Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,595,382 times

Advertisements

Firefighters watch as home burns to the ground | WPSD Local 6 - News, Sports, Weather - Paducah KY | Local

$75 firefighter fee every year. Don't pay it? Firefighters come to your house, but don't put out the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

306 posts, read 711,709 times
Oh, but there are people who work in Omaha that live in other cities and don't pay taxes for Fire and Rescue services. They should be required to pay a fee for possibly needing their lives saved. It's only fair.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,462,242 times
That is insane.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:02 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,462,242 times
If I had the money I would get sprinklers in my house. By the time the firefighters get there to dump thousands of gallons of water on your burning things you don't have much left anyways. Everything is wet, burned, or black and smells like camping. Sprinklers can normally keep the damage to one room, using a lot less water.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,857,601 times
I live in a rural area and I pay a yearly fee for fire protection. It's a voluntary fire dept so ya kinda get what you pay for but I guess it's a peace of mind kind of thing. A little off topic but I have to say I've really started noticing how bad the roads in Omaha have become recently and the crime seems to be getting much worse.

I love Omaha. It is a city that still offers a small town atmosphere IMO. We come to the city at least once a month and spend 4 or 5 days. I'm not bashng, just posting my observations. I know that finances are bad everywhere. Hope the city turns around soon for all concerned.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

In terms of crime, Omaha is a big city and subsequently the police force for the most part has to be reactive, not proactive. That's why Sarpy County and its municipalities tend to have a lower crime rate, I think.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,595,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
Oh, but there are people who work in Omaha that live in other cities and don't pay taxes for Fire and Rescue services. They should be required to pay a fee for possibly needing their lives saved. It's only fair.
Does the Omaha Fire Dept come save their houses? As for Rescue services, if I need the EMT's services while I'm inside the city limits I don't have an issue being billed.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 PM

817 posts, read 1,762,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I live in a rural area and I pay a yearly fee for fire protection. It's a voluntary fire dept so ya kinda get what you pay for but I guess it's a peace of mind kind of thing. A little off topic but I have to say I've really started noticing how bad the roads in Omaha have become recently and the crime seems to be getting much worse.

I love Omaha. It is a city that still offers a small town atmosphere IMO. We come to the city at least once a month and spend 4 or 5 days. I'm not bashng, just posting my observations. I know that finances are bad everywhere. Hope the city turns around soon for all concerned.
The roads are bad, in places. Over the summer I broke 4 spokes and one axle on my bicycle along (more than the previous 2 years combined). In the last 2 months I have not had many problems though as the roads are in better shape now.

As for crime, I just don't think it is that bad. Most of the "crime" is isolated in a few pockets of town and as long as you avoid those pockets crime is rather low.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,975,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Does the Omaha Fire Dept come save their houses? As for Rescue services, if I need the EMT's services while I'm inside the city limits I don't have an issue being billed.
Omaha (both fire and police departments) routinely provide assistance to the suburban departments. Able 1 does so probably once or twice a month and Bellevue's formerly all-volunteer department had their hand held by OFD for many years.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Omaha (both fire and police departments) routinely provide assistance to the suburban departments. Able 1 does so probably once or twice a month and Bellevue's formerly all-volunteer department had their hand held by OFD for many years.
I was thinking about that. Omaha should levy a fee (not a tax) on surrounding municipalities that receive mutual aid from Omaha Fire and Police services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha