U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM

906 posts, read 1,537,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
The problem with light rail is it only stops at far placed stations. .
That's exactly why light rail would be ideal in Omaha, which is more like a sprawling plate of spaghetti than a dense metropolis. Tons of people come downtown for work from far places like Village Point and Bellevue.

An east/west light rail line along Dodge St. from Village Point, with stops @ TD Ameritrade's new headquarters, Westroads/Whole Foods, UNO, and Midtown Crossing would make a ton of sense because that route already well traveled. I suppose if that was successful you could look at a 2nd line, North/South from Bellevue to downtown, with stops @ South O's downtown and the most dense part of Omaha around 24th/leavenworth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,342 times
They could easily test the theory of from Village Point to Downtown with a bus or two.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

816 posts, read 1,419,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
That's exactly why light rail would be ideal in Omaha, which is more like a sprawling plate of spaghetti than a dense metropolis. Tons of people come downtown for work from far places like Village Point and Bellevue.

An east/west light rail line along Dodge St. from Village Point, with stops @ TD Ameritrade's new headquarters, Westroads/Whole Foods, UNO, and Midtown Crossing would make a ton of sense because that route already well traveled. I suppose if that was successful you could look at a 2nd line, North/South from Bellevue to downtown, with stops @ South O's downtown and the most dense part of Omaha around 24th/leavenworth.
You failed to notice where I said...
"Now that's not to say running limited light rail lines is a bad idea, in fact lines that run from south Omaha,west Omaha, and north Omaha to downtown would be useful."

But no surprise there

Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
You failed to notice where I said...
No, I noticed it.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe_T3K View Post
They could easily test the theory of from Village Point to Downtown with a bus or two.
Yes, if buses were more reliable we could. But buses are subject to many variables that trains are not - traffic, weather, etc. Light rail arrives on time, every time, and is more likely to be used by all people, including affluent people who have busy schedules and value their time. Buses, on the other hand, sometimes arrive 10-15 minutes late, and are often used only by the mid to lower classes.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Yes, if buses were more reliable we could. But buses are subject to many variables that trains are not - traffic, weather, etc. Light rail arrives on time, every time, and is more likely to be used by all people, including affluent people who have busy schedules and value their time. Buses, on the other hand, sometimes arrive 10-15 minutes late, and are often used only by the mid to lower classes.

That makes sense. I didn't think of it from that point of view.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM

573 posts, read 877,842 times
Any news for the light rail?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Any news for the light rail?
Just released the latest findings in the study that will be completed in May. It laid out 3 possible transit improvements, one was a streetcar line from UNMC through Downtown and North Downtown. The other two were bus rapid transit projects on similar routes. Still a long was off until anything concrete.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM

624 posts, read 1,104,431 times
I'm really unimpressed by their three alternatives. They didn't even give light rail a chance, first of all. And I think their alignments are really lacking. It's like they expect all travel to occurr within the study area. They're over-simplifying it by trying to find one mode and alignment that will satisfy the needs of Omaha when in reality that's not going to happen. I sure hope they realize there needs to be better plans for extensions, as right now I see none. In my opinion, the only way they couldn't crap out a better plan is if they only do the streetcar. From what I've seen so far we're not ready to do rapid transit correctly. Stick with the streetcar.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,960 times
nothing is going to change or happen

it is all hot air as long as Curt Simon is ruining (I mean running METRO bus in Omaha)

better bus service (like a non express bus route that goes between oakview mall and westroads mall

(or westroads mall and the legacy shoppes at 168th and center area)

and more greener buses and maybe wifi system on the buses would help better the bus system in omaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or