U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,570 times

Advertisements

Husker Train | Prairie Fire - The Progressive Voice of the Great Plains

by Matthew Roque

From the Article:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:28 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
Interesting read. I think it would be a pretty cool thing to have. If I were going to a game I would likely ride it. Although I'm not sure I would pay $30 per seat. Maybe $20 per seat.

With a pair of tickets already going for over $100 it starts to turn into the cost of a weekend vacation for a 4 hour event. When I drive I figure about $10 for gas and $15 for parking for 2 people. So I can justify $20 per seat, but not really $30.

Looks like a good plan. It would take several years of operation to pay off the loan though, so he better make darn sure his plan is rock solid for his financial sake. Also I'd be curious to know how he plans to make the loan payments during the off season? Just because the revenue stops coming in doesn't mean the bank stops wanting their money. That would be my major concern if I were him. He might go into more detail in the full plan. . I just read the overview.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,669,918 times
If they made enough for 8 home games it MIGHT get him through the year. In my mind, the only question would be if he had enough seats to handle everyone that would want to use it.

There's enough folks that commute between Omaha/Lincoln that they might be able to keep it running during the week and off-season as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM

306 posts, read 599,686 times
My initial thoughts are that I could see something like this fit in broader commuter train system between Omaha and Lincoln but outside of that, a dedicated train for Husker games seems far fetched.

The main hurdles in my view are efficiency and logistics. You are running trains on existing freight lines and considering that traffic, if the round trip takes too long, I don't think people are going to use a dedicated "Huskertrain." Plus, you have to get people from the train station to the stadium. That means you need to get Lincoln's public transportation system involved and they are already dedicating increased resources to shuttle people to the stadium from sites in Lincoln.

I-80 is just the most efficient way to get to Lincoln right now. If the goal is to get cars off the road and reduce congestion, stage busses might be a better idea.

Nonetheless, this is an interesting idea. But I think unless there is an efficient commuter line going from Omaha to Lincoln, I can't see this becoming a reality.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:17 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,138,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
My initial thoughts are that I could see something like this fit in broader commuter train system between Omaha and Lincoln but outside of that, a dedicated train for Husker games seems far fetched.
Sounds like they want to buy trains that are used and refurbish them and use existing UP or BNSF track between the two.

Quote:
The main hurdles in my view are efficiency and logistics. You are running trains on existing freight lines and considering that traffic, if the round trip takes too long, I don't think people are going to use a dedicated "Huskertrain." Plus, you have to get people from the train station to the stadium. That means you need to get Lincoln's public transportation system involved and they are already dedicating increased resources to shuttle people to the stadium from sites in Lincoln.
Seems like they want to entertain with food and drinks along the way adding to the "game day experience". Like they want to make it not just an express way to get to Lincoln, but a nice cruise to leave early, sit back relax and enjoy the ride. They also mentioned they can stop near Haymarket District, or even running the train over right next to the stadium, so public transport wouldn't be an issue.

It seems pretty well thought out especially if you get into the more detailed presentation.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post

The article suggested an off-loading site just North of the Stadium. You'd be able to walk to the game from the train, and back again.

This past summer I went to St. Louis to see a ballgame. My wife and kids and I got off the metro train at the stadium and then got back on again in the same spot--it was so nice not having to worry about driving downtown and finding parking.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:22 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,317,377 times
My state is getting rid of 200 cars and a full Electric fleet (450 cars ) in 2014 if you build and Electric line you can have them. Otherwise they'll be recycled. Utah , New Mexico , LA and Florida have all purchased some of them and Montreal.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,461,127 times
make the husker fans get their own transporation

we cant even get a non express (or even a express) Omaha metro bus route for northwest omaha (that runs 6 days a week)

or even have a non express (or even a express) route going down 72nd street from bergan mercy to shadow lake town centre down in papillion (that runs 6 days a week)

or even have a non express route between westroads and oakview mall (that runs 6 days a week)

Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
make the husker fans get their own transporation

we cant even get a non express (or even a express) Omaha metro bus route for northwest omaha (that runs 6 days a week)

or even have a non express (or even a express) route going down 72nd street from bergan mercy to shadow lake town centre down in papillion (that runs 6 days a week)

or even have a non express route between westroads and oakview mall (that runs 6 days a week)
That's kind of the idea--Husker fans will buy tickets and support the Husker Train.

Do you think that if the ridership was there to use a bus in NW Omaha they'd put one in? If not...why not?

Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 PM

306 posts, read 599,686 times
An express bus from Westroads to Oakview would make sense now considering the fact that businesses are flooding out of Oakview and moving out to the suburbs, subjecting the area to urban decay. Pretty soon the gangs and homeless will move in and they need a cheap, efficient form of transportation to and from Oakview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or