U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:27 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,690,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Rezfreak, have you ever been downtown in the last 26 years? The smog is located in the city, and it's most definitely there. In my opinion, it's a mix of smog and cigarette smoke, but the haze could be from the car exhaust and the smell could be from the cigarette smoke.
Yes, I lived in Bellevue, I was in the old market a lot. I also worked down on 13th and Jackson for 2.5 years.

I think your idea of "smog" is a bit off. Omaha does not have smog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 06:46 AM

920 posts, read 1,729,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Yes, I lived in Bellevue, I was in the old market a lot. I also worked down on 13th and Jackson for 2.5 years.

I think your idea of "smog" is a bit off. Omaha does not have smog.
?? This one I'm having a hard time figuring out- I lived in a place for years that did have smog, and it also had tule fog during the years where it actually had rain- I've seen both the fog and the smog, and you see the smog much more when it is hot- fog dissipates when the sun shines for a while, it burns off- do you really believe that it's fog when the sun is shining, and there's still a haze all over the place? It's smog. And it shouldn't be surprising, this is quite a large town and there are a lot of industries as well as vehicle traffic that chugs things into the air- I don't understand some of the people on here who insist that "smog doesn't exist in Omaha"- sure it does-

Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 AM

816 posts, read 1,418,746 times
It is not smog. What you are seeing is called haze caused by humidity and sometimes local brush fires.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM

624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
When it fogs, I see the fog, when it's not foggy, I see nothing. I really don't ever see any haze. I don't know if the humidity haze you guys are talking about ever really happens, or if it is more of a defense to Omaha's purity, one that's a better argument than just saying "Omaha doesn't have smog." The only haze I ever see in Omaha is fog, period and that's it. No smog.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
?? This one I'm having a hard time figuring out- I lived in a place for years that did have smog, and it also had tule fog during the years where it actually had rain- I've seen both the fog and the smog, and you see the smog much more when it is hot- fog dissipates when the sun shines for a while, it burns off- do you really believe that it's fog when the sun is shining, and there's still a haze all over the place? It's smog. And it shouldn't be surprising, this is quite a large town and there are a lot of industries as well as vehicle traffic that chugs things into the air- I don't understand some of the people on here who insist that "smog doesn't exist in Omaha"- sure it does-
And I'm having a hard time figuring out how what you think is smog is that. I've never seen a "haze" when the sun is out.

I'm still on the "smog doesnt exist" boat, you're not going to convince me otherwise.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:24 PM

624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post

Are you trying to be really technical or something? Like saying "If there's cars, there's smog." I could agree that where there are cars, there are emissions, no matter how many. You have one car, you have emissions, no doubt. But to have smog, you have to have enough emissions to make them concentrated enough to become visible. Did I forget the fog? Sunlight? If you have all of these factors together, then you have smog. I just simply believe that Omaha doesn't have enough cars in a compact enough area to produce enough emissions to become visible and make smog. Oh, I also forgot that I believe what my eyes see, and when they see nothing, then it must not be there.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:42 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,408,203 times
This has got to be a joke - Omaha a beat-up city full of crime?? Omaha is an incredibly clean little city.. normal, upscale suburbia and a cute little 'funky'/'artsy' downtown (and tons and tons of cool shopping and dining in both). And 'smog'??? Run-down, beat-up-looking? Perhaps you should share with us where you're coming FROM, so we can have a better idea of your geographic perspective/paradigm. I have a feeling this thread is being over-run with trolls from towns of 100 people in western Nebraska. My sister went to college at the University of Nebraska-Kearney (then called Kearney State College), and I don't recall the skies looking any different out there in the middle of the state than they did in Omaha - gorgeous and brilliant (almost 'dark') blue, like you won't see anywhere except out West. And Omaha/Nebraska winters may be COLD, but they're very, very often SUNNY, with a brilliant crispness that reflects off the snow (the same sort of 'sunny snow' effect you'll get in, say, the Rockies). Missouri and Virginia winters (and to a lesser extent Chicago winters) are totally different... mostly overcast and just kind of depressing. (I mention those specific locales because they're places I've lived since my childhood in Omaha.)

Oh, and this reminds me of a handful of posters over in the Missouri sub-forum that were scaring people off from visiting Columbia - a TOTALLY safe and cute little college city where I used to ride my bike (as recently as '05) at 3:00 a.m. in the summer. Then those few weirdo 'you-will-get-murdered-if-you-set-foot-in-Columbia' posters (who were all from teeny, tiny dot-on-the-map towns in MO) randomly stopped posting, and now Columbia is all awesome and being celebrated as one of Forbes and/or Money magazine's best small cities (yet again!) in any new threads about it. Take ANYTHING you read on City-Data with a grain of salt... no, make that a fifty-ton TRUCK of salt.. (Get it, truck of salt, you're interested in starting a trucking business.. heh heh heh.)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,833,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
It is not smog. What you are seeing is called haze caused by humidity and sometimes local brush fires.
NO! NO! NO! We don't get fog or haze in Omaha! Those are from cigarette smokers

Old 10-28-2010, 05:55 PM

816 posts, read 1,418,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
NO! NO! NO! We don't get fog or haze in Omaha! Those are from cigarette smokers
Ya, Ya, I forgot about those bloody smokers. I guess the next 90 day we have with high humidity and I can't see more than about a mile I should blame the smokers! Start whacking them in the head for creating all that smoke. Ya, right.

(I got your sarcasm, did you get mine )

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM

906 posts, read 1,536,824 times
I guess if you ignore the problems and deny they exist, maybe they will go away on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or