U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,982 times

Advertisements

I would love to know how many people here have actually been to North Omaha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 PM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
I lived on 41st and Ames for the first 10 years of my life. Of course back then it was a little better than it is now, hence one of the reasons we left.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 AM

175 posts, read 389,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason2 View Post
North Omaha stems from 72nd east and Dodge Street North
You sound like your from Millard.

I know you were trying to make a valid point in this but you're incorrect with that statement. That's not North Omaha at all, that's EAST Omaha. North Omaha is a part of it but just a small part, I'd also like to add that you'll find the most expensive homes in some parts of east Omaha.

I have family that lives in the North O and it's not as bad as some here think it is but it's not great either. You can expect to have your car broken into every couple of years and you will hear a fair share of crime related things.

It really depends on what your looking for. Do you want to live in the city and close to stuff, an old neighborhood. What's your budget? Do you want a big house or small one? If your willing to go to a smaller house you can find something in your budget in just about any area of town.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,046,783 times
Quote:
I went door to door on November 4th 2008 to get out the vote. I was initially scared due to the negative media stories, but found it to be a very charming place. a kid around my age stopped me and asked me how the election results were going, and a couple other people shouted proudly at me that they were on their way to vote. It definitely changed my perceptions.

Another time, I went on a ride-along with the OPD. at one point we drove through the same neighborhood to a report of an unattended child. We met with the boy and took him back to his day-care where they said a communication mix-up left him waiting for a school-bus that wasn't coming. They were apologetic and very respectful and thankful to the police officer for returning the boy. Again it changed my perception, as I had thought that most North-O residents hate the police. Really North O folks are normal people like the rest of us, just with different neighborhood issues to tackle.

I'd encourage everyone to take a moment and walk around down there, maybe try to support a local restaurant. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with what the residents show you.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post

I know you were trying to make a valid point in this but you're incorrect with that statement. That's not North Omaha at all, that's EAST Omaha.
Actually, that's not right either. East Omaha was once it's own town (Omaha's first annexation to be exact) and has fairly well designated boundaries.

From it's wiki page.

Quote:
East Omaha is roughly bounded by the Missouri River on the east, the Carter Lake and Carter Lake, Iowa on the south, and North Omaha to the west and north. There is one cliff that is the finite western boundaries of East Omaha, extending from Jaynes Street north to Reed Street. Bordering neighborhoods include Miller Park, Saratoga and Kountze Place.

Due to the ever changing nature of the Omaha metro area, recognition of the boundaries of East Omaha has fluctuated through the years. Early reports about East Omaha identified it closely with the Union Pacific Railroad yards just north of downtown. The boundary moved north over the years, and today is loosely fixed along Florence Boulevard to the west, the Missouri River to the east, the Omaha Public Power District Plant to the north, and Carter Lake, Iowa to the south.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:42 PM

76 posts, read 121,595 times
Quote:
I brought up North Omaha on Google maps. When I ran my mouse over the area it got mugged then shot. It's so hard moving around my computer with just the keyboard.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,101,521 times
Can pretty much everybody agree that this is the "North Omaha" that people generally talk about when they say stay away? I know for a fact that none of North Omaha is really that bad. That's my opinion though. But to an outsider, never having been in Omaha previously, they could drive through every square mile of Omaha, and probably come to the conclusion that this is the "nastier" area of town. Still, personally, having lived in Omaha all my life, I would be comfortable in any part of our town.
Untitled - Google Maps

Old 11-09-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Can pretty much everybody agree that this is the "North Omaha" that people generally talk about when they say stay away? I know for a fact that none of North Omaha is really that bad. That's my opinion though. But to an outsider, never having been in Omaha previously, they could drive through every square mile of Omaha, and probably come to the conclusion that this is the "nastier" area of town. Still, personally, having lived in Omaha all my life, I would be comfortable in any part of our town.
Untitled - Google Maps
That might be what people are thinking of, but it's not North Omaha.

Edit - I see the purple is supposed to be North Omaha. That's much better, but could still use some adjustment.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
I brought up North Omaha on Google maps. When I ran my mouse over the area it got mugged then shot. It's so hard moving around my computer with just the keyboard.
Nice joke bro, you should tell it at parties.

Now that I'm done being sarcastic, I'm guessing by your post that you haven't been to North Omaha, hence your argument is invalid.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post

I know you were trying to make a valid point in this but you're incorrect with that statement. That's not North Omaha at all, that's EAST Omaha. North Omaha is a part of it but just a small part, I'd also like to add that you'll find the most expensive homes in some parts of east Omaha.

I have family that lives in the North O and it's not as bad as some here think it is but it's not great either. You can expect to have your car broken into every couple of years and you will hear a fair share of crime related things.

It really depends on what your looking for. Do you want to live in the city and close to stuff, an old neighborhood. What's your budget? Do you want a big house or small one? If your willing to go to a smaller house you can find something in your budget in just about any area of town.
Actually, that boundary is Northeast Omaha. Everything east of 72nd is east Omaha. East Omaha (capital E) is what Bosco defined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or