U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2010, 03:57 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,418,746 times
Reputation: 228

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Anybody have an idea of who I could contact, and how I could contact them about this? I mean city planners, big shots, Mayor, etc. I'm not sure who would be interested to see this or who would just blow it off. I would think Suttle would be interested in it, but I don't know if i can, or how I can contact him directly. Anybody have any ideas?
There is the upcoming transportation meeting on the 15th you could attend. I am sure someone would be interested in your ideas.
Calendar | Event detail :: Cycling Transportation Public Meeting (http://www.omahatrails.com/index.php?option=com_simplecalendar&view=detail&id =108:cycling-transportation-public-meeting - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Reputation: 147
^ I should have gone to that.
Here I thought of a station identifyer to put up at every station, so they're pretty visible around some trees and anything that might obstruct view of the station.

Metrolink in St Louis has something similar and that's where I've gotten the idea from

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPsQhCnVs__K3yn4gKKDHU4l-g-DM1Myx9XbT8yiQSWu8Dl6-PCmGvbAsJBw (broken link)






Here's mine down there. For materials, I was thinking 2" stainless steel tube with a matte finish, and acrylic inserts for the Metro panel and the station name panel below.
Attached Thumbnails
Omaha Light Rail Preliminary and Future Plans-station-locator.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:57 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Reputation: 147
I've also added more detail to the red route here, check it out.

Bellevue Metro Rail Detail - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Reputation: 147
For the Omaha Transportation Master Plan, I've submitted these maps. Hopefully they will take these seriously and we can soon start reserving and obtaining land for stations and right of way in anticipation for building them when we're ready to start.

Rail Transit Master Plan: Omaha Rail Transit Master Plan - Google Maps
Commuter Rail: Omaha Commuter Rail - Google Maps
Dodge Light Rail: Dodge Street Light Rail - Google Maps
Bellevue Light Rail: Bellevue Light Rail - Google Maps
72nd Street Light Rail: 72nd Street Light Rail - Google Maps
144th Street Light Rail: 144th Street Light Rail - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times
Reputation: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
For the Omaha Transportation Master Plan, I've submitted these maps. Hopefully they will take these seriously and we can soon start reserving and obtaining land for stations and right of way in anticipation for building them when we're ready to start.

Rail Transit Master Plan: Omaha Rail Transit Master Plan - Google Maps
Commuter Rail: Omaha Commuter Rail - Google Maps
Dodge Light Rail: Dodge Street Light Rail - Google Maps
Bellevue Light Rail: Bellevue Light Rail - Google Maps
72nd Street Light Rail: 72nd Street Light Rail - Google Maps
144th Street Light Rail: 144th Street Light Rail - Google Maps
************************************************** ****
From Lincoln to Omaha it would seem logical to use the median of I-80 to locate the track instead of buying up new R.O.W. However when the real goal in these projects is really to enrich friends and family of the movers and shakers LOGIC goes out the window.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
************************************************** ****
From Lincoln to Omaha it would seem logical to use the median of I-80 to locate the track instead of buying up new R.O.W. However when the real goal in these projects is really to enrich friends and family of the movers and shakers LOGIC goes out the window.

GL2
What is illogical about using existing tracks? It would be much more expensive to build totally new tracks as well as making the land strong enough to hold a huge train. Also, if you use up the median, you will have to make the interstate wider to make a new median, requiring some bridges to be torn down and made longer to accomidate the wider interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,418,746 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
************************************************** ****
From Lincoln to Omaha it would seem logical to use the median of I-80 to locate the track instead of buying up new R.O.W. However when the real goal in these projects is really to enrich friends and family of the movers and shakers LOGIC goes out the window.

GL2
Your forgetting about the bridges over the interstate. You can't run rail down the median there because they use the median for support pillars. No, the suggested plan would works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
1,225 posts, read 1,815,721 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
For the Omaha Transportation Master Plan, I've submitted these maps. Hopefully they will take these seriously and we can soon start reserving and obtaining land for stations and right of way in anticipation for building them when we're ready to start.

Rail Transit Master Plan: Omaha Rail Transit Master Plan - Google Maps
Commuter Rail: Omaha Commuter Rail - Google Maps
Dodge Light Rail: Dodge Street Light Rail - Google Maps
Bellevue Light Rail: Bellevue Light Rail - Google Maps
72nd Street Light Rail: 72nd Street Light Rail - Google Maps
144th Street Light Rail: 144th Street Light Rail - Google Maps
Great stuff. It looks like maybe 50 miles total(not including the Lincoln line) which would be about what Denver will have in 5 years. Talk about ambitious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
 
624 posts, read 1,103,924 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Great stuff. It looks like maybe 50 miles total(not including the Lincoln line) which would be about what Denver will have in 5 years. Talk about ambitious
Ya never know. Omaha could be in fifty years what Denver will be in five. In the long term, we should want a system of this capacity, and to prevent future hang ups, we should plan for it to be built-out no matter how far off a system like this would be. In my lifetime, I wouldn't count on anything more than the Downtown and Midtown streetcar, Dodge and Bellevue Light rail and the Lincoln Commuter Rail line. I'd be more than happy with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times
Reputation: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
What is illogical about using existing tracks? It would be much more expensive to build totally new tracks as well as making the land strong enough to hold a huge train. Also, if you use up the median, you will have to make the interstate wider to make a new median, requiring some bridges to be torn down and made longer to accommodate the wider interstate.
When you say commuter train you are not talking mile and a half long coal trains weighing 300,000# each. Mag Lev trains can operate at high speeds and can be built on elevated tracks. The support pillars for these trains have a very small footprint. The biggest percentage of any project like this is cutting through all the red tape and buying up R.O.W. Actual construction costs of a Mag Lev type system would probably be less expensive than any other system. Wind powered generators could be built close by to power the system.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top