Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 PM

306 posts, read 711,433 times

Advertisements

Omaha like any big city has its share of crime but for the most part, it's a safe place to live. There's a Wikipedia article discussing the topic if you want to look into it: Crime in Omaha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

You need to remember also that people typically don't go on message boards to gleefully proclaim about how great life is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM

817 posts, read 1,761,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
Omaha like any big city has its share of crime but for the most part, it's a safe place to live. There's a Wikipedia article discussing the topic if you want to look into it: Crime in Omaha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

You need to remember also that people typically don't go on message boards to gleefully proclaim about how great life is.
Very well written article. Also shows that overall omaha is getting better about crime, unlike what people on ketv and wowt's forums would have you believe.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,872 times
The Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce has a reasonably good economic development website at <a href="http://www.selectgreateromaha.com">Select Greater Omaha</a>, and you may find some useful information about the city there. My experience has been that staff at the Chamber are happy to respond to questions. Of course, their interest is encouraging you to locate a business here, but you can usually check their marketing hype against other information resources. Overall, Omaha remains a solid business prospect even in a down national economy.

In terms of statistics (the standard index being the FBI's number of crimes of per 100,000 residents), Omaha is actually a relatively low crime city. Violent crime is largely concentrated in one quadrant (northeast) and can be associated with the same social, economic, and cultural sources which afflict numerous American cities. The three to five per cent of the population which ensures we shall always have police and sheriff departments sometimes seems concentrated in the northeast quadrant, but we forget that even there the criminals constitute a very small proportion of the residents.

I have lived in Omaha for eighteen years and I have never felt unsafe, but I take care to be mindful of my surroundings. I came from southern California (Los Angeles/Orange County area), and Omaha has always struck me as a better place to live, and safer.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:24 PM

906 posts, read 1,803,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
If you live north the winters are brutal, if you live south the summers are brutal. At least we are inbetween where the really hot and cold days only last for a month, maybe 2 before they start turning around.
I've heard this logic a lot in Omaha. But the truth is that not being around a large body of water means there is no moderation in Nebraska. That's why we see -20 degrees in the winter and 100+ in the summer. Tornados, hail, highly uncomfortable winds, etc. Yes, the cost of living is higher near water, but most people who live there claim it is worth the cost.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 PM

906 posts, read 1,803,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
The things people really complain about is public transportation, the city not wanting to invest money to spruce up ran down areas, or try to counter the homeless issues. The city likes to spend money on creating a high standard of living that some contest is unsustainable. Their spending has gotten them into trouble now and they are currently trying to bleed tax money out of the people, which has us pretty ticked off.
Well said. All 3 of these issues need major improvement if Omaha wants to attract anybody to move here voluntarily.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,965,482 times
I have to call bull**** on this. No legitimate business man is going to make his decisions based on the opinions of people on an internet forum. They would be looking up legit, verifiable facts that would show that your worries are completely unfounded.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM

48 posts, read 103,377 times
Have to agree with Bosco here. I have lived in quite a few cities and enjoy these city-data forums; but, let's face it, they are really just complaint forums full of inaccurate information and subjectivity. I don't think there is a single city with a city-data forum that paints a pleasant picture of the town.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:14 PM

737 posts, read 1,908,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post
I am in the process of considering where I am going to open my new business.....trucking related.

In any case Omaha was in my top three considerations until I started reading these forums.

The complaints about crime, gang bangers and entire malls being shut down due to hood rats and thugs, crooked politicians, high taxes and a poor economy has me thinking elsewhere might be a better choice.

Whats the real deal....is Omaha nothing but a mid west Los Angeles or are the accounts here a bit exagerated?

Here we go.............

After reading all the posts Lincoln,NE does seem to a better place for locating a trucking company. Even if your into repair, terminal dispatch or storage.

Omaha's political weather is very stormy right now and the future forecast looks very bleek.
Taxes are high......just think of all the rigs and trailers you will have to plate. The wheel tax will get you on top of the normal taxes.

Crime in Omaha is really not bad, just stay away from North Omaha and South Omaha.... West Omaha is ideal. Yu will still need to have a fenced yard and lights recomended.

The thing about west Omaha is the traffic and lack of exits to the major roads. There is two major exits off the interstate to a west O location 144th street (exit 442) and HWY 370 (exit 443) these two exits are already conjested as is, and when bad weather rolls in they get even worse, not to mention if there is a crash near by.

It's exaclly 28 minutes from 144th street to Lincoln doing 75 MPH t to HWY 6 Waverly, NE exit.

Lincoln on the other hand is a great place you don't have the political BS, you can find a location near the interstate that is never conjested and lincoln just upgraded all the I-80 lanes to 3 lanes....it's nice. Truckers need to get on and off the interstate with as little to no trouble at all.

Omaha...................be very scared.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM

817 posts, read 1,761,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
After reading all the posts Lincoln,NE does seem to a better place for locating a trucking company. Even if your into repair, terminal dispatch or storage.
How? omaha is a much larger city. When looking at an area it is often wise to place a business in the largest city in the area, and that would be omaha.
[LEFT]
Quote:
Omaha's political weather is very stormy right now and the future forecast looks very bleek.
As is the political environment in nearly every city/state, thats politics. Right now omaha simply has a problem with a few crybabies that wanted another mayor in office and see this as a way to overturn the election. They fail to see any mayor would have made similar decisions as suttle has. And for the record again, I did not and would never vote for suttle.

Quote:
Taxes are high......just think of all the rigs and trailers you will have to plate. The wheel tax will get you on top of the normal taxes.
High? relative to what? I talk to people all the time that have recently moved here and they can't believe how low the taxes are.

Quote:
Crime in Omaha is really not bad, just stay away from North Omaha and South Omaha.... West Omaha is ideal. Yu will still need to have a fenced yard and lights recomended.
Some parts of north Omaha should be avoided, but many parts are rather nice. Also south Omaha has a moderate to low crime rate. I have lived there all my life and have never felt unsafe. My neighborhood has a safety rating of 47 out of 100 and the next block north is ranked 59! Sure west Omaha is safer, but it is farther away from the core of the city and it's many services. Lastly the same site lists many places in Lincoln as unsafe (less than 10 / 100), just as omaha.

Quote:
It's exaclly 28 minutes from 144th street to Lincoln doing 75 MPH t to HWY 6 Waverly, NE exit.
and that is 28 minutes one way wasted that could have been saved by locating in omaha in the first place, not to mention the gas and added wear on the vehicles.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:15 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,730,877 times
LOL yeah. Omaha is all gangs and violence. That's good stuff. HA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha