Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,545,403 times

Advertisements

Mercury not malicious, OPS says
By Julie Anderson
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Curiosity, not malice, apparently prompted a Burke High School student to bring mercury to school late last week and pour it into a drinking fountain, a school district official said Monday.

School officials still are investigating the incident, said Luanne Nelson, a spokeswoman for the Omaha Public Schools.

But it appears one student was involved. The school will enforce the district’s student code of conduct, but the discipline will depend on what officials find in their investigation.

“It doesn’t appear to be a malicious act, more of a curiosity,” she said.

Nonetheless, officials closed the school Friday afternoon. At least nine students and three adults were taken to a hospital, where they were released after showing no symptoms of mercury poisoning.

more... Mercury not malicious, OPS says - Omaha.com

Burke High School*-*Class Reunion Websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Mercury is actually really dangerous.

Frequently Asked Questions about Mercury - Minnesota Pollution Control Agency

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 AM

76 posts, read 142,469 times
WTF? I'm sure a student in high school is fully aware of how dangerous mercury can be. Certainly "testing" it in a drinking fountain is not the best way to satisfy one's curiosity.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
WTF? I'm sure a student in high school is fully aware of how dangerous mercury can be. Certainly "testing" it in a drinking fountain is not the best way to satisfy one's curiosity.
I agree

and like I have said before:

Luanne Nelson and the OPS board need to have some new faces cause the OPS board and Nelson are incomptent to say the least(and possibly stupid)

btw: Morrissey and Borer and Jensen and Huston and Gray and Drickey who need to go from the OPS board are up for re-election in 2012

(hint, hint to people who live in their represented districts who are fed up with OPS board)

thankfully we will have 1-3 new board members next week

Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
The kid probably thought it would be safe if it went down the drain..

I don't think it's up to Billiefan to assume the kids intent was of malice when:
1) Doesn't even know the kid
2) Never was a part of the ongoing investigation
3) Works for OPS

But hey, Billiefan has the right to assume the kid should be torched as nothing is ever right about this place

Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
The kid probably thought it would be safe if it went down the drain..

I don't think it's up to Billiefan to assume the kids intent was of malice when:
1) Doesn't even know the kid
2) Never was a part of the ongoing investigation
3) Works for OPS

But hey, Billiefan has the right to assume the kid should be torched as nothing is ever right about this place

I said the kid should be punished, you are trying to Imply I am being harsh and cruel at calling the kid to be repremanded.

btw: OPS does do some good things and I btw am a Omaha North grad and proud of it.

I am just saying prank or not, the kid shouldnt get a free pass for his actions. if he gets a free pass, it will send the wrong message to others who may become embolden to try even more dangerous pranks at school.

and for Nelson to say that mercury in the water is harmless, she obviously is either ignorant or being deceitful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: