U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Maybe Suttle will come out with a tampon tax. Tax all those moody women for one week a month to cover that expense. =)
if he thought it would bring in a decent amount of money, he'd be on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
Has anyone been to a town hall where Suttle has spoken?

The guy really doesn't have any speaking skills. What you see on the news makes him look good. The rest of the time the things he says and how he delivers the message is useless. You really get the impression that he's a real tool.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM

13,906 posts, read 19,079,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Has anyone been to a town hall where Suttle has spoken?

The guy really doesn't have any speaking skills. What you see on the news makes him look good. The rest of the time the things he says and how he delivers the message is useless. You really get the impression that he's a real tool.
A tool? I don't think so. Needing a personality transplant and some charisma? Yeah, that would work.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM

13,906 posts, read 19,079,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That's going to be quite the headache for companies trying to determine if their employees live within the city limits or not.

I look forward to graduating college so I can move out of the grasp of Darth Suttle.
Wait a minute, didn't you just say in another thread awhile back that you wanted Omaha to annex your SID? Are you having trouble making up your mind now?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wait a minute, didn't you just say in another thread awhile back that you wanted Omaha to annex your SID? Are you having trouble making up your mind now?
I'd love it if they annexed it tomorrow. that said, I'm most likely moving out of the Omaha area when I graduate.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:09 PM

48 posts, read 87,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'd love it if they annexed it tomorrow. that said, I'm most likely moving out of the Omaha area when I graduate.

That's interesting. After reading many of your posts, I just assumed you to be a much older man. At least 50. I guess I dont know many young people who are so against downtown and urban settings in general. But it does explain why you think that Omaha's downtown is "crowded" and Omaha's streets are "congested." I am guessing you have never lived anywhere else?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaw08 View Post
That's interesting. After reading many of your posts, I just assumed you to be a much older man. At least 50. I guess I dont know many young people who are so against downtown and urban settings in general. But it does explain why you think that Omaha's downtown is "crowded" and Omaha's streets are "congested." I am guessing you have never lived anywhere else?
I'm in my 30's, working on a Master's Degree. I will likely move to a smaller town just due to the work I'll be in.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM

906 posts, read 1,533,310 times
How is it going to be "hard to determine"??? Every company has an employees address on file. Just look at the file. See where the employee lives. Not hard.

This is meant to discourage long commutes, something that is long overdue. It's actually quite irresponsible to commute long distances, putting large amounts of CO2 into the air, destroying urban communities, and destroying your own health and well being. I applaud Mayor Suttle for this.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM

6,123 posts, read 6,420,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How is it going to be "hard to determine"??? Every company has an employees address on file. Just look at the file. See where the employee lives. Not hard.

This is meant to discourage long commutes, something that is long overdue. It's actually quite irresponsible to commute long distances, putting large amounts of CO2 into the air, destroying urban communities, and destroying your own health and well being. I applaud Mayor Suttle for this.
I'd be willing to bet most people who will be subject to this have the same commute as someone who lives in Omaha.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post

Well, so how to you verify the address? People might just use fake addresses to avoid the tax. . Just saying.

My commute is long, but my job kind of requires it. I moved to where I am now to try and make my commute as short as possible, but it's still long, 25 minutes or so. I have to go to 2 different locations so I moved smack dab in the middle of them to make it as close as possible. I'd like my commute to be shorter, but I can't just quit my job. I'm not sure how I could be more responsible than I am already.

But this tax doesn't take that into account. I'll get the commuter tax, because I live outside of the city, yet for some reason I still have to pay all of the city taxes without getting any of the benefits of tax paying residents. It's just stupid, overtaxed nonsense. They need to look at the people like me that get taxed more than my fair share, but probably cost the city far less than most residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha