U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM

736 posts, read 1,668,609 times

Advertisements

How? omaha is a much larger city. When looking at an area it is often wise to place a business in the largest city in the area, and that would be omaha.

What? Bigger is not better.

Some parts of north Omaha should be avoided, but many parts are rather nice. Also south Omaha has a moderate to low crime rate. I have lived there all my life and have never felt unsafe. My neighborhood has a safety rating of 47 out of 100 and the next block north is ranked 59! Sure west Omaha is safer, but it is farther away from the core of the city and it's many services. Lastly the same site lists many places in Lincoln as unsafe (less than 10 / 100), just as omaha.

We are talking about a trucking business, can he set up in your backyard? Neighborhoods do not apply in this thread unless the thugs that live a few blocks away spray graffiti all over your trailers or try to steal from you.

High? relative to what? I talk to people all the time that have recently moved here and they can't believe how low the taxes are.

Try plating multiple trucks and trailers. Heck just the wheel tax alone on a second car, harley, motorhome, and the kids cars is crazy.

and that is 28 minutes one way wasted that could have been saved by locating in omaha in the first place, not to mention the gas and added wear on the vehicles.

Not really I go to Lincoln once a week a make pretty good sales and growing. Thinking about adding another day. Plus I love the tax deductions on the gas, wear and tear on the hummer. 28 minutes of money making fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM

624 posts, read 1,105,276 times
Untitled - Google Maps

Here is a map of basically the unsafe areas. I say that with sarcasm because really, they aren't that bad. It's not like all the people that live in these areas are rotten people, these areas are just the places that most of the people involved in gangs and drugs have set up shop, I believe more so North Omaha than South Omaha. With that said, yes, a lot of people will tell you to STAY AWAY from these areas. Just those people, for some reason seem to be affraid they are going to get car jacked or shot. PLEASE. I'm totally comfortable riding a bus through North Omaha at night if that tells you anything and there, I am a part of the minority. If I were going to set up a trucking business, I would totally feel absolutely comfortable being there. North Omaha doesn't really have much room for a business like that anyway, so you should have absolutely no worries about crime in Omaha for your business. South Omaha isn't even bad enough to be worth talking about being bad. The only thing that may make you feel a little out of place, though, is that a high percentage of North Omaha is African American, and a high percentage of South Omaha is Hispanic, but whatever. Okay, I'm done defending Eastern Omaha. Really, all of Omaha should be okay to you, safety wise. There are only so many places to build a trucking company in Omaha, none of which you should be concerned about your safety. I'll let the other guys talk about politics and all the other stuff.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:05 PM

688 posts, read 1,060,989 times
You should check it out for yourself!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 PM

906 posts, read 1,538,972 times
If you do relocate to anywhere in Omaha, be prepared to build a very tall fence. I think someone else said it, but you will get all your trucks graffitied. I agree with marska, check it out for yourself and see all the problems. But you'll want to have your windows up because of the cigarette pollution.

Or move to West O and spend your life in a car.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM

216 posts, read 689,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I've heard this logic a lot in Omaha. But the truth is that not being around a large body of water means there is no moderation in Nebraska. That's why we see -20 degrees in the winter and 100+ in the summer. Tornados, hail, highly uncomfortable winds, etc. Yes, the cost of living is higher near water, but most people who live there claim it is worth the cost.
Don't count Omaha out, we got the winding Missouri River on the East. and Lake McConaughy way out West.
We've had our share of tornado's too, like this one back in 1975

And this video from the good news channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDcrl2Rfz4

A horrible blizzard that year too, I have the special edition newspapers from both events.

Last edited by SandmanSand; 10-19-2010 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,135,926 times
Run for your lives!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM

25 posts, read 61,840 times
Call bull**** all you want.

Im not saying I would base my business prospects soley on what a few people on some message board says.....of course Ive looked at figures that directly impact my business.

That being said, my specific trucking business (moving and storage) is directly connected to population growth, economic stability, housing growth (or in this time recovery), median family incom and many other related factors.

I havent made any decisions yet and Im considering several cities at this point. I have to narrow it down to 3-4 final locations before I actually start traveling and scouting areas.....otherwise Id spends thousands just to scout locations.

With all that being said, the biggest issue is my wife. I dont know if you guys follow the tenent of "happy wife, happy life" but Ive fought that battle before and I know how it ends.

If my wife percieves that a city is beat up and unsafe, if she feels uncomfortable.....all bets are off.

Im just trying to save some money and legwork and do some research before I start traveling.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 AM

736 posts, read 1,668,609 times
Watch for the NOrth O tOrnadO's they are the worst.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:48 AM

77 posts, read 150,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post
In any case Omaha was in my top three considerations until I started reading these forums.

The complaints about crime, gang bangers and entire malls being shut down due to hood rats and thugs, crooked politicians, high taxes and a poor economy has me thinking elsewhere might be a better choice.
Wait, are you describing Omaha or Chicago? Heh. Perhaps living in Kansas City and Chicago the last 10 years has made me jaded to things like crime, crooked politicians, and poor economies, but in my mind, those are not things I would normally associate with Omaha.

Sure, all large cities have some element of crime and gang life, but growing up in Omaha, I never felt unsafe. Heck, I even had an internship one summer at 24th and Lake and look...I'm still alive.

I tell people that want to move to Chicago the same thing about violent crime: most of it is drug or gang related and unless you are involved in drugs and/or gang life, most likely you will not be affected. Especially in a spread-out/segregated city like Omaha.

As for the crooked politicians, I don't really know what to say...again, I live in Chicago now, the home of crooked politicians and I've never once heard that as a stereotype about Omaha. However if you're very liberal, the politicians in Omaha and Nebraska might not be your cup of tea...

In terms of the economy, Omaha has been on dozens of lists recently as a place with low unemployment and a good place to relocate in this economy, so I don't know where you've heard that Omaha's economy is terrible. From what I've heard, it seems to be the opposite.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,500,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post

"happy wife, happy life"

Well then you with need to give your list of cities and let her pick.

and take her with on scouting cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or