U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 AM

624 posts, read 1,101,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
When you say commuter train you are not talking mile and a half long coal trains weighing 300,000# each. Mag Lev trains can operate at high speeds and can be built on elevated tracks. The support pillars for these trains have a very small footprint. The biggest percentage of any project like this is cutting through all the red tape and buying up R.O.W. Actual construction costs of a Mag Lev type system would probably be less expensive than any other system. Wind powered generators could be built close by to power the system.

GL2
As much as I'd love it, Mag lev trains is a reallyy lofty dream for us. If we were to do it the way I specified, no ROW would need to be purchased and only the stations, maintainence shop and a few miles of track would need to be built and just two locomotive would be purchased initially. There would need to be an agreement between the operator and BNSF, which, Warren Buffett being the owner, I'm sure wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

57 posts, read 93,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Your forgetting about the bridges over the interstate. You can't run rail down the median there because they use the median for support pillars. No, the suggested plan would works best.
There should be a way around that...is it possible to raise a rail line over the overpasses? I think it is, but it would probably be too expensive.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 12,021 times
Great map and some exceptional ideas. I do believe in the East West routes that you have drawn up, and the Eppley to Offutt is a "no-brainer". Honestly it is surprising that there is not much infrastructure in place currently for future rail plans.

With the geographic size of Omaha and now with more recent talks of increasing that, I do believe that Omaha needs this infrastructure to be in place. Either starting the construction of usable facilities/lines, or getting the proper zoning/routes in place for future construction, this needs to be done now.

Good work! I am not sure if you have looked at the following documents, if you have then this may be some good reads for other members. It may also help in influencing your routes to meet the intended "user/voter" on some of the master North/South routes.

Omaha Master Plan - http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/planning/u..._2-16-2011.pdf
Omaha Master Plan - Transportation Element - http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/planning/u...%20Element.pdf
Omaha Master Plan - LandUse Element - http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/planning/u...ent2-28-11.pdf

In my opinion a city of this geographic size leaves something to be desired in it's public transportation system. People do love there cars here, but there really isn't a great alternative, than to provide your own. Nothing against the current bus system, but a 160 block bus ride to work that may or may not leave me stranded in the event I end up working past 6:30 at night is not something I would be pursuing. Furthermore, I would be downtown or in certain areas of Omaha several times a week in the evening if some of the express routes stayed operational past 7pm. Again in my opinion I believe this also leads to the higher rate of dui to licensed driver rate of Omaha, which is unsafe, costly in so many ways, etc...

Not being from Omaha, I preferred public transportation elsewhere, here I prefer my car. There is a surprisingly large amount of population coming into Omaha that I believe feels the same way and probably surprised at the extra burdens of vehicle ownership in Omaha (taxes, etc).

Old 12-25-2011, 04:38 PM

I was milling around Downtown Council Bluffs today, and with the city looking for more activity downtown, as well as the layout, I was thinking it'd be a great candidate for a streetcar route. I decided to make this map of what I believe would be a great stimulus to downtown Council Bluffs.

Council Bluffs Streetcar - Google Maps

Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,231,943 times
Whenever Halley's Comet makes a comeback, light rail may actually make sense in Omaha.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Whenever Halley's Comet makes a comeback, light rail may actually make sense in Omaha.
I hope you realize I don't care what you particularly have to say.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:48 AM

220 posts, read 254,917 times
Though I'd love to see a Light Rail System in Omaha, I don't think it's feasible. We're not a large enough metro area.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 AM

There is one city I know that is smaller and has light rail, which is Norfolk Virginia. But there are many cities much smaller than Omaha that have streetcars. Omaha did have one of the most comprehensive streetcar systems in america, so our denser areas are still situated where these routes used to run. I believe that a Downtown Omaha streetcar isn't far-fetched at all. We could really use a loop to connect the Old Market, 16th Street, the core and North Downtown. When we would get that, demand for more routes would rise, so we could simply run routes on select portions of what the streetcars used to run. This would drive Omaha to redevelop those areas to be more dense and more attractive, which eventually would stimulate cinsideration for a larger light rail system. I'd say that first streetcar route will be here in about five years, then after that things will happen pretty fast so hopefully around 2030, we will be ready for some light rail. More importantly right now, though, is just to plan for all of these things. We won't want to develop areas that would be ideal for a future light rail route.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Here is the downtown circulator streetcar. It starts on the Creighton campus, then goes counter-clockwise around the loop. It's a 15 minute route. 10 minutes after the first, the second leaves Creighton and goes around the loop clockwise.

Downtown Streetcar Phase I - Google Maps

Here is a masterplan map
http://g.co/maps/e224y

Last edited by Busguy2010; 12-26-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,810,884 times
I think we are going to get a midtown/downtown route before a downtown circulator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or