U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM

736 posts, read 1,661,965 times

Advertisements

You think Omaha would learn a lesson with dead tree branches. About 2 months ago a child was killed on an Omaha sidewalk from a tree branch that had broken off, freak accident.

Check this out, 168th and Q streets, 09/25/10 this tree has been like for years and some day these limbs are going to fall down. YOu would think the City would take care of this or if it on private propery have the property owner sited for this.....................

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 11:19 PM

13,878 posts, read 19,043,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
YOu would think the City would take care of this or if it on private propery have the property owner sited for this...
They would, if the massive tax cuts under Hal Daub hadn't left the city with only one crew to handle dead trees, which now operates under a backlog of about 120 days.

We just saw what happened when Mayor Suttle had to raise taxes just to balance the budget. I doubt anyone will be receptive to further increase to expand manpower. That is, of course, until one of those trees kill someone they love.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:01 AM

816 posts, read 1,411,721 times
My understanding was it is marked to be removed. One problem is the residents in the area don't want the city to remove it! They see it as historic and want it preserved. Another problem is the backlog of trees to remove.
Just yet another example of people wanting something done, but not wanting to pay for it!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 AM

624 posts, read 1,100,125 times
I've always liked that tree. A tree that big and old in a suburb isn't something you come across every day. If they wanted it gone, that strip mall or whatever it is, whos property is it on, they would have gotten rid of it long ago. People must like it.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:16 AM

15,034 posts, read 13,313,399 times
Why not just trim the dead branches?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why not just trim the dead branches?
Thank You.

Here's a suggestion, start having the dead beat welfare people acctually work for thier FREE money.

We need street cleaners with brooms, dust pans, trash bags, weed pullers, tree limb cutters.

Now we could hire arborists to cut the trees down and have the grunt Welfarers load and stack wood.

You can even have DC inmates do work like this.

Think how much money the city can save and get some work done for the cash we don't have.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Thank You.

Here's a suggestion, start having the dead beat welfare people acctually work for thier FREE money.

We need street cleaners with brooms, dust pans, trash bags, weed pullers, tree limb cutters.

Now we could hire arborists to cut the trees down and have the grunt Welfarers load and stack wood.

You can even have DC inmates do work like this.

Think how much money the city can save and get some work done for the cash we don't have.
And then what happens to all the city workers who end up unemployed because we have welfare recipients and prisoners doing their job? Do they then go on Welfare? Where does the cycle end?

That idea is a double edge sword that simply replaces one problem with an even bigger one.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't just hand people chainsaws and tell them to go cut down branches or whole trees. It actually takes some time and training to be able to properly perform that kind of work. In fact, didn't we JUST have someone injured here recently as the result of someone not knowing what they were doing when they tried to cut down a tree?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And then what happens to all the city workers who end up unemployed because we have welfare recipients and prisoners doing their job? Do they then go on Welfare? Where does the cycle end?

That idea is a double edge sword that simply replaces one problem with an even bigger one.

Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't just hand people chainsaws and tell them to go cut down branches or whole trees. It actually takes some time and training to be able to properly perform that kind of work. In fact, didn't we JUST have someone injured here recently as the result of someone not knowing what they were doing when they tried to cut down a tree?
Oh pish-posh, typical liberal thinking.

Oh and yes that guy just put a chainsaw to a tree without even blocking off traffic and no planning.
We are not talking about that, we are talking about supervised work parties.

Remember the chaingangs, bring them back.

And if you going to put a saw in a criminals hand step back about 10 paces and train a 12 guage with 000 buck on him, he makes one wrong move "BANG" you just saved tax payers $50,000.00

Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Oh pish-posh, typical liberal thinking.

Oh and yes that guy just put a chainsaw to a tree without even blocking off traffic and no planning.
We are not talking about that, we are talking about supervised work parties.

Remember the chaingangs, bring them back.

And if you going to put a saw in a criminals hand step back about 10 paces and train a 12 guage with 000 buck on him, he makes one wrong move "BANG" you just saved tax payers $50,000.00
Way to deflect! I knew you weren't very bright to begin with, but this is sad even for you. Not that it had the slightest bit of relevancy to this thread, but just for the record I'm not a "liberal". I'm a left leaning moderate.

Anyways, you see, we ARE talking about those kinds of people. You want supervised work crews, but who is going to do the supervising? You still need a trained professional to do that. Even if you managed that, what do you do when that inevitable accident happens? Do you think having a trained supervisor on site is enough to protect you from a lawsuit? If so, I got some ocean front property to sell you.

You remember what chain gangs did? They did piddly **** like trimming weeds in medians and building retaining walls, not operating chain saws.

And you've refused to address my question of what you do with all the unemployed city workers who had their jobs taken by welfare recipients and prisoners. I can't wait to hear what logic you have for that one.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM

And you've refused to address my question of what you do with all the unemployed city workers who had their jobs taken by welfare recipients and prisoners. I can't wait to hear what logic you have for that one.

Oh Yeah here you go..........I think I will respond with a video....

YouTube - I Like Turtles Kid vs Dramatic Chipmunk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha