U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,757,406 times
Omaha TV News: Techmaginary

It may be cold outside, but in Omaha's TV newsrooms, idiotic gimmicks are in full bloom.

I guess wowt and to lesser extent ketv is ripping off Mike Kelly of the omaha world herald in the gimmick and cliche pushing department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,933,742 times
Pheaton, you called it, but it wasn't Mike Kelley this time.
1-11-11 baby born at 11:11 - Omaha.com

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
raphael, I saw that too. it was Michael O'Connor of OWH who took Kelly's gimmick before kelly could run with it.

btw: it isnt just Kelly who has dumbed down the paper. there are other reporters who seem to act like they work at a college paper than at a actual paper.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 AM

1,048 posts, read 1,258,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Highly predictible. I am also unable to resist adding these missed "1-pertunities"

The dad, Joe O'Connell - Also has 11 letters in it.
The hospital, Bergan Mercy - Also 11 letters.
The baby's weight, eight pounds - 11 letters.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Then you have stories like this: Daylight Lights On Interstate

Why? Just to stir up some crap? Talk about how the evil city leaves the lights on and wastes money, then at the very end say, "but they aren't metered so it's not costing anything".

Power plants connect to a grid. The grid we get power from interconnects with others around the country. Each section of the grid has a "pool" of power plants that add power to that section. For instance in this section of the grid, OPPD has a couple plants, NPPD has a couple, Mid America Power has a couple, and there are a few others in some of our neighboring states that are all "connected" in this pool.

In our area of the country the grid should always wayyyy more power than what is being used. Each company in the pool has their own coverage area, the ones that use more power in their area than they are producing have to buy the extra power they are using from the other companies. The companies that produce more power than they use get to sell the extra power to the companies not generating enough.

So if your power company isn't making more than their fair share, they have to buy it from other companies which is expensive. They would rather make more than they need so they can sell it.

Long story short. For these couple of light fixtures to remotely cost the city any more money they would have to be pulling enough juice to force the power company to have to start another power plant, or buy electricy from another company on the grid section.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM

after reading that story pheaton, I have one question

where's the sierra club on that story? wowt should talk to them cause I highly doubt they would think that is a good idea.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Well and I want to know what the expense would be for the city if they shut those lights off and then have to go there and clean up traffic accidents.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Omaha TV News: Observations

KETV has also decided to emulate its inferiors at WOWT by having anchors finish talking to a reporter in the field and then turn to the camera and tell viewers that "that was [insert name here], reporting live." Isn't Channel 7 above adopting such hackneyed habits?

my comment: I worry KETV is trying to dumb itself down like WOWT and the omaha world herald to some extent has been doing.

saying reporting live is almost annoying as saying Paint it Red, baby.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Status: "Never really know a killer from a savior..." (set 27 days ago)

10,569 posts, read 8,827,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Omaha TV News: Observations

KETV has also decided to emulate its inferiors at WOWT by having anchors finish talking to a reporter in the field and then turn to the camera and tell viewers that "that was [insert name here], reporting live." Isn't Channel 7 above adopting such hackneyed habits?

my comment: I worry KETV is trying to dumb itself down like WOWT and the omaha world herald to some extent has been doing.

saying reporting live is almost annoying as saying Paint it Red, baby.
Yeah, that **** is retarded. Same goes for the "7 Mobile Live" bull****.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM

what does everyone think of the constant "Weather Alert Day" reminders on KMTV 3.

somewhat informantive, somewhat annoying at times.

1 inch of snow, dont mean today is a "weather alert day"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha