U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
It's all true. Just don't want to see a fella make a big mistake.
So you are admitting that there are good parts of "North Omaha"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,047,704 times
First off, the majority of Officer involved shootings this year, have actually taken place in West Omaha. If you chose to move to North Omaha, you don't have to fear for your life. plenty of people live there happily by just steering clear of anyone with gang-ties.

To those of you who encourage people to move to the suburbs, way to prove the concept of "white flight" right. What we really need is LESS segregated neighborhoods, and we only really accomplish that by showing people the real picture, that people can live safely anywhere in Omaha as long as they use basic common sense.

Personally, I live in Dundee, a perfectly safe neighborhood, I haven't ever been shot, but like anywhere else, our neighborhood gets crime too. You take common sense measures, (locking car doors, avoiding negative relationships with neighbors) and you do fine. Its no different in North O.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 PM

76 posts, read 121,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers
DONT GO! Honestly you could probably find a house in Baghdad that is not only cheaper than the one in North O - but probably safer too... just being honest.

You didn't say much about yourself ... But I will say papillion / lavista is good stuff. Very safe "cheap" neighborhood. But be forewarned - Papillion and Lavista keep their streets looking nice by employing a large # of police officers ... so if you dont want to feel like you live in a prison ... papillion / lavista isnt your preferred hood ( and this is coming from someone who lives in papillion )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
Not at all - Hope you didnt take it as one.
Actually, I was hoping it was a joke because it's ridiculous. Papillion and LaVista are like a prison?!?! I suppose if you're always looking to do something illegal, then perhaps it's true. I never felt like I was in a prison living in Lavista or working in Papio.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,515 times
As A Licensed Agent in Nebraska Your job is to find your buyer a home that matches the criteria they are looking for (In the Home itself) not to the makeup of the area. If the client asks you to eliminate areas based on any of the protected classes, you cannot (by Federal Fair Housing Law) follow their instructions, even if you are a Buyer's Agent. All ethical Licensed Nebraska Agents Abide this law.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,515 times
Quote:
That's odd ... when I bought my first home I was straight up with my Realtor ... Told her I didnt want to live in a diverse area, I didnt want a ghetto - basically told her if you wouldnt put your baby on that block ... and leave her there for 2 hours with no fear ... then done take me to that block.

My realtor said - "sounds good ... we will stay away from diverse area's / ghetto's and any other area that I would deem to be a pit" - I said "thank you ma'm can I have another?"

So for you not to be "allowed" to give your clients ( who are paying you ) good sound advice ... sounds quite ... well ... uncompetitive...
As A Licensed Agent in Nebraska Your job is to find your buyer a home that matches the criteria they are looking for (In the Home itself) not to the makeup of the area. If the client asks you to eliminate areas based on any of the protected classes, you cannot (by Federal Fair Housing Law) follow their instructions, even if you are a Buyer's Agent. All ethical Licensed Nebraska Agents Abide this law.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 9,385 times
Default So where did your "wonderful" agent decide where you should live?

Omaha has great areas. "Diversity" is an interesting term that your agent mentioned. This City is extremely diverse.
The last clients I sold a house to was up North, and it was after they researched on their own. They checked Police statistics,and as Creighton students they did their homework. And because of that, they found a beautiful home at an affordable price in an area they felt comfortable in.
It is not up to agents to decide this.
Anyone who thinks they are 100% safe no matter where they live, is living in ignorance. Crime can happen to anyone, anytime, any place.
And what did your agent mean by "diverse."
If your agent was referring to minority diverserty thay are in direct violation of discrimination laws.
I don't think your agent was representing you at all. They were representing your fears and ignorance, and because of that you may have missed a great deal on a home in a wonderful area.
Oh by the way, I live in the reviitalization area of North Omaha in a New Construction home and I love it here. This is an area of Omaha that is also "stereotyped." Go ahead and think what you want, but I live it and I made the best deal and got a great house, great neighbors and best of all an unbelievable home that I would never be able to afford anywhere else.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM

And why would I be would pissed if I pulled into North Omaha? What is it you are seeing that I don't?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Please beware of North Omaha, it is all bad, the good parts of North Omaha are few and far between.

For $50.00 a year you can buy a house outside of Omaha and work in the City. Money well spent if you compare the cost of your life and property.

Best to come here and rent for a few months till you get settled.

If you don't believe me about North Omaha just watch the local news every night.
North Omaha stems from 72nd east and Dodge Street North,, which encompasses a huge large area, including Dundee and Fair Acres which is one of the most expensive areas of Omaha and Country Club, and Florence and Minne Lusa, and I could go on. That is a big stereotype you are giving, and what is not mentioned on the News, like the house that was "riddled in bullets" in Elkhorn until they actually caught the perp.
When it actually happened the media didn't cover it. So don't think this doesn't go on where you live, Even the guy who went into Creighton Hospital,and got shot was not from North Omaha, nor the shooter at the Westroads. Keep listening and believing your Media Gods.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
How do I come off as racist? I have said nothing against any race. People on this site troll over being so politically correct - yet we forget the reason we are posting... to give sound honest answers. I know if I moved from out of state to Nebraska, and pulled into north O... I would be pissed. I think most of you would be too.

Why would I be pissed? What are you seeing? I see people, I see homes, I see fami lies, I see busilnesses. What exactly are you trying to say? And don't tell me all the homes are run down, and people don't keep their homes up, because through that may be true in very small pockets, and I have seen that in any area of Omaha, that is not true for the majority of North Omaha, and if your wonderful agent did not even show you these areas, how would you know? I will be nice and just call you ignorant and let your words tell what you really are.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,098,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason2 View Post
North Omaha stems from 72nd east and Dodge Street North,, which encompasses a huge large area, including Dundee and Fair Acres which is one of the most expensive areas of Omaha and Country Club, and Florence and Minne Lusa, and I could go on. That is a big stereotype you are giving
And those boundaries of North Omaha are an incorrect stereotype itself. What you actually described is the entire northeast quadrant of the city. North Omaha is unique in that unlike South Omaha, Benson, Millard, Florence...etc, it was never a separate city with established boundaries and as a result, it's open to interpretation.

Here are several posts from people who I consider to be very smart when it comes to Omaha matters, and yet you can see there is still differences in opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Responded to the other message thread on Benson.

In regards to "North Omaha" as a neighborhood you are probably looking at somewhere between the river and 16th as the eastern boundary; downtown Omaha as the southern edge; Florence neighborhood on the north; and a squiggly line somewhere between 30th & 42nd on the west....

From a geographical perspective everything north and south is measured from Dodge street so anything north of that line has a northern designation (e.g. 1000 N 7nd is 10 blocks north of Dodge on 72nd where 1000 S 72nd is 10 blocks south of Dodge)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
edited: quoted someone for reference and forgot to unquote them as this post wasn't meant to be directed at them.

Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetUrban from EOmahaForums
I would say people typically are referring to the area north of Cuming and east of Northwest Radial, and east of 60th when you're north of Benson. The northern boundary would probably be Sornenson parkway or Redick, but would move further north as you go east of 52nd, until you run into Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or