Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,346 times

Advertisements

I understand the appeal of a house ... but why a yard? Seems to me like the only function of a yard is to have an excuse to get away from your kids on the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 PM

76 posts, read 142,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I understand the appeal of a house ... but why a yard? Seems to me like the only function of a yard is to have an excuse to get away from your kids on the weekend.
I like having my own area to not have to share or schedule around other people's time. I have to dogs and enjoy going out in the yard and playing with them. I enjoy having friends over for a cookout and whatever yard game we decide to play.....staying up till the wee hours drinking beers and BSing. I enjoy letting the kids run around in the back yard and play whenever they want to. So on and so forth.

Yes, you can do all those things at a park in an inner-city environment, but you almost always have to deal with other people's crap. Hope that there isn't some kids that come running up and jump on your dogs like it's their favorite toy, or moron dog owners who can't control their own dog as it gets into fights. The occasional band of punk kids cussing, smoking, or whatever in the park and couldn't give a rats booty that there is a little kid well within earshot. Then tell me to F OFF when I ask them to keep it down. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Frankly, far too much of society is "me-me-me" mixed with little to no consideration for other people.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
I guess people will have preferences as to which part of the city they will like, based upon their experiences. I've been an urban guy all my life and I've been trained to like it. When I think suburban, I often think "me, me me", though. The suburban life from my perspective, seems to be more isolated than in an urban setting. Pretty much, you, your family, your neighbors/friends, then your car. kind of like a click at a high school. In an urban setting you have more exposure to the public and people you don't already know, what with the walking, public parks, public transportation. Like watch ya like.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
So I had it backwards ... the purpose of a suburban yard is to get away from OTHER people's kids. Thanks for the clarity.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 AM

76 posts, read 142,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I guess people will have preferences as to which part of the city they will like, based upon their experiences. I've been an urban guy all my life and I've been trained to like it. When I think suburban, I often think "me, me me", though. The suburban life from my perspective, seems to be more isolated than in an urban setting. Pretty much, you, your family, your neighbors/friends, then your car. kind of like a click at a high school. In an urban setting you have more exposure to the public and people you don't already know, what with the walking, public parks, public transportation. Like watch ya like.
I wouldn't disagree with this too much. Suburban life provides a buffer from other people. Obviously that over simplifying it, but there ya go... And I'm not saying that only Urban residents have the "me, me, me" mentality...society in general does.

Quote:
So I had it backwards ... the purpose of a suburban yard is to get away from OTHER people's kids. Thanks for the clarity.
You're thinking too small..."other people's everything." (i.e. Dogs, kids, adults, language/cussing, attitudes, etc.)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
Some people think Omaha should be nothing but a suburb.. Those very people are terribly misinformed about how large cities work for the long haul and that being a big suburban style city for too long will create an effect that is even worse than what Detroit is seeing.

Cities die if they do not have an efficient core.. for those that don't care to understand how things work, just understand this..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:03 PM

But what if everyone in the "core" is so badly behaved no one wants to be around them, as Mr. Weston pointed out?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:50 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Some people think Omaha should be nothing but a suburb.. Those very people are terribly misinformed about how large cities work for the long haul and that being a big suburban style city for too long will create an effect that is even worse than what Detroit is seeing.

Cities die if they do not have an efficient core.. for those that don't care to understand how things work, just understand this..
I've seen a lot of nonsense posted here, but this one has got to rank up there in the top percentile of utter rubbish.

Add the insulting jabs "people are terribly misinformed" and "for those that don't care to understand how things work" and you have have a troll post if there ever was one.

Not that I'm telling informed people anything they can't see for themselves.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM

624 posts, read 1,309,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've seen a lot of nonsense posted here, but this one has got to rank up there in the top percentile of utter rubbish.

Add the insulting jabs "people are terribly misinformed" and "for those that don't care to understand how things work" and you have have a troll post if there ever was one.

Not that I'm telling informed people anything they can't see for themselves.

Well, he is correct about what happens with a big city without a stable core, none the less.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:31 PM

CrownVic95, which group do you belong in? The "I'm annoyed by everyone and want my own space" or the "core" group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha