Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,100 times

Advertisements

There are many places in Omaha with very affordable homes. Look around a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
I would love to know how many people here have actually been to North Omaha?
I live on N. 45th, close to Military. We are on the edge of what we had been told (before we moved here) was a "bad neighborhood"- interestingly enough, directly around the block starts what we were told is the "good neighborhood"- I've lived in a hugely rough neighborhood in California, and never had problems- mainly because I went to work, went home, didn't socialize with people in the area who were considered "troublemakers"- Oh yeah, I heard stuff all night long, saw the police helicopter circling the neighborhood across the street starting on Friday night and usually ending early Monday morning- and there was the interesting incident where I lay in bed one night with the window open, police helicopter shining down, and the loudspeaker from the helicopter blasting, "we KNOW you are down there...we SEE you....PUT DOWN THE KNIFE!" to someone on the block directly behind us- lol.

But...I digress.

Our neighborhood is very mixed as far as ethnicity. I don't "make friends" with the neighbors other than a "hi, how ya doing" type relationship (due to badddd experiences in the past with neighbors I got "chummy" with...)- my husband got a ride home a few times from work with a female coworker who was totally freaked to "go into that neighborhood, especially at night"- and my experience has been that the people who go on and on about the horrors over here, haven't really been over here, and have an idea in their head of "what it's like" without a whole lot of experience in the reality of it.

Here's the reality of it:

We hear sirens quite a bit, but we're somewhat close to a fire station, so that explains a lot. As well as being in somewhat close proximity to Creighton.

On Friday nights, the police helicopter starts flying around in the neighborhood directly in front of us.

The cars with the stereo blasting out ear-deafening bass do rattle our windows on occasion...ok, daily.

I don't go lower than N. 45th, except for a block or two to a mini-mart during the day- the neighborhood "that way" is rougher, and I don't like trouble, so I don't go looking for it.

We've never had any problems, but then....we basically keep to ourselves. But it's not bad, and I think that the fear factor has been overhyped.

JMO

Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM

76 posts, read 142,391 times
Quote:
Nice joke bro, you should tell it at parties
It totally wouldn't work live at a party.

Quote:
Now that I'm done being sarcastic, I'm guessing by your post that you haven't been to North Omaha, hence your argument is invalid.
I have been to North O many times. Have a few friends that live in different areas...good and bad. It was all sarcasm.....calm down. Sheesh.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 97,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason2 View Post
Why would I be pissed? What are you seeing? I see people, I see homes, I see fami lies, I see busilnesses. What exactly are you trying to say? And don't tell me all the homes are run down, and people don't keep their homes up, because through that may be true in very small pockets, and I have seen that in any area of Omaha, that is not true for the majority of North Omaha, and if your wonderful agent did not even show you these areas, how would you know? I will be nice and just call you ignorant and let your words tell what you really are.
I will take the time to answer each question in your post.

1. What are you seeing? : bodies in trash cans... thats if "they" ( being north omahians, not a race ) dont leave it in the street. Empty bullet casings can also be seen in the play grounds / streets.

2. "I see people" - no disagreement here. Homeless people. Drug Dealers. All of which are people.

3. "I see homes" - homes that are run down, with bars in the windows and covering the door.

4. "I see families" - most of the time these families can be seen hanging out on the front porch ( all day long ) - or in the street of the neighborhood / corners of streets.

5. "I see business" - business with bars covering the windows. Business with no sprinkler systems ... causing the landscaping around such business to look horrid. Basically business that look run down.

And I have lived in Omaha for around 2 decades. Didnt need my agent to show me them. Had to watch the news for the last 20 years... That was enough of a Que for me about what North O is all about.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:28 PM

9 posts, read 11,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post

1. What are you seeing? : bodies in trash cans... thats if "they" ( being north omahians, not a race ) dont leave it in the street. Empty bullet casings can also be seen in the play grounds / streets.

2. "I see people" - no disagreement here. Homeless people. Drug Dealers. All of which are people.

3. "I see homes" - homes that are run down, with bars in the windows and covering the door.

4. "I see families" - most of the time these families can be seen hanging out on the front porch ( all day long ) - or in the street of the neighborhood / corners of streets.

5. "I see business" - business with bars covering the windows. Business with no sprinkler systems ... causing the landscaping around such business to look horrid. Basically business that look run down.

And I have lived in Omaha for around 2 decades. Didnt need my agent to show me them. Had to watch the news for the last 20 years... That was enough of a Que for me about what North O is all about.
I can't believe you are for real. I will not respond to such ignorance any longer. Oh and avoid the College World Series coming up, we wouldn't want you to get mugged, or shot, or see a homeless person, after all there is a homeless shelter within blocks and don't come to the Qwest Center or stay at the Hilton. We don't want your kind down in our "hood" anyway. Ignorant idiots are not welcome here.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM

42 posts, read 97,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason2 View Post
We don't want your kind down in our "hood" anyway.
Let me be the first to say...
BELIEVE ME... I DONT WANT TO BE IN YOUR HOOD.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Normally, I don't say anything bad about people, but you truly seem like a nasty, judgmental person that I don't think I would even want to know.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM

P.S.- I hear Stepford has some really good deals on homes.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times
Quote:
Let me be the first to say...
BELIEVE ME... I DONT WANT TO BE IN YOUR HOOD.

Wow, that is pretty bad. You act like North Omaha is like the worst place. Worse than like Compton and East St. Louis. If the way you put it were true, then wow, they should have built the new baseball stadium well away from where it is. It should probably be in Sarpy County where their new stadium is being built. Omaha wouldn't benefit from it at all, but at least it would be out of reach of all the killers, rapists and drug dealers that plague the area. How stupid they are... The CWS will probably realize that they're in the center of a shooting range where anybody is fair game and leave. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't keep the CWS for any years after the 2011 season, as they don't want people to be at risk under their name. What where they thinking? East of 120th and north of Dodge... It's beyond me!

Old 11-11-2010, 12:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,163 times
Since his/her one and only post on 9/24/10, the OP has been conspicuously silent. Me thinks we have a troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbyramen View Post
Call me a newbie, but this is the very first thread I have ever created so bear with me. Just a quick question. I am thinking about moving to Omaha, Nebraska, but on a very strict budget with home buying. I found a house I really like on Fontenelle Boulevard & also 40th & Fort, but am unsure about the area. If this isn't that great of area, what places close by are for the first time budget strict home buyers? I know beggars can't be choosers, but there surely has to be SOMETHING! I just got a new job there. & thanks, for the help anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha