixed use facility built from the ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I loved Omaha when I was there 2004-2007 but I did not understand why "they" were making all the same mistakes other older cities had made with regard to sprawl, hollowing out the middle and allowing urban decay to set in, downtown to fail.
Plenty of good examples out there now of what not to do and what to do but they seemed like they never examined anything and were just allowing things to happen with zero foresight.

Really sad. Ruining the city.
Actually, Omaha has made significant investment in rehabbing it's urban core, with about $10 billion being invested in Downtown alone.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:54 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,199 times
Bosco55David is right on both accounts. Crossroads is a lost cause and needs to be torn down and rebuilt with mixed use Aksarben Village meets Midtown Crossing.

And Omaha has been moving back towards the city center over the past decade and looks to continue that way for the for seeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha