U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 PM

144 posts, read 90,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaw08 View Post
All points well taken Mr. Poulsen. My larger point was that CVS should make an effort to create an urban looking building. The city council, as I understand it, originally rejected the CVS plan because CVS wanted a huge parking lot and a typical box store. They submitted this plan after promosing an urban look. I believe that the city council should reject the plan on those grounds. Of course a private property owner can sell his property within the limitations of the law, but that does not mean that is what is best for the community. In my humble opinion, other cities would have rejected CVS' plan and Omaha already has too many big parking lots. I also love the 49er - a true classic dive bar.
CVS has hundreds if not thousands of examples nationwide where they have willingly integrated within urban neighborhoods as a mixed-use layout. Why? Because, as one of the largest pharma/retail chains nationwide, they know business.

Do you really think a company like CVS, who regularly integrates their stores in areas like Manhattan, Downtown Houston, Chicago, and etc, really views 49th and Dodge as a critical area to do the same? NO!

They view it for what it is. It is NOT an urban neighborhood as it applies as a standard in large cities throughout this country. Just because the residents of Dundee view their area through their delusion colored glasses, doesn't mean CVS has to.

The area is what it is. It is dilapidated with some run down businesses which apparently weren't doing all that well to begin with. It is an area adjacent to the busiest arterial transportation roadway in Omaha, NOT a walkable, pedestrian friendly neighborhood. It is an area where retail, such as a CVS, would need to rely n commuting consumers and, in turn, they need every bit of parking they can get.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design CVS submitted and I can guarantee you that Dundee residents will spend their dollars at that store anytime they find convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
You can find examples on google images of some more urban designs CVS has used, for instance:
Pheaton, notice something in this example of an "urban CVS layout?" The highrises [most notably, the condos in the immediate background] - which would indicate a very high density of residents within their market reach and at a walkable distance.

Now take 49 Dodge. You have very little multi-tenant dwellings in a reasonable, walkable distance. What you do have; you have a older neighborhoods with individual homes sitting on reasonably large plots of land. You have very low density in comparison to TRUE URBAN neighborhoods.

I will restate my above post, there is nothing wrong with the plans CVS submitted, in fact, they are very reasonable for the area.

Everyone needs to quit their bitching, they never said a word when people were selling drugs and getting drunk on these street corners with the run-down structures all these years, why the sudden miss-guided community pride?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM

48 posts, read 87,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Pheaton, notice something in this example of an "urban CVS layout?" The highrises [most notably, the condos in the immediate background] - which would indicate a very high density of residents within their market reach and at a walkable distance.

Now take 49 Dodge. You have very little multi-tenant dwellings in a reasonable, walkable distance. What you do have; you have a older neighborhoods with individual homes sitting on reasonably large plots of land. You have very low density in comparison to TRUE URBAN neighborhoods.

I will restate my above post, there is nothing wrong with the plans CVS submitted, in fact, they are very reasonable for the area.

Everyone needs to quit their bitching, they never said a word when people were selling drugs and getting drunk on these street corners with the run-down structures all these years, why the sudden miss-guided community pride?
Ha, Ha, Ha. You need to calm down. Everyone is safe - no cause for alarm. Seriously, you are on a discussion forum. If you cant stomach diverse points of view without refering to it as "bitching," I suggest you only frequent sites that support your own point of view. For me, Omaha has very few areas that are even arguably urban. I would like to keep them that way as much as possible. In my opinion, the design they submitted is an insult to the people who live in that part of town.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Ha, Ha, Ha. You need to calm down. Everyone is safe - no cause for alarm. Seriously, you are on a discussion forum. If you cant stomach diverse points of view without refering to it as "bitching," I suggest you only frequent sites that support your own point of view. For me, Omaha has very few areas that are even arguably urban. I would like to keep them that way as much as possible. In my opinion, the design they submitted is an insult to the people who live in that part of town.
What's "HA HA HA" is you having such an opinion without any sort of coherent rationale to back it up. It's a good thing people plan cities with proven principles rather than their opinions.

I also find it funny how the same anti-CVS folks who are blasting the on-street parking because of the heavy and fast moving dodge st traffic, are the same ones touting a pedestrian friendly area.

The only problem I have with CVS is them seeking TIF for this project. Makes no sense...

Last edited by Michael0603; 09-24-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:33 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,671,117 times
I think people are being entirely too sensitive over this issue. Its a damn store. The same people protesting will probably end up shopping there too.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:59 PM

48 posts, read 87,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
What's "HA HA HA" is you having such an opinion without any sort of coherent rationale to back it up. It's a good thing people plan cities with proven principles rather than their opinions.

I also find it funny how the same anti-CVS folks who are blasting the on-street parking because of the heavy and fast moving dodge st traffic, are the same ones touting a pedestrian friendly area.

The only problem I have with CVS is them seeking TIF for this project. Makes no sense...
Actually, neighborhood preservation and aesthetics are two principles often used in city planning. Im kind of surprised that you didnt know that.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Actually, neighborhood preservation and aesthetics are two principles often used in city planning. Im kind of surprised that you didnt know that.
I read through the thread and have yet to find one person who said aesthetics and preservation aren't "city planning principles."

However, since you decided to bring up aethetics, here is your comparison.

Current:

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/assessdoc/Photos/39/R09526500000001.jpg (broken link)

Proposed:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs305.ash2/58487_793173766420_16923414_44783545_6701195_n.jpg (broken link)

Gosh, I'd sure hope we can preserve that gem...

Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
You know, my apt. complex is going to be next to this new CVS pharmacy. I understand why people are upset, a place that they have good memories with good friends is being taken away from them. Anytime something important to a person is taken away they get a bit touchy about it. It's not someone's place to question ones' view as to what's important to them or why, it just is. Eventually people will get over it and move on to something else to be upset about. I love the 9er, but like all things an end must come.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,294 times
They closed Q Cinema 9, which is where my wife and I had our first date. It's sad, but oh well. Things happen, situations change. I didn't feel a need to protest it. I wish it didn't close, but I have the memories I guess. There are more important things to worry about in life than someplace you like going out of business. It seems like the protesters care more about this bar than the owner, because the owner obviously doesn't have a problem selling the place off..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or