Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
It is kind of amusing how many big dollar companies are in Omaha, yet no one volunteers to help either raise funds or fund certain projects Omaha could really use.

But a lot of them do a lot of good too, so it's not like nothing gets done.
Mutual of Omaha specifically has done us some good. They funded Midtown Crossing which I think was the first major infill project here. I believe they planted the seed for urban design guidelines in Omaha and they are at least partly why we've had so much more investment in our core lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 PM

142 posts, read 289,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Mutual of Omaha specifically has done us some good. They funded Midtown Crossing which I think was the first major infill project here. I believe they planted the seed for urban design guidelines in Omaha and they are at least partly why we've had so much more investment in our core lately.

Yeah. I agree.

There is enough money in Omaha that many problems could be eliminated or greatly reduced within a few years.

Crime, unemployment, and etc.

Unfrotunately, with a capitalistic society, it's not expected people with means help their city or neighborhood even.

Luckily, as you point out, there are some trying.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:12 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
IMO there is a definite need for a light rail system from Omaha to Lincoln- but Nebraskans LOVE their cars! There just is not a "Public Transportation" mentality- hmmm...might make for a good poll....
If you're totally dependent on a car, if you're totally dependent on another human being, how can that be termed Love? I'll accept love/hate, but not Love! That love comes to a crashing end, the minute you get an expensive traffic fine, you're involved in an accident, or your mechanic gives you a $1500 estimate and you don't have the money to fix it!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:15 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
That love comes to a crashing end, the minute you get an expensive traffic fine, you're involved in an accident, or your mechanic gives you a $1500 estimate and you don't have the money to fix it!
The amount of fees and inconveniences people will overlook in the name of having a car is endless.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:55 PM

142 posts, read 289,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
The amount of fees and inconveniences people will overlook in the name of having a car is endless.

Freedom to drive anywhere and everywhere you want, leave when you want to, go for a nice drive day or night all completely out weigh those negatives.

For me anyway.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
A mountainmen post I agree with 100% .

Omaha is a GREAT example of this. Every time we spend big bucks on road improvements people cheer. But the second we talk about spending even 1% of that amount of cash on transportation alternatives those in love with their car start crying. And yes, they ARE in love with their cars. I have seen people use their car to go one block. THAT is love.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,432 times
I've thought about this from time to time and eventually got bored one day and started planning out routes in Omaha. I thought about heavy and light rail and a combination of the two. I posted them on my blog:

Concepts & Contemplations: Omaha Mass Transit

Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdez View Post
I've thought about this from time to time and eventually got bored one day and started planning out routes in Omaha. I thought about heavy and light rail and a combination of the two. I posted them on my blog:

Concepts & Contemplations: Omaha Mass Transit
I can see two changes that might help.

Remove the pink line all together and simply run the red line to offutt AFB. The two lines run nearly the same route already.

Extend the blue line to the mall of the bluffs. It's not much farther and would add an important destination to the line.

Now I would assume the lines running within the city would be streetcars like what omaha use to have. Light rail would mainly be for connecting cities (like your purple lines).

Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 11,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
I can see two changes that might help.

Remove the pink line all together and simply run the red line to offutt AFB. The two lines run nearly the same route already.

Extend the blue line to the mall of the bluffs. It's not much farther and would add an important destination to the line.

Now I would assume the lines running within the city would be streetcars like what omaha use to have. Light rail would mainly be for connecting cities (like your purple lines).
I have two different ideas on my blog, one is heavy rail based and the other uses existing railroad corridors and is more light rail based. I am not a big proponent of street cars. The ONLY place I've been too where street cars work is Portland Oregon. Everywhere else I've been, they've been a hinderance. They don't provide the value of a heavy/light rail line and also have the negative side effect of causing congestion for automobiles. In a car centric city like Omaha, I feel as though they'd be more of a hindrance and novelty than a beneficial mass transit system.

The pink line and light green line on the map you are referring too are alternate lines (light rail) for the red and green lines (subway) on the map.

Personally, I think the heavy rail (Subway) is more logical and economical in the long run for Omaha. However, politics in the future will probably dictate a cheaper option to meet a mass transit need. That is why I offered up a cheaper light rail option for my 2nd map.

The Mall of the Bluffs would be a good idea for an eastern terminus. Thanks for the input, I really don't know where good locations for stations are east of the Missouri.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM

The problem with light rail is it only stops at far placed stations. Street cars stop on every block making them FAR more useful within a city. Now that's not to say running limited light rail lines is a bad idea, in fact lines that run from south Omaha,west Omaha, and north Omaha to downtown would be useful. But to make every line in the city light rail would not work.

As for hindering automobile traffic, if it dose that significantly then it was poorly designed. A well designed system has a minimal impact on traffic. AND if it works well automobile traffic is reduced anyway, negating any negative impact.

Now for the subway idea, outside of downtown/midtown there is really not a need for it. Perhaps one day when population densities exceed 10k people per square mile in many areas. But today most of the city is just not dense enough. It is however worth planning for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha